Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my Z710A ZTR, there wasn't any Suspension Seat available that would fit. The "higher cost" Z915B...big brother to the Z710A has one as an option, but, it will not bolt up on the Z710A.... Don't know the reason, and probably never will get an answer.

I was at Sear about three years ago and as looking at their lawn tractors and notice the way they had a suspension style of seat. Spring loaded as you may call it. I searched on ebay and found a used set of Craftsman Seat Spring #124181X for about $12.00 and free shipping.
I ordered than and when they arrived and painted the springs the famous JD green and left the plastic/rubber caps black. Here is how I have my "not too expensive" suspension seat. BTW: It works very well.

[/ur]
[url=http://imgur.com/dWL2O0W]

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Looks good to me. Thanks for the pictures

·
Old Pa-pa
11,946 Posts
I really like that idea, got to be lots better than iron bolted to iron. :good2:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like that idea, got to be lots better than iron bolted to iron. :good2:

Thanks, Old Cajun. It work very well for the mowing of the smooth level yard. However, it's no so smooth when I mow the way back 3 acres of property where there is some rough area.

BTW: Do you have a big Inner Tube strapped to you down there in that snake, alligator infested high water?

·
Old Pa-pa
11,946 Posts
Thanks, Old Cajun. It work very well for the mowing of the smooth level yard. However, it's no so smooth when I mow the way back 3 acres of property where there is some rough area.

BTW: Do you have a big Inner Tube strapped to you down there in that snake, alligator infested high water?
Snakes and gators stay in the water and mind their own business, Old Cajun's .44 Redhawk stays in the holster, otherwise...................:laugh:

Water drains off pretty good (15' elevation), but ground mushy as heck, probably going to need 4 - 5 days of solid drying before
I can run the Z.

Leaving tracks with my boots just walking in the backyard today. :banghead:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ya gotta love good old ingenuity.

Reactions: flyweight

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,796 Posts
Great idea. :thumbup1gif: That is one clean ZTR.
I may have to do that to the seat on my Z445. It has zero suspension. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
The other route that a lot of people have gone with is the Puffer Seat Base. I tend to do a lot of searching and researching on big ticket items. I was looking at my options when I was looking a the ZTR. Do I save money and go with a Z915B/E or spend more and get the full suspension seat. There are lots of people here that have modified their seats and had I gone with the Z915B, I would have gone with the Puffer seat base. From what I read the full suspension seat was only available from the factory on M or R models. Sure you could buy the parts and retrofit the suspension seat but I want to say that the price tag on the parts was a touch over $1000 but as a factory option it was maybe $500. While the puffer is a lot more expensive than your option, it is the other option for better suspension and way cheaper than ordering the parts to install a John Deere suspension seat.

The other option that is cheaper than a Puffer base is the Suspension Seat from Northern Tool. The only "problem" with this seat is that it is black and not JD Yellow. However if you look at it closely and compare to the JD Suspension seat, other than the vinyl the controls are identical and it is likely made from the same factory. The contours of the seat cover are a bit different and it doesn't have the mesh pouch in the back but it is another good option.

Reactions: JKR and mjncad

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Nice clean work. It looks factory. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'll bump this old thread up for a follow-up on my "not to modern" suspension seat.

When I changed my seat pattern to the springs that I've listed above, that made the rear part of the seat to become 2-1/2'" additional height. And when I mowed the last time, this made me (body) want to slide forwards. Not a bad thing, but, it wasn't normal seating situation. So, I had to come up with an idea to get the front part of the seat to be level with the rear part. Here are some photos on the two brackets...6061 aluminum that made the front height just perfect. I had to made it 2-1/2" to match the rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts