Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This part came with the 1944 "LA" I bought last summer, the seller didn't know what it was & neither did I until a chance view of a youtube video recently. It is two piece cast, approximately 10" long by 5" diameter, bolts together with four bolts: Pictures 2019 030.JPG Pictures 2019 031.JPG

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a wild guess that first comes to mind...

Does the LA have a belt drive pulley? To me this looks like something that would bolt onto something and provide a guide for the belt so it wouldn’t rub on something.
Actually, you're sort of on the right track! I'll wait a bit to see if anybody else knows.

It is a JD part with a casting number Z1161H. I've looked for that number on JD parts with an answer of "part no longer available", big surprise since it's a 75 year old tractor!

Tractors 2018 076.JPG

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can I give my guess, although my bet is I'm wrong.
I was thinking years ago lots of equipment was belt driven off of a long (canvas?) belt. Could that be for belt drive? Probably never used because paint still on it. Just a wild guess.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,725 Posts
Could that be a Counterweight when using a pulley/belt drive system?
Your LA doen't have the pulley/drive system does it?

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
That looks like the end which you put on a feed grinder or other piece of machinery to match up the long belt which ran from the drum pulley on the PTO on the side of the tractor. I used one which looked very similar to this on an old Allis Chalmers to grind animal feed when I was a young teenager.

If that is what this is, it brings back great memories. You had to line the tractor up very squarely with the implement, which was bolted to the barn floor and then snug the tractor out until the tension on the belt was just right. Too tight and it would vibrate, too loose and the belt would flop, slap and could fly off and the belt was heavy. This looks like either the drive pulled adapter or the tensioner which was used on some set ups to provide an adjustable belt tension which was spring loaded.

Don't know the actual names for these parts, but it sure looks like that to me......the one I used was faded Orange because of the Allis Chalmers tractor, which ironically, was styled and patterned just like your tractor with the offset seat, etc.

And never get in line with the belt when it was spinning as when it came off, it would knock you off your feet, at a minimum.....:laugh::lol:

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could that be a Counterweight when using a pulley/belt drive system?
Your LA doen't have the pulley/drive system does it?
I have the belt pulley for it, just don't have it on because it runs full time. It bolts on where the four bolt plate is at the center, left side, just in front of the steering sector: Tractors 2018 077.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,725 Posts
You got it, :good2: it's the drive pulley for the belly mounted sickle mower that uses a flat belt drive!
Does your driveshaft cover have the cutout to use this?

·
Old Pa-pa
11,341 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does your driveshaft cover have the cutout to use this?
I think it uses a bigger cover, more like the old JD PTO shields.

So when ya going to find an old sickle bar for it, could be handy on the farm. :dunno:
Probably not, I'd be more apt to put a sickle mower on Cubby (hydraulic lift)!

·
Old Pa-pa
11,341 Posts
I think it uses a bigger cover, more like the old JD PTO shields.

Probably not, I'd be more apt to put a sickle mower on Cubby (hydraulic lift)!
That's what I have on my Cubby, an old Woods that came with it.

Pretty handy on ditch banks and around ponds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts