Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sheets of a black coating coming off the bottom of my brand new 60 inch deck on my 1025R, looks like a semi glossy undercoating. Maybe some sort of anti stick coating for the deck but it does not do much good laying on my garage floor. So far about quite a large amount of small sheets. Gonna pull deck tonight and take a look, less than 5 hours on tractor and no! I have not used the deck water fitting. Any idea's?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
I have sheets of a black coating coming off the bottom of my brand new 60 inch deck on my 1025R, looks like a semi glossy undercoating. Maybe some sort of anti stick coating for the deck but it does not do much good laying on my garage floor. So far about quite a large amount of small sheets. Gonna pull deck tonight and take a look, less than 5 hours on tractor and no! I have not used the deck water fitting. Any idea's?
The under side of mine was green so I have no idea unless it's what you said you think it is.

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
Can you post a pic?

My bet is it's just the little bit of grass residue that's peeling off the new, shiny paint under the deck. I see that on occasion from my mower. But once you wear off the fancy paint, the residue will come off in chunks instead of sheets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get that same thing with mine also. Thin black sheets falling off underside of deck. Not so much with that thick early season grass, but now with this mid to late season dryer grass. On my third season now and several deck cleanings. Get it every year. Maybe something to do with type of grass also...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pictures

Can you post a pic?

My bet is it's just the little bit of grass residue that's peeling off the new, shiny paint under the deck. I see that on occasion from my mower. But once you wear off the fancy paint, the residue will come off in chunks instead of sheets.
Here are some pictures, as you will notice, one of them even follows the contoured radius of the deck. I did look underneath the deck and it is painted green. I swear it looks like some sort of coating. First I thought it might be the black paint coming off the blade. Spooky:unknown:

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
Here are some pictures, as you will notice, one of them even follows the contoured radius of the deck. I did look underneath the deck and it is painted green. I swear it looks like some sort of coating. First I thought it might be the black paint coming off the blade. Spooky:unknown:
Does it taste like several week old cut grass?:mocking:

Yup, looks just like what used to come off of my new mower. It's just a thin layer of grass build-up. No worries.:drinks:

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Free replacement sheets

I have plenty of this on the bottom of my 35 year old model 314, only mine comes off only with a chisel. I suspect that your green paint is slicker and it falls off as the moisture leaves the grass residue coating the underside. If you decide to glue it back on and don't have enough, I'd be glad to send you some of mine. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm guessing its a paint coating coming off either the blades or spindles.:unknown: Do you have the mulching divider thing a ma bobs? Are they coated with black paint?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If it's peeling off the deck, can you match any of those peel shapes to the area of the deck they may have fallen off from? I think maybe it's super thin flash rust. Maybe there was some very light rust on the underside of the deck & its just breaking away.

Hey listen- My dumb guess is as good as all the other dumb gusses! If it really bothers you, take it to a testing lab. If it were my problem I would go drink a beer & watch a sci-fi movie. :empathy3:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If it's peeling off the deck, can you match any of those peel shapes to the area of the deck they may have fallen off from? I think maybe it's super thin flash rust. Maybe there was some very light rust on the underside of the deck & its just breaking away.

Hey listen- My dumb guess is as good as all the other dumb gusses! If it really bothers you, take it to a testing lab. If it were my problem I would go drink a beer & watch a sci-fi movie. :empathy3:
your guess was dumber than mine...:bash:

OP ...check the back/bottom of your seat. I had paint coming off in sheets off of it. I still do actually....along with flash rust now....but the rust aint coming off unlike dummys post:empathy3:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Protective coating of some kind while the tractor sits in the dealer's yard waiting to be sold? How's that for dumb?:lol:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
your guess was dumber than mine...:bash:

OP ...check the back/bottom of your seat. I had paint coming off in sheets off of it. I still do actually....along with flash rust now....but the rust aint coming off unlike dummys post:empathy3:
Hey! Watch out now. You might cause members here to try & second guess my guess which would lead to what is known as Guess Chaos (did I say that right?) Maybe not, it's just a guess but you know what I mean. :nunu:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Welcome to the Funny Farm!! :mocking:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I don't even have a guess.:laugh:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Put it in a glass of water and stir it around. If it dissolves after a bit and turns the water green then it's grass. If it doesn't dissolve then who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Put it in a glass of water and stir it around. If it dissolves after a bit and turns the water green then it's grass. If it doesn't dissolve then who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finally.....a smart man!:good2:

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
My guess is grass.. cleaned the 54" deck on the daughters FiL x585. Seen the same thing plus alot more grass under his.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe it lawn mold sticking to the bottom of the mower deck and falling off when it dries out.

Notice from JD regarding lots of black powder (SIB 96-11-47-7). Quoting:

COMPLAINT OR SYMPTOM:
- In hot weather, mower deck is covered with a soot like material or belt dust.
- Dust on deck looks like it comes from engine exhaust or belt.

SITUATION: The black soot like material is a lawn spore, a type of lawn mold. It is prevalent only with the temperature is hot and/or in dry conditions. This same condition also exists in the Spring with what is commonly know as "snow mold".

SOLUTION: Do not change belts, There is no problem with the tractor mower deck. As the local conditions change, (rain or cooler temperatures), the lawn mold spores will go away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts