Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As always i would like to thank the members of GTT. I have been in the market for a trailer since early spring, Naturally I searched GTT. After some reading I soon realized the debate over utility trailer vs car hauler, The pros and con's at a dead heat, I decided to try and order a trailer that had most of the combined benefits for our use with sub compact tractors.

As I searched for a new trailer, I always wanted to see pictures, so I am going to post a $hit load of Pics:bigbeer::bigbeer::bigbeer:!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
As always i would like to thank the members of GTT. I have been in the market for a trailer since early spring, Naturally I searched GTT. After some reading I soon realized the debate over utility trailer vs car hauler, The pros and con's at a dead heat, I decided to try and order a trailer that had most of the combined benefits for our use with sub compact tractors.

As I searched for a new trailer, I always wanted to see pictures, so I am going to post a $hit load of Pics:bigbeer::bigbeer::bigbeer:!
2 pictures aint a $hit load... wheres the rest? :laugh:

Nice trailer!! Longer tounge is a plus, like the side step platform in front of the fenders... Looks like a 5' gate? I have 3 trailers and one has springs on the gate, they are great, but if you want to remove the gate they are a PITA..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 pictures aint a $hit load... wheres the rest? :laugh:

Nice trailer!! Longer tounge is a plus, like the side step platform in front of the fenders... Looks like a 5' gate? I have 3 trailers and one has springs on the gate, they are great, but if you want to remove the gate they are a PITA..
I agree, I was looking at it and thinking this would be a pain to take off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing that sold me was the ramps, I really liked the 5' ramps with the knees.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That's a nice trailer.:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I like it! And the knees, haven't seen this before. That is the best feature. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's a gorgeous trailer. Well done!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Nice looking trailer,,just wondering can the ramps fold down to the floor of the trailer when towing a empty trailer? I wish mine would , sure it would help with gas mileage.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Nice trailer nicksteck.
It's all about the dovetail. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
The knees on the gate are fantastic. I had an 18' tandem axle landscape trailer with a single gate that had a knee that ran the entire width (also spring loaded). A lot of places that I mowed it was impossible to find a level place to unload and that knee would keep the truck planted properly when going off and on the gate.

I guess since my gate was spring loaded it wouldn't lay flat - I could really feel the drag when running empty.

The one thing I noticed about your new trailer are the axles seem mounted so far to the rear - seems like that would put give a lot of extra hitch weight depending on what/how you were loading.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The knees on the gate are fantastic. I had an 18' tandem axle landscape trailer with a single gate that had a knee that ran the entire width (also spring loaded). A lot of places that I mowed it was impossible to find a level place to unload and that knee would keep the truck planted properly when going off and on the gate.

I guess since my gate was spring loaded it wouldn't lay flat - I could really feel the drag when running empty.

The one thing I noticed about your new trailer are the axles seem mounted so far to the rear - seems like that would put give a lot of extra hitch weight depending on what/how you were loading.

I noticed taking it home the wind drag, kinda wish I went with the 4' ramp. The trailer is a car hauler so I don't know if that makes a difference on axle placement?

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,514 Posts
Fine trailer. :bigthumb: I especially like the Ramp/Tailgate combo. :good2:
:yahoo:

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
I noticed taking it home the wind drag, kinda wish I went with the 4' ramp. The trailer is a car hauler so I don't know if that makes a difference on axle placement?
Yep - being a car hauler the axle placement makes sense. On my 18' landscape trailer the center of the front axle of the tandems was center of the bed. It was a little too far forward for my liking but makes sense for loading a few different sized machines like commercial landscapers would.

While the 4' vs. 5' gate might make some difference in wind drag I don't think it would be that much. The longer gate will prove itself much more useful I think when loading low clearance equipment/vehicles.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also had them add a rub rail, i figured the more points to tie down the better. It came with 20 stake pockets, 8 per side and 4 along the front. I bought 8 d-rings for the stake pockets. I used a friends utility trailer last fall to bring my 1025 to the dealer, I couldn't believe the lack of tie down spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
nicksteck, did you get the trailer from Johnson Trailer Sales? How were they to work with? I'll be in the market for a similar trailer later this fall.

I like the rub rail and stake pockets with the drop in D rings. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
nice trailer their, I have a 16 ft mid-alantic landscaper with the fold down ramp, but mine is solid, so I added the gorilla lift, what a difference u can lift it with my foot. now I have never seen them type of d-rings, and ur right I have no place to tie things down good. just put radial tires on mine today.big jim:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: nicksteck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nicksteck, did you get the trailer from Johnson Trailer Sales? How were they to work with? I'll be in the market for a similar trailer later this fall.

Yes I did, great experience start to finish. I had read some reviews on line about them being hard to work with, I did not see that at all. When I showed up to order it I worked with an older couple that owned the company and I think the son worked there also. Very helpful, asked what I needed it for, gave me some advise, it was very nice to work with them. I was also impressed after talking with a guy there that owned a landscaping company, he said he had bought cheaper trailers in the past, and now he was going to order his dream trailer, whats great is the price is the same weather you buy it off the lot or special order it. He also talked me into the dovetail and 5 ft ramps with the knees, he told me that without the dove tail, you better find flat ground or a slight incline to drop the ramps on otherwise you will scrape the deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep - being a car hauler the axle placement makes sense. On my 18' landscape trailer the center of the front axle of the tandems was center of the bed. It was a little too far forward for my liking but makes sense for loading a few different sized machines like commercial landscapers would.

While the 4' vs. 5' gate might make some difference in wind drag I don't think it would be that much. The longer gate will prove itself much more useful I think when loading low clearance equipment/vehicles.
I am pulling it with a 2500HD, I like the extra tongue weight, I have a Ranger 620 and the axles are set back on that also, it pulls real nice.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

ErikR,

Here is a list of the trailer and options I went with:

20' car hauler with 32" dovetail $2737
rub rail 75
5' split tractor ramp with knees 275
Aluminum tool box 199
LED lights 75
heavy duty fenders 100
spare tire 109
spare mount (not mounted) 50
10 - stake pocket D-ring 200

I liked how the heavy duty fenders are welded to the frame. As far as I can tell all 4 tires have brakes on them.

Hope this helps your trailer shopping.

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thank you Nick, that's a great looking trailer. I've been checking out the Johnson Trailer Sales web site, nice stuff. I'll keep those options in mind when it's time to buy.

Erik.

Oh, and thank you for all the pictures!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts