Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my first Deere from my parents garage the other day. Thought I would share the picture with you all. They just don't build them like they used to! Ahh the memories of riding it when I was a child are great.

Photo1152.jpg

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Two of my younger brothers each had one like that and they also had a trailer that went with them. Very nice! :thumbup1gif:

·
May he RIP
60 Posts
Hello Fenwayer
neat older Model 520 John Deere Pedal Tractor. Ertle made those Tractor's for John Deere for quit awhile. The real early one's had steel front wheels then they changed to Plastic front wheels. I bought one brand new for our Daughter 22 Years ago, her's has the Plastic front wheels on it. it has been moved and in storage for many years. The Test of time took It's toll on the paint and decals so I decided to restore it so that my wife & I could pass it down to our Granddaughter at her first Birthday Party that is coming this weekend. I took it all apart to paint it. The rear steel wheel's were rusted so I had to mask off the whole tire so that I could sand down the wheels and repaint them with John Deere Yellow paint, which was Nerve racking to say the least. The Pedal assembly was a Little challenging as it is Pre-loded to keep the drive chain tight. Once I got it all apart I noticed that rain water had gotten in down between the Two body half's and rusted the inside of the chain Guard. I sanded it all down and Painted it as well inside the chain guard. I Lubricated the chain, sprrocket, and all of the Plastic bushing's in the Tractor with never Seize while I had it apart. The Aluminum bodies on these Tractor's were made by the Ford Motor Company in Detroit, Michigan. Super early one's with the steel wheels have no starter on their engines that came later on with the Plastic wheeled Tractors and the early one's also had a steel seat not black Plastic like the one I have has on it. Ertle no Longer offer's these aluminum cast metal bodied Tractors they now only sell Plastic. It is worth a restoration on these so that you can pass them down in the family. Here are some picture's of it apart while I was Painting the Body Panel's for my John Deere 318 I did this Tractor as well. If you need any Part's just let me know I have a short list of supplier's for these style Tractors that sell about every Part on them shown below is a link to some I got parts from. My decal's came off Evil-Bay they are exact reproductions and were only $18.00 which Included Free shipping for the set that this Tractor needed. Regards, Hammerdown

TOMY Shop: replacement parts - ertl - john deere pedal tractor

Choose a Category

Pedal Tractor parts

DECAL SET GEN II 50 Series John Deere Toy Pedal Tractor Computer Cut Free Ship on eBay!

other Pedal Tractors

John Deere

Parts for TBE520 4430/4440 John Deere Pedal Tractor (1973-1990)

·
Registered
714 Posts
That is awesome! Great job!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had one as a kid too, mine has the metal seat. I worked that thing hard pulling a red wagon. My dad had to replace the rear tires for me because I wore them down. I don't know if it's ever been fully restored, I think my brother took it to give to his son.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Picked up my first Deere from my parents garage the other day. Thought I would share the picture with you all. They just don't build them like they used to! Ahh the memories of riding it when I was a child are great.

View attachment 11466
My mom and dad had a complete one just like that. They got it for grandchildren. My brothers kids were first, then my sister had it for her daughter, then I would have been next. My IDIOT brother-in-law had a garage sale, some guy said "do you want to sell that peddle tractor"? He sold it to the guy for $1.00, yes one dollar. He was disowned from the whole family for awhile. Someone out their got a great deal. It was all their and worked perfectly. :bash::gaah: I still havn'et gotten over it.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
My mom and dad had a complete one just like that. They got it for grandchildren. My brothers kids were first, then my sister had it for her daughter, then I would have been next. My IDIOT brother-in-law had a garage sale, some guy said "do you want to sell that peddle tractor"? He sold it to the guy for $1.00, yes one dollar. He was disowned from the whole family for awhile. Someone out their got a great deal. It was all their and worked perfectly. :bash::gaah: I still havn'et gotten over it.
I would've sold his truck for $1...:nunu:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts