Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, we had an oak tree with Root Rot blow part of the way over onto a Hickory tree

WXQyELsdG58NA2dFvOwQOJ6UW7ZsFUzzTttc_ngmkZq89jQY6yYBifTW1aObRlb4UrdSiRzJFLlBCypg00ATBj-7I--AJaJp.jpg

Eventually the hickory gave in and they both fell to the ground

tVYeaHrm60SVtCBrIAnthBxJ6y1SbP_DCUCLN23tf_4n1tlgqqN5wJnhgDNcqZBgwe-ry7qjQ-JlFE6q6GcmKxN70tS9mADw.jpg

I cut several logs and picked out 6 to take to the mill. Here I am killing a few minutes, since I got there early (it was a dream pulling this load with Blue. The Ecoboost and 10 speed just puttered along)

nDdL3yMfFmMwbcuwFo9zi1Su6ZFBgeU-Ul5m1rH99UWCB57qo-AU_G6qK3IUQOpWWzNNGHGdtUMTL658yg-RfP0yRPeJw-s9.jpg

This particular place, which I picked purely by the personality of the owner, runs two Woodmizer LT40 sawmills. The one on the right has been widened and had a diesel engine transplant. It's a monster.

xZQiI85VmYU_AZgX5DFBZeE__6tx05P_-GJ5IoR2U1E2-dm8j1h6WK-sFweitwnHk7t47ZBrFqK9JP73FWMm8YHRRcdFNssp.jpg

pVS_FwPnPH29VVeS6Or28nLYZIsZNOASsVzb3kG28R6e-2GDdQuLh_4X8jMpVh30EYTcdCX84hhQexSjTxzFFfjtK5kQR9tQ.jpg

GGBG_CcX52izp8wXqYAKFu9PWWwx5Lk9DU1sg_VJnBphMfAQVaHI-qQ9k_T6BJgyZoZO2kNNOBX3JOinnUwBJZOHxqZBJjS6.jpg

I got all 6/4 and 4/4. Some live edge, mostly just clean boards as wide as they could get.

fXldR1DL5KK6_N2qfJSunL_m4Y_xD-Y5ctuTHTNm29EcozINwttWMKPMxiTEMO44yg4yHgG0xIwt2IrnU-aP4aA4f5puhjyS.jpg

WWGF7qsxcfB-cnhn3zftIBSFWJwpsjS-aOHHQp39ZKeFU2PwC-QqTno2JcFw4NrdCJIQq6L44q_yQJW7nNTTr6k-frDk4uRd.jpg

I ended up with 680 board feet that is going to get Kiln dried.

8g_EirUuVARoP9kc1jBkSuOJJYKiTd6Orw2-Tv71460eQRieuo5oTqHj96Pm0bk6vu3sUhMYy6LO8v1jWD6d0fILN-Ax1v7s.jpg

I picked through the scraps and took a few pieces for little projects with me. I could have taken a lot, but I've got almost 700 bf of lumber to store in a couple of months. :laugh:

SOZleazpfjC5c-mxLVruKts6ytW5FMWIl19CrbQPborv0Wpf4KPqKgesqvp8A0v_TDyIHuAgE2_23fFQLYkduDt2ODayi5Z_.jpg

Mrs. Bubber was confused when that was all I brought home today. :laugh:

I'll post up some video later this evening.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The picture of the boards being stacked brings back flashbacks to my two summers working in a very large lumber mill in the very early 80s. It was a computerized industrial type of place, computerized saws that figured out the optimal way to cut to maximize the output. I worked on the back end after the boards were sawn, with computers sorting the cut boards into bins of dimensional lumber of different sizes. A machine that ran on railroad tracks ran back and forth between the bins as they filled up, using chains to pull the lumber up to a flat area to form a layer, then when it got a full layer, it had arms that lifted that layer up and set it over on the other side where that size lumber was being stacked.

My job? Put those sticks in between the layers. In the hot summer sun of humid eastern NC. 8 hours a day. :banghead::banghead: It was a learning experience in that I learned I never wanted to work a job like that again!

Nice lumber by the way! I can't wait to see the video!

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Hydraulic woodmizer's are my dream saw. For now we just have an old Norwood manual saw.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's cool. What do you do with the wood that you saw?
We have built raised bed gardens, barn repair, sliding door for the cattle corral. My brother is currently building a 12 x 16 shed and we are gathering the material to build one the same size.

·
Premium Member
13,324 Posts
That's pretty cool Bubber :good2: there's just something very rewarding about building something from "your own milled lumber" :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My dream of ever owning a sawmill went down the driveway this spring,,,

Those trailer sides are over 8 feet tall,, imagine how many board feet there are in this pic,,
The longest log is 16 feet long.

That is OK, I am too old to plane a board,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks for your post. I was thinking of a chain saw mill, but this is a more attractive option I had not considered. We have a mill about 20 miles from us, and he charges 50/cents board foot. This might be a better choice for making beams for the bridge I am needing built. I have plenty of trees, just not the right equipment.

BTW, my wife would have responded just like yours....priceless.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Awesome bubber!
My FIL as well as my neighbor both have Woodmizers. Matter of fact when i first started dating my wife my FIL had a 40" Belsaw mill set up with a 283 chevy in a frame hooked to a truck rear. Belts ran off the rim to the mill lol. Cut all the wood and then some for their cabin in NH.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your post. I was thinking of a chain saw mill, but this is a more attractive option I had not considered. We have a mill about 20 miles from us, and he charges 50/cents board foot. This might be a better choice for making beams for the bridge I am needing built. I have plenty of trees, just not the right equipment.

BTW, my wife would have responded just like yours....priceless.
I've got a chain saw mill. I'm still going to use it one of these days. I'd like to cut a mantle and air dry it for Mrs. Bubber.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the call Thursday, the wood was ready. He was able to get it in one cycle earlier, so it's ready at least two weeks early. Not a big deal except for the fact that I didn't have anywhere ready to put it yet :laugh: It dried down to 10-12%. There is some checking, bit it's mostly on the live edge pieces. I used Anchorseal when I cut the logs, so maybe that helped.

Lv72Wt8DX4d6oJ15j4ZbLO1gZdf6XHxOxx64Wd_yPUKQXsSlgqY-TU6yZhHC3vj7W8-aKftAqVkl1XDVQxd-BwAq9DQgd-Ps.jpg

dFnyanPgNUcOSi_zKq9RVibqxQBXllgIxYbe3Giq7Fa2ZTVyh1EXaJY4IWBThwgepdri76sBGA8nj6hNxLrtw0aZh63x3WRw.jpg

0hnOlggdMum8NGt00cnsZvrF15zxLpfNmjZ5WHUqewKT2HEPGcj5VSH2rYgQmQ7OxSu9UMnQIxXfMpYkXa2gwT6P5wHpwy4m.jpg

It's under cover for now, we're supposed to get rain here all week. I'll pull all of the non-live edge stuff in the barn once I get the lumber rack cleared off some. The wood on the very bottom is floor boards from a cotton mill, then the live edge that I had cut with 1.5" and 1" on top of that.

It didn't look like a lot on the trailer, but after stacking it, I can definitely say...It's a lot. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Nice looking wood! What kind I thought it was Walnut at first? I have a bunch of Cherry wood and some nice 40-60 year old plank walnut 2"x13"x9' to work with. Used up a big chunk of my Oak Boards making furnisher for our home. I missed what your doing with this wood?

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
Bubber-nice pile of wood ya got there-:thumbup1gif: did u say ur stacking inside ur shed-:dunno:so will u be stickering then?? just curious-ok.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's mostly oak with a little bit of hickory. I've got several small projects in the hopper all of the time. Part of the work today was to get the barn in shape to finish the ceiling, so I'll be able to take on bigger projects after I finish that.

I asked the sawyer about stickering it, but it doesn't need to be since it's dried.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts