Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a disc harrow but don't know what size my 2032r can handle. I'm assuming something in the 5' and 15-20 disc's. I'm relying on your guy's/gal's (that's right) vast knowledge. Also any type of brand I should be leaning towards or away from.

Thanks for your help and input. BTW main use will be for food plots.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crickets?

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Crickets?
I’ll bite. It’s a hard question because disks are so varied but in general 5 or 6 feet should work. I have little experience with field disk under 13’. The disk harrow confuses me. Harrow to me means tines that dig. Two tines digging would tax it very quick.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll bite. It’s a hard question because disks are so varied but in general 5 or 6 feet should work. I have little experience with field disk under 13’. The disk harrow confuses me. Harrow to me means tines that dig. Two tines digging would tax it very quick.
I guess I have always heard disc harrow in reference to the implement that has rows of disc at alternating angles. Some can be smooth and some notched.

My main concern is that I will go too large and won't be able to pull it.

noun: disc harrow
a harrow with cutting edges consisting of a row of concave disks set at an oblique angle.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
You should not have a problem with a 5 or 6’. I see plenty of people pulling 4’ ones behind 4 wheelers. I would probably stay towards the 5 as disks like to float if there is a lot of weeds or trash and if you weight it the weight would be focused on a smaller footprint. The nice thing about a disk is you can easily make multiple passes until you get the finish you desire.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should not have a problem with a 5 or 6’. I see plenty of people pulling 4’ ones behind 4 wheelers. I would probably stay towards the 5 as disks like to float if there is a lot of weeds or trash and if you weight it the weight would be focused on a smaller footprint. The nice thing about a disk is you can easily make multiple passes until you get the finish you desire.

Hope this helps.
Thanks allot Herm! Good point on weight idea. I'll probably go with s 5 footer.

Reactions: PJR832 and Levi

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Cover the wheel tracks

I would make sure the disk is a little wider than the wheel tracks. It doesn't matter on the first pass but once you are on tilled ground you want to leave a smooth surface. My cousin pulls a 6' with his JD790 if that helps. He says he doesn't have any issues pulling that. I've not put one behind my 790 so can't help much. Like another poster, my experience with disks was all with larger units except way, way back pulling a 6' disk (pull type, no gauge wheels) behind a AC WD-45 in a garden. It wasn't much of a disk and I was a kid so all I remember was that it pulled it.

Treefarmer

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
Thanks allot Herm! Good point on weight idea. I'll probably go with s 5 footer.
Like Treefarmer said, go with one that will cover your tracks. There isn't much to a disc and all you're doing is pulling it. I have a 4' 16 blade disc and have to add weight to it so it will do it's job. My 1026 pulls it like it's not even there. I could pull a 5' 20 blade disc no problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Something like the JD DH1066 should be about perfect. It is 5'6" wide, notched blades and weighs 445 lbs and easily adjustable gang angles. I had one of these when I had my 3320 tractor (33 hp), and it pulled it with ease. Your 2032r will have no trouble with it, but I wouldn't go any bigger.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry, I missed your original post or I would have responded. I have a 2025 R (old model) that I use exclusively for maintenance of my hunting property. I’ve used both discs and a tiller to prepare my food plots and ultimately decided to purchase my own (vs borrowing) a 60” tiller. The reason I chose to go with the tiller instead of buying my own disc was that I found in order for the disc to be effective it must be very heavy and have the ability to adjust both sets of gangs. Plus, you need to make multiple passes (in my soil) to prepare a good seed bed.

66” has discs are what I used and they were of the cheaper angle iron type weighing around 500 lbs. When I looked at going to a true heavy duty disc as I mentioned above, the price more than doubled, and was actually more than my tiller.

So for me I can till in a single pass (so time is about the same) and for less money plus I’m not trying to keep MANY bearings from falling apart. That’s something I had to always watch on the cheap discs. These are just my thoughts based on my own experiences, they are not meant to say one is good or the other is bad. Good luck with whatever you get and please post a “review” of whatever you end up with as I’m always looking to learn from others.
Good luck hunting in 2018!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Like another poster, my experience with disks was all with larger units except way, way back pulling a 6' disk (pull type, no gauge wheels) behind a AC WD-45 in a garden. It wasn't much of a disk and I was a kid so all I remember was that it pulled it.

Treefarmer
I agree with the others, like rototilling you want to cover the tracks but 60” would do it, might miss a little on corners but that is all. Treefarmer, fancy man with the big WD-45 back in the day. Here is my sons WD, it skipped a couple generations. This and a 45 were my grandfathers big tractors. Now they are not big enough to move most wagons or implements.:laugh: I think at the end of time there will still be these around and they will still start and run great.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
one thing is tractor weight the power will be there but traction will not, I do not have the newer model just a old 2720 what I did I used two cultivator tines in front it keeps the disk from riding on top ground mine is only 55 inch wide and with the tines is about the max it will pull, have to have bucket on if I want to use the disk otherwise just sit and spin.don't know what your fabrication skills are but a used 10-15 disk is twice as cheap as as new 4-6 ft one. I made two out of one sold the extra one paid for the 10 footer I bought. Maybe somebody has one you can put behind your tractor to see if you will be satisfied

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Wd 45

I agree with the others, like rototilling you want to cover the tracks but 60” would do it, might miss a little on corners but that is all. Treefarmer, fancy man with the big WD-45 back in the day. Here is my sons WD, it skipped a couple generations. This and a 45 were my grandfathers big tractors. Now they are not big enough to move most wagons or implements.:laugh: I think at the end of time there will still be these around and they will still start and run great.
Great looking tractor. They seemed big at the time but like you say would only be a wagon tractor now. I have fond memories of those tractors except for cultivating, which they did well. It's just that cultivating was during the hottest part of the summer, with the most bugs and of course you weren't going very fast so the bugs and heat stayed with you.

We used to drop a can over the exhaust and if you forgot to take it off when you started it the exhaust would launch it about 15' in the air. On a good day you caught it. On a bad day the battery would be down and they still had a crank. Lots of ways to get hurt with that crank, lol but you are right, there was always a way to start them.

The power adjustable wheels like on yours were fun too.

Thanks for the picture. It brings back lots of memories, mostly good.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
233 Posts
Go with a reverse tine tiller you will be happier
Think about this ,, on a new plot go slower with a tiller to a 3-5" depth one direction then go over it again at a different angle seed it run a drag over it and you are done
A disc on new plot you will make at least 3 trips will still be cloddy and with the clods depending on what your seeding you can bury it too deep and those clods are a bugger with a drag
Not saying you would not have clods with a tiller in certain conditions like heavy sod but a 5' disk with all the weight won't cut that sod very well either

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! Talk about poking a bear with the crickets comment!

Been working all day and haven't had a chance to look over all the great input. Thanks everyone.

I think I'll try to find one 6' within the 400-500lb range with 15-20 disc's. This will be primarily used on my hunt club 1,200 acres with approximately 50 acres planted. (Multiple members have tractors so I won't be alone) I have a 5' tiller that I use at home for MY garden and one 1 acre deer plot. Don't really want to take my tiller to the hunt club bc the fields are full of rocks and other items that could possibly tear it up.

Thanks again for all of your help and input! Now to figure out what brand. Definitely going with a boxed frame adjustable type. Some of the hunt club members have the angle iron frame type and those are bent all over the place.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
These aren't bad

These look pretty good: Frontier 66" Disk Harrow (DH1066)

I'm pretty sure the same disk is sold under a different name. I don't remember right now which other name but maybe I'll think of it. Same disk, different paint and might be a different price point.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Levi and Herminator

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These look pretty good: Frontier 66" Disk Harrow (DH1066)

I'm pretty sure the same disk is sold under a different name. I don't remember right now which other name but maybe I'll think of it. Same disk, different paint and might be a different price point.

Treefarmer
That looks like what I need. Shows 28HP needed, so that gives me a little room if I need to add some weight to get the disc to dig in our hard SC soil. Thanks Treefarmer

Reactions: Yank and Levi

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Nice looking disk

Reactions: Yank and Levi

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Spending OPM

That looks like what I need. Shows 28HP needed, so that gives me a little room if I need to add some weight to get the disc to dig in our hard SC soil. Thanks Treefarmer
It's always fun to spend someone else's money, lol.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
In the specifications it says 28hp needed, but in mutton’s written description, says for tractors up to 28hp max. Not sure which one is correct. Looks like the pic shows it on a 1 series.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts