Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
After the demise of my LA155 JD mower, I decided to look at zero turn mowers. After checking out Hustler, Exmark, Cub Cadets, John Deere, Gravely and Bush Hog, I decided to get a 61" Bush Hog professional grade zero turn mower. I've used it 3 times now and, in spite my slowness moving along the learning curve, really have been pleased with it. The dealer included the first service free, a mulching kit installed and a set of mulching blades also installed.

You can see by one picture I'm also using it to trim some of my wife's bushes / trees. :laugh:

So far I've managed to stay out of the flower bed. Saying that may have just jinxed me.:lol:

Attachments

Registered
Nice looking mower Uncle Wayne. Looks like a steep learning curve to me also going to a zero turn. They certainly do a nice mowing job. Keep us posted on it.

I am guessing that the color is crimson, not red. :laugh:

Don

Senior GTT Super Slacker
NICE! VERY NICE! Took me a while to figure out when mowing up tight to something only use one lever not both to get close. My guess is you are really going to like it.
Keep us posted.

Registered
Nice machine and a nice place you have. BTW, how much area do you mow?

Administrator
Nice machine UW! :drinks:

What made you choose this one over the competitors?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
Nice machine UW! :drinks:

What made you choose this one over the competitors?
Thanks. Except for the JD, which was much higher, the price was about the same on the others, out the door was $9500. 0% for 48 months but a couple of the other brands offered that as well. The Bush Hog had a little better capacity on the hydraulic motors than the others and the dealer / shop is only 6 miles from my house. The dealer I bought from is a friend and we graduated high school together. His shop will change the oil, grease, clean, and sharpen the blades for $40. If your mower is in his shop for repair and he can't get it out in 3 days, he'll loan you a mower. I knew another classmate of ours who had bought the same mower from the same dealer and he was very pleased with the mower and service. He mows a little more than I will with his mower and is very satisfied with it.

I wanted the JD but was not going to pay $4K more for their equivalent mower.:thumbsdown:

Registered
8 acres? HOLY SCHNIKES thats a big yard!!! Congrats on your purchase!

Registered

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
8 acres? HOLY SCHNIKES thats a big yard!!! Congrats on your purchase!
That's a lot of mowing!
That 8 acres is not all together. It is divided between 3 different places. That's one reason I could justify spending the extra bucks to get a "professional" grade mower. The going rate for a 2+ acre yard is $100 in my part of the country. And that's if you allow them to mow it each week. Skip a week and it's higher than that.

Senior GTT Super Slacker
That 8 acres is not all together. It is divided between 3 different places. That's one reason I could justify spending the extra bucks to get a "professional" grade mower. The going rate for a 2+ acre yard is $100 in my part of the country. And that's if you allow them to mow it each week. Skip a week and it's higher than that.
When we first got our Z the wife would not use it, the learning curve to her was bad. I VERY rarely mow any of our 6 acres of grass now. How we lived without the Z is beyond me. Just Sayin!

Registered
I was mowing 3 acres of lawn at my last place. I totally agree there is no better mower for acreage. I had a Dixie Chopper and loved it. But also understand the argument for having a dealer 6 miles away. When I bought mine in 2003 there were only a few brands nearby. The DC was super fast (my estate model was rated at 8 MPH).

When I saw your tree, I remember my learning curve story. We had a buried LP tank (1000 gallons) with the metal access hatch for the regulator and fill. I was heading towards it going too fast on wet grass. I tried to correct and failed. Nailed it with the mower deck. Bent the ring so much that the lid never closed right again. At the time, I could not tell if it was enough bend to have impacted the regulator or worse the stack coming up from the tank. I immediately jumped off of my machine and shut it down. I heard gas! It was summer time so no furnace in use. I frantically turned off the tank. And then thought, "but the water heater and dryer are both gas dummy!". Sure enough, there was no leak, just the water heater running. But at the time, I was sure I had cracked a line.

You will learn to really make good time on that machine. With only a 50" deck I was mowing those 3 acres in just over an hour. I had many trees, shed, 300 ft of fenceline (mowed both sides), and more to trim around.

Enjoy your machine.

Lee

Registered
I get out of mowing by putting more stuff out there....if there's tractors, trucks and implements all over out there it takes me about 20 minutes to zig zag around and im done....I hate mowing....I usually mow the first time for the year when the grass is tall enough to tickle the dogs belly...but you cant see my house from the road and my closest neighbor is a mile away :laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts