Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son Elvis is a Union Pipefitter, and his work takes him far from home at times.
A few months ago, he was complaining about hotel / motel expenses out of town on construction projects.
It seems motels were ranging $350.00 - $375.00 a week, or more, when local motels realized some of their customers were on construction projects located close to them, which encouraged the motel owners to raise their rates, knowing these folks needed housing close to the project they were working on. (Capitalism, at it's finest).
I suggested he buy a travel trailer, and stay at nearby campgrounds. He asked me to help him find one that was decent, so, I did.
I found him a 1999 Innsbruck, new roof coating, 5 new tires including the spare, A/C, Central Heating, 3-burner stove, refrigerator/freezer, kitchen, dining, full bath with shower, Queen bed, and only 19' long, EAZY to pull with his new Nissan Frontier Crew Cab with automatic and 4-wheel drive.
Long story short, in the past 12 weeks of use, he's already surpassed hotel expenses and essentially paid for his camper that was bought fair at $3,000.00.
Now, he's AHEAD of "the game", and, doesn't have to put up with drunks and crack-heads and parking lot hookers who frequent those hotel / motel dives.
He's mighty happy now, well, as happy as someone can be who has to make his living "on the road". :thumbup1gif:
Here's a pic of his set-up.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
After living in a camper for over 3 months, I've decided I'll never do the camper thing again. I had a nice 35' camper with a slide out and "full" bathroom. I've taken the last 3 minute shower in my life.
I did the same thing, only a bit smaller....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466725574.757302.jpg

But, like you, it served a purpose to attain a goal. I would do it again if I needed to. :good2:

If I were to need to do it again, I'd get a class A or C motorhome, not a slide-in. Maybe later in life? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,933 Posts
Nice setup.

Years ago FIL stayed in his 27' camper off an on for over 4 years. When we had our 19' I've stated weeks at a time at County fairs and other events, and still drive to work from the event.

At one point ,wasn't sure where my job might take me, wife told me her and the girls would be here at the house.:banghead:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I did the same thing, only a bit smaller....

View attachment 199482

But, like you, it served a purpose to attain a goal. I would do it again if I needed to. :good2:

If I were to need to do it again, I'd get a class A or C motorhome, not a slide-in. Maybe later in life? :dunno:
Why not a class B?:unknown::laugh:

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Good deal, Bill.

Most of the guys(contract workers) working in the refineries and chemical plants, live in their campers during Turn-Arounds. They get paid a Per Diem during this time. The Per Diem rate more than covers the cost for the camping spot.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Having an RV as a secondary base of operations is WAY BETTER than a hotel/motel in almost every case...and the longer the assignment the more this is true. This applies to a small truck camper and a larger rig as well...particularly the latter.

I am doing this now on a somewhat different scale. In late 2008 when the market for large motor coaches was very soft, I was working in an adjacent state and decided to pick up a unit that would serve my needs. Since that time I have sold my home here in Oregon and bought in another state, but continue to work for my Oregon-based employer so now that same motor home is my residence for about two-thirds of the time (I can work from my home office one month out of three...)

My coach is a bit more well equipped than my former travel trailer that I used for deer and elk hunting -- and therefore more suited to 'full-timing' in a full hook-up RV park. I have a residential refrigerator of 23 cu ft capacity, a washer & separate dryer, a walk in closet and a relatively roomy shower (the shower in the camp trailer was less than half the size...) In short it lives about like a small house, and of course it drives somewhat like a small house as well. Here is a picture of my "home away from home" which is 42 feet long.

IMG_1563.JPG

...by the way Tonton, my showers are never limited to a short interval (the heater is not one of those little 6 gallon units) and there is a 100 gallon fresh water tank on board for when I am not connected to shore services. However, I can relate to your statement, as when I was building my off-grid home several decades ago, the three of us managed on 110 gallons of fresh water a WEEK...in an old 23 foot Aristocrat travel trailer!

Chuck

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nice coach Chuck!!

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
That's a good deal Bill. I did the same thing when I was a kid working construction out of town. Took my living expense and lived in my trailer on the job site. Came out ahead for sure. I still love living out of a trailer, in fact we are on the road right now. It helps me to live as a minimalist once in a while to appreciate the blessings of home. Plus, we just plain love camping with our Lil Loafer.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Until I was about 10, our family of four lived in a 35' RV year round, all over the country following construction. After that we only travelled when school was out. It's an interesting way to earn a living, and he'll definitely come out better financially than staying in motels. :good2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts