Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the pictures of Randym's shop, the kennyd projects, and Steve (jenkinsph) "home brew" implements and was feeling a little inadequate. So like any other red blooded tractor lover, it's time to compensate.

Here's two shots of my electronics "shop".

Top shelf, right to left:
"junk" generator, 50Khz to 1GHz on top of line voltage variac (auto transformer).
100 KHz sine/square generator (And old Heathkit I built in 1969)
Black box above that is a waveform generator I built from scratch.
0-50V 1.5A power supply, another Heathkit
1-20V 20A HP power supply
Another Heathkit, an old 0-15V, .5A adjustable

Middle Shelf:
HP 10 KHz to 1GHz Rf generator, on top of that is 0 to 5 MHz programmable waveform generator.
10 to 100KHz FFT audio waveform analyzer.
10 KHz to 1.8GHz spectrum analyzer with tracking generator, on top of that is 400 MHz dual channel digital scope, 1K sample memory (circa 1995)
16 channel logic analyzer, 1K sample memory (circa 1998), on top of that is 6 1/2 digit multi-meter, measures down to the microvolt level, on top of that is a frequency counter.
Bench power supply, 0-6V at 5A, +- 0-25V, 1A

Bottom:
Another bench power supply.
Hi-Pot tester, goes up to 5KV AC, 7.5KV DC
2008 300 MHz 4 channel analog and 16 channel digital MSO scope, big screen, 2 giga-samples/sec, 8 mega samples, with various protocol analyzers. It doesn't get better than this!

Bench is 4' x 8', shelves are 2' deep so can stack up the equipment and still have work space. It's U shapped, have 2 mores sides with more computers and stuff. Also have 2 more workbenches, shelves and shelves of parts, another big closet with parts and then there's the basement with more older equipment and more parts and some metal working stuff. Shop is 1500 sq feet, has a small kitchen, 3 ton heat pump.

Next shot is main computer area (have another by the workbench, and another to the right of this picture). Apple MAC with 6 screens, two of them are the 32" 2500 pixel ones. Security camera TV, right most display is also a TV. This "desk" is two 4x8 area with the corner, so equipment does not eat up depth of the desk. No front legs so you can take the chair around to any point. Building your own desks and workbenches is important since what's available commercially is just not big enough. There is room to get around to the back of the desk and the workbenches for getting at cables. No such thing as too much horse power, no such thing as too much screen area.

Yep, I'm bragging (hopefully amongst friends) and I feel better now.

Anyone else got space for their non-tractor passions they want to share?

Pete

Attachments

· Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kenny, what a great setup you have! No wonder you just keep cranking out cool projects :good2:.

Steve, sounds like you can't get that new building up fast enough! I spent 2.5 years in high end audio electronics design. I loved the work but hated audiophiles. The stubbornness and inflexibility of the audiophiles blend perfectly with the insane management and the company went under.

The audio analyzer was around $7K. Without a tracking generator, it's about $1500 less. There is a price premium paid for having a stand along unit, but having the analyzer separate from the 'scope is a win. There's a whole new class of test equipment that connects to your PC via USB bus that's a cheaper way to go. If I was doing basic test equipment for audio today, I'd look at buying cheap PCs and these sorts of boxes. When you get to a point where you want to play, we can work on finding some good equipment. I've got a $12K analyzer in the basement I don't use, it's a "connect to the PC" and the software is out of date (so there is a down side to the PC approach). Also have an old HP RF spectrum analyzer and a Tektronics 96 channel logic analyzer that I don't use much since the days of looking at the address and data bus of a processor are gone. Some guys have old tractors and attachments lying around, I've got old test equipment. I guess the good news is that it takes less space to store the electronics stuff.

There's just not enough resources (a.k.a. time & money) in life...

Here's a shot of my metal working area. The only stuff I tend to do is simple chassis for electronic enclosures. The break and shear is the most used piece of equipment, then the drill press. Kenny, that's great organization you have on your stuff. I'm good on electronics parts, but not on nuts and bolts. You can also see why I'm on the edge with a welder. So close, but it would just suck time out of me I don't have...

Pete

Attachments

· Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fun Story: I got all this back in 1994. The project I was working on was on a tight schedule and I had to do a "risk production" on a chassis. That means that the chassis drawings I made went right to production with no samples or prototypes! The company I was working with at the time want to stay on schedule, so I had them buy me all this stuff for about $4K or so. Chassis came in with one hole off by about .020, and another by about .025. Had a weld shop make up a jig to hold the chassis, milled 'em, project was on time (and even with this equipment, below budget - that's how you keep getting work).

When I stopped working with the company, they wanted all the equipment they sent or I bought sent back. Asked how big their shipping dock was, got ???? back, and when we talked it out they realized they had no use for this stuff and said "keep it." On time and below budget = good relationship.

Anyway, this is all from Enco. The Brake/sheer was about $600? or so, and the table was about $125 (in 1994). The milling machine is a Taiwan knock off of a Bridgeport, a part per part copy (didn't know that when I got it, didn't like it when I found out). Remember I said I used this for chassis work? That means that an end accuracy of even as bad as .005" is fine for anything I do. Making chassis, not building engines. Milling machine is probably good to a 1 mil.

The shear is good for up to .064 aluminum, and .050 steel. A combination tool (shear, brake, and round former) has the usual jack of all trade trades off. If I were buying today, I'd want a shear good for up to .090 aluminum. I have to cut that with a scroll saw and then smooth with the milling machine so it takes a lot of time. Most of my raw "stock" is leftover chassis from many projects I've done over the years.

So, for chassis work this was a great setup at great price (for the company, for me it was a fantastic price).

Pete

· Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A clean desk is a sign of an empty mind.

Waste is the byproduct of productivity.

:unknown:

Pete

· Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So you get more space, then you buy more stuff, then you get more space....

lather, rinse, repeat.

Such is the life of a project whore :lol:.

Pete

· Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Drool. :thumbup1gif:

Between the equipment, accessories, and organization, well, yeah, "shop envy" is the right term.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.