Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 1948 ford 8N that resides at our property in the Ozarks. I purchased a tractor four years ago, primarily for brush hogging and food plot work. Although the 8N can be cantankerous at times, the tractor has skidded its share of logs from the woods and plowed the rock infested stuff they call soil here in the Ozarks. It's also been put to use pulling a 4x4 pickup out of the mud and mire on a couple occasions.

Other then sharing a a plow and brush hog that I'll transport down once a year, the 8N will likely never share a shed with the John Deere. It's still on the original 6v system and sometimes even starts. Good times!

IMG_3772.JPG

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Very nice. My dad just bought a mostly restored one not to long ago. A '47 8N.
I'll be out in your state in another week working somewhere between Rolla and Cape Fair.:dunno:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think the 8N is THE classic tractor- always admired them. Your 8N looks like a very nice one.

I'd love to own one but Mrs. Rod might call an attorney if I add any more tractors to the herd.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This 8N saw service as the primary tractor on a small Missouri farm the first dozen years, then it served as a utility tractor for 40 years and finally as grain elevator power source. The PTO shaft is really worn from its last job, but still works. It's been repainted at some time, however, it's not really restored. I had to replace a rear wheel that rusted out from 60 plus years of sodium chloride. Currently the tires are empty, and since the tractor does not have an FEL, I have not encountered a need for filled tires for the work I do with the 8N.

For me, the N series tractors are a piece of Americana. The fact that so many are still in use today is a testiment to the original design.

56FordGuy, Godspeed on restoring the family 8N. I enjoyed checking out some of your videos.
zachinCO, I hope you enjoy you're time in Missouri. You'll be on the eastern edge of the Ozarks, whereas I'm on the west. I have a 40 acre walk-in-access only property I lease to a cattle farmer not too far from where you'll be, adjacent to the Mark Twain National Forest. I hope you will have time to see the country. Rolla was rated by some group as the worst city in Missouri. I believe the area is quite nice. Probably a lack of Starbucks on every corner or the fact folks there are conservative.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
zachinCO, I hope you enjoy you're time in Missouri. You'll be on the eastern edge of the Ozarks, whereas I'm on the west. I have a 40 acre walk-in-access only property I lease to a cattle farmer not too far from where you'll be, adjacent to the Mark Twain National Forest. I hope you will have time to see the country. Rolla was rated by some group as the worst city in Missouri. I believe the area is quite nice. Probably a lack of Starbucks on every corner or the fact folks there are conservative.
I'll enjoy it as much as possible, except the ticks, never enjoy them.
Rolla is an interesting town, folks are pretty nice. Had a few bites at the Tater Patch, pretty good eats. We'll see where I end up next week. All depends on where the crew out there now stops off.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
356, nice looking 8N. :thumbup1gif: I always liked the old N series Ford tractor.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those have a soft spot in my heart. I grew up playing around on my grandpa's farm with an 8N. Funny thing is, I don't think I ever turned the key to start it. Grandpa always said to hop on up and he'd take a screwdriver in one hand, cane in the other, reach under the hood and fire it up. I've often kicked myself for not coughing up the cash to buy and restore it when we sold off his estate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts