Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this 16' trailer new 19 years ago with 3500# axles & slide-in ramps. When I brought Dad's 720D home, I needed heavier capacity. GARDEN TRACTORS 043.jpg Went back to the builder, traded in the 3500# axles, wheels & springs for 6000#. Later, after cancer treatments, the ramps were just too heavy, so back for the 5' ramp-gate. Picture 256.jpg Then back for the addition of a rear receiver tube to pull a second trailer on occasion. HPIM3895 (Custom).JPG

Now, with the longer finish mower I bought this year, I needed more space to balance the load by moving back a foot or so. Back to the builder again after show season to add a 2' dovetail & cut down the heavy 5' ramp-gate. Another $1000 invested (trailer originally cost $2000 19 years ago). I picked it up this morning, Pictures 2015 001 (9).JPG Pictures 2015 002 (7).JPG They cut the gate 16", making it super easy for this old coot to lift! Going to us Rustoleum spray bed liner on the tread plate dovetail & Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black on the rest. Whole trailer needs fresh paint, but not now!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Looks good grnspot110.
What's on the other side of the cable to pull the ramp up?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looks like your builder did a fine job incorporating the beaver tail onto the existing trailer. After a coat of paint it will look as if its always been that way.

I can't really tell from the pick, but were you able to keep your hitch with the beaver tail for tandem towing, or did the beaver tail put the receiver too low?

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like your builder did a fine job incorporating the beaver tail onto the existing trailer. After a coat of paint it will look as if its always been that way.

I can't really tell from the pick, but were you able to keep your hitch with the beaver tail for tandem towing, or did the beaver tail put the receiver too low?
It's there, but I'll have to use a different drawbar.

"Gizmo2
Looks good grnspot110.
What's on the other side of the cable to pull the ramp up?"

Garage door springs, they also left one of the hinge springs on!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
"Gizmo2
Looks good grnspot110.
What's on the other side of the cable to pull the ramp up?"

Garage door springs, they also left one of the hinge springs on!
WAAAY Cool! :thumbup1gif:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
I bought this 16' trailer new 19 years ago with 3500# axles & slide-in ramps. When I brought Dad's 720D home, I needed heavier capacity.
Went back to the builder, traded in the 3500# axles, wheels & springs for 6000#. Later, after cancer treatments, the ramps were just too heavy, so back for the 5' ramp-gate. Then back for the addition of a rear receiver tube to pull a second trailer on occasion. View attachment 95425
You're your own parade there grnspot!!:lol:

Nice work on the trailer.:good2:

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
I like seeing how you made the trailer work for you along the way - nice upgrades!

And the pic pulling 2 trailers - I must admit I've never seen anything like that except for big truck doubles.

·
Administrator
18,300 Posts
And the pic pulling 2 trailers - I must admit I've never seen anything like that except for big truck doubles.
You see that out west a lot, a dually pickup towing a big RV towing a boat or ATV trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
You may want to double check with MO laws to avoid problems, if you have already done so. My understanding is that pulling a second trailer behind a bumper pull trailer is not allowed????? Maybe that is just KS. However, I understand it is allowed behind 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers. My gooseneck tandem dually deckover trailer has a factory installed 2 inch receiver in the rear.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went past three MO hwy patrolmen with this load (longest load I've towed) several years ago, they never came after me: 3346.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Trailer looks great! You certainly have gotten your use out it over the last 19 years:good2:

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,687 Posts
That's a few nice additions. Nice to have a person to go back to and do those modifications.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
You may want to double check with MO laws to avoid problems, if you have already done so. My understanding is that pulling a second trailer behind a bumper pull trailer is not allowed????? Maybe that is just KS. However, I understand it is allowed behind 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers. My gooseneck tandem dually deckover trailer has a factory installed 2 inch receiver in the rear.

Dave
Same in MI, NO doubles with bumper pull, 5th wheel or gooseneck only. My worry would be if I were involved in an accident, regardless of fault, if it turns out pulling double is illegal.

Reactions: Jim Timber

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Same in MI, NO doubles with bumper pull, 5th wheel or gooseneck only. My worry would be if I were involved in an accident, regardless of fault, if it turns out pulling double is illegal.
And to make matters even more confusing, some states require a "Combination Vehicle" endorsement on your license.

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
My concern would be that I would get into a situation where I would have to back up. :banghead:
Yeah, you gotta kind of pay attention to where you are going.

And they don't call them wiggle wagons (doubles) for nothing!

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
My concern would be that I would get into a situation where I would have to back up. :banghead:
Have done that tried that with a tractor pulling two wagons full of sugarcane back in the day, causes your brain
to want to explode and your eyes get all tangled up and the guy trying to ground guide you is pointing in
two different directions at the same time. :banghead: :banghead: :lol:

Reactions: etcallhome and rtgt

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, you gotta kind of pay attention to where you are going.

And they don't call them wiggle wagons (doubles) for nothing!
Not if they're loaded properly!

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Not if they're loaded properly!
In your setup you are correct. Commercial doubles with dolly converters are a bit different. You have to have a very steady hand on the wheel with those. Triples are even worse, but I've never had the pleasure of pulling those.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
In your setup you are correct. Commercial doubles with dolly converters are a bit different. You have to have a very steady hand on the wheel with those. Triples are even worse, but I've never had the pleasure of pulling those.
I was a mechanic for a trucking company when they decided to start running doubles. I've never heard so many grown men whining and crying in my life as those drivers did. :laugh:

RV 'doubles' are super common out here during vacation season. Folks will take their RV, then have a boat or some ATVs on a smaller trailer behind it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts