Green Tractor Talk banner

My "other" (non tractor) shop - any others out there?

5815 Views 29 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  deeregator
I was thinking about the pictures of Randym's shop, the kennyd projects, and Steve (jenkinsph) "home brew" implements and was feeling a little inadequate. So like any other red blooded tractor lover, it's time to compensate.

Here's two shots of my electronics "shop".

Top shelf, right to left:
"junk" generator, 50Khz to 1GHz on top of line voltage variac (auto transformer).
100 KHz sine/square generator (And old Heathkit I built in 1969)
Black box above that is a waveform generator I built from scratch.
0-50V 1.5A power supply, another Heathkit
1-20V 20A HP power supply
Another Heathkit, an old 0-15V, .5A adjustable

Middle Shelf:
HP 10 KHz to 1GHz Rf generator, on top of that is 0 to 5 MHz programmable waveform generator.
10 to 100KHz FFT audio waveform analyzer.
10 KHz to 1.8GHz spectrum analyzer with tracking generator, on top of that is 400 MHz dual channel digital scope, 1K sample memory (circa 1995)
16 channel logic analyzer, 1K sample memory (circa 1998), on top of that is 6 1/2 digit multi-meter, measures down to the microvolt level, on top of that is a frequency counter.
Bench power supply, 0-6V at 5A, +- 0-25V, 1A

Bottom:
Another bench power supply.
Hi-Pot tester, goes up to 5KV AC, 7.5KV DC
2008 300 MHz 4 channel analog and 16 channel digital MSO scope, big screen, 2 giga-samples/sec, 8 mega samples, with various protocol analyzers. It doesn't get better than this!

Bench is 4' x 8', shelves are 2' deep so can stack up the equipment and still have work space. It's U shapped, have 2 mores sides with more computers and stuff. Also have 2 more workbenches, shelves and shelves of parts, another big closet with parts and then there's the basement with more older equipment and more parts and some metal working stuff. Shop is 1500 sq feet, has a small kitchen, 3 ton heat pump.

Next shot is main computer area (have another by the workbench, and another to the right of this picture). Apple MAC with 6 screens, two of them are the 32" 2500 pixel ones. Security camera TV, right most display is also a TV. This "desk" is two 4x8 area with the corner, so equipment does not eat up depth of the desk. No front legs so you can take the chair around to any point. Building your own desks and workbenches is important since what's available commercially is just not big enough. There is room to get around to the back of the desk and the workbenches for getting at cables. No such thing as too much horse power, no such thing as too much screen area.

Yep, I'm bragging (hopefully amongst friends) and I feel better now.

Anyone else got space for their non-tractor passions they want to share?

Pete

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
I feel your pain as I have that problem of playing musical chairs in the garage to do anything. Is your basement shop a walkout, or are you hampered by stairs like I am?

I would like to have all my stuff in one roomy place on one level and no stairs to deal with.
Preciesly my current problem...For example, to use my "Stand Portaband", I move the Disc/Belt sander to the floor....constantly playing musical chairs with my tools. Mini Lathe stays tucked in the corner until i need it, etc... Adds alot of time to any project when "setup & teardown" is involved.
Yep, I'm hampered with stairs...no daylight basement here.
Long range plans is for all the metal related tools to end up in the future shop and wood/model building related tools stay in the basement shop....
I feel your pain as I have that problem of playing musical chairs in the garage to do anything. Is your basement shop a walkout, or are you hampered by stairs like I am?

I would like to have all my stuff in one roomy place on one level and no stairs to deal with.
Update 11-14-11

Here is some of my pictures I took today with my phone. They show two major areas in my basement, one is the woodshop, and the other is the metalshop.

Things look a little cluttered in the woodshop now, I have two projects going on-first is a entertainment center I started a long time ago, but have since lots motivation to complete-but I just bought a new Samsung 55" LED TV so my motivation is returning. The second is the build of a 24"x48" sandblast cabinet using most free acquired materials.

Highlights in the woodshop:
-10" Grizzly table saw
-14" Grizzly band saw
-Large Grizzly drill press with custom table, two fences, and a X-Y vice I can put in place of the table. It also has a laser guide.
-Dust collection cyclone system with 6" S&D pipe
-Homebuilt router table
-Miter saw station with extensions and dust shroud
-Homebuilt air filtration hanging on the ceiling

Highlights in the metalshop:
-Grizzly Mill/Drill, I hate this thing! But I get by with it for now
-10" Clausing lathe (Under the blanket) Beter pictures in my Picasa album
-Shelving with bins for bolts/hardware, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" is well stocked as well as plenty of screws.
-Countertop/cabinets...I do everything there including some electronics work.
Now that the Mill/Drill is gone :dance: and Bridgeport is home I thought I would update this thread. I re-did the whole metal shop side before I moved the new mill downstairs.

Attachments

Kenny:

I don't know anything about machine work, but that sure is a nice shop.

Thanks for the pictures.
Well hell Kenny...I'm going to need to see a shrink to deal with my issues of "shop inadequacy" thanks to you. :laugh: :good2:
That shop is far from complete.

That shop is missing chips on the floor. Looking good Ken, thanks for the up date. :thumbup1gif:
Kennyd,
With all that stuff, when do you find time to doing anything?:lol:
Taking the 5th:bye2:
Kennyd,
With all that stuff, when do you find time to doing anything?:lol:
Drool. :thumbup1gif:

Between the equipment, accessories, and organization, well, yeah, "shop envy" is the right term.

Pete
Clean shop

I just came in from my knife shop and found this thread. All I can think is you guys not only vacuum after every project . You vacuum, dust, and mop after every step of a project.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.