Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello . Was hoping someone could point me in right direction. I have a 2016 1025r with the 60d deck and loader. Was mowing the other day when I ran something over and flung it fairly far. It is a very robust piece of metal that matches some of the unpainted metal underneath the machine. I can’t figure out where it went or even if it goes to the tractor. I don’t think it goes to my golf cart because of how clean and beefy it is. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,197 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,197 Posts
Wow that’s it. Thanks a lot. I can’t believe that thick metal sheared like that. I’ll look into that other post to see if they came up with another solution. Seems like a big flaw to me
Ummm. Yup! That's why your local Deere dealer will replace it with a "fixed" system for free.

New Air filter update. FREE.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,800 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh man. That really sucks. That’s unbelievable. Yeah I’ll look closer but the part of the bracket that has the bolts thru it is still mounted on the cover. I know that my blades were damaged when I ran it over and possibly could have dented the deck a bit. Think I have a chance at getting some new blades due to the chunks missing?

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
I suggest taking off the remaining part that's attached to the engine and inspecting the cover very closely for cracks. As of now, I've heard of 7 covers that have been broken, 2 of which had small hairline cracks. Your dealer should cover the air filter relocation but they'll also need to know if the cover has to be replaced.

Good luck, let us know the results.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Just curious, how many hours are on your machine?

Don't worry, this is covered even if the machine is out of warranty as indicated in the thread about the air cleaners. The hours are more for trying to see if there is some consistent hour range of when these failures occur. It does seem to be happening to more 2015 and 2016 model year machines than others from what I have read, as many are usually already out of the warranty period.

Make sure to remove the rubber strap and other pieces of the "old system" or maybe they are also lying in the lawn somewhere. ......This is the 3rd picture like yours in the last 30 days I have seen where owners found the air cleaner bracket in the lawn, etc.

Also, I wouldn't use your tractor without the air cleaner properly secured as the vibrating mass will likely damage something else.

Just FYI, if you happen to have replacement air filter elements already for your 2016 1025r, the new filter system which replaces the one you will be taking off the tractor will NOT use the old style air filter elements presently in use on your machine. If you happen to already own replacement filters, make sure to exchange them at your dealer for replacement filters to fit the NEW assembly you will be getting. The old style elements do NOT fit the new style housing.

If, due to the time of year and the dealers service departments being extremely busy they tell you its going to take some time to get your machine in to repair it, this repair is about as easy as it could possibly be. Pick up the parts yourself and undertake the repair as I think its a 10 minute repair for someone who has to read the directions, etc. and its probably a 5 minute repair for those who are mechanically inclined and have the few tools needed.

So don't be afraid to undertake this exchange yourself as long as you own some metric sockets, a ratchet and one metric wrench, the size is covered in the thread links in earlier posts. Its a very easy exchange.....Don't let your machine have unnecessary down time waiting for this repair as its a very easy repair for just about anyone to undertake.

Also, very carefully check your tractor's valve cover mount area as well as the top of the engine to make sure there is no sign of any metal fatigue or cracking. If there is any signs of these more serious failures, defer the repair to the dealer as they may need to prepare for a major repair if there is any chance of metal fragments in the engine.

If the mower deck blades actually have a "large knick or dent" in the cutting edge, at a minimum, you will want to pull the blades and either sharpen them correctly to remove the knick or replace the blades. Often, when a blade makes an impact with such an object, it can result in the blade being slightly bent or knocked out of balance. You do not want to run any blades which are not balanced as it will damage the spindle bearings and hub over time. Plus the vibration will be very apparent when the deck is running.

The blades are pretty tough and can take some amazingly tough hits and not be damaged. But this is a big piece of cast metal and if the mower deck discharged it through the chute, I would pull the blades for sure. I wouldn't worry about any dents in the deck as the deck is hard to dent and even if it were, it won't change its performance.

The blades and spindles are the main concern. If it were my machine, I would make sure to have a spare mower deck belt at home as the belts absorb some of the shock and it could weaken the belt if it slipped, etc. Being a 2016 and now with this experience, having a spare deck belt at home will save you a trip out to the dealer or more down time.......

Please make sure to post follow up details about your dealers response, etc.

If they aren't familiar with this issue, refer them to the main tread about the Air Cleaner replacement here on GTT as there are the memorandum numbers and even the list of part numbers needed to complete this update. Under no circumstances accept anything less than a full repair with the replacement parts. Perhaps this will be the first your dealer has heard of this issue, but it is well known by Deere in the corporate service department for these machines. The air cleaner parts and the labor should not cost you anything to make the air cleaner system update. Most dealers are handling this matter correctly and helping the customers solve the issue after they read the service bulletins, etc.

If the dealer refuses to deal with the mower blades, make sure you pull the blades and sharpen them and check them for balance at a minimum. If you are running stock mower blades, now is a good opportunity to read about "Gator Blades" or "Lift Blades" and possibly put them on your deck. The improved cutting of the lift style blades has many, many fans, including myself............:good2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for detailed response. That helps a lot. I will be making a list of things I need to talk to the dealer about. My tractor just turned over 100 hours! She is still sparkling clean so it’s a shame about this issue. If my dealer has heard about it and failed to issue a recall or notice I’m going to be pretty upset. It’s too bad they aren’t open today because I so want to talk to them about this. Do you think I would be better off going in person? I only ask because their hours don’t coincide too well with my work schedule. It may be longer before I’m able to pay them a visit.

Also upon further inspection after taking off the remaining bracket I see what seems to be a hairline crack. It may just be in the paint but I’ll post some pics either way. Very frustrating. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thank you for detailed response. That helps a lot. I will be making a list of things I need to talk to the dealer about. My tractor just turned over 100 hours! She is still sparkling clean so it’s a shame about this issue. If my dealer has heard about it and failed to issue a recall or notice I’m going to be pretty upset. It’s too bad they aren’t open today because I so want to talk to them about this. Do you think I would be better off going in person? I only ask because their hours don’t coincide too well with my work schedule. It may be longer before I’m able to pay them a visit.

Also upon further inspection after taking off the remaining bracket I see what seems to be a hairline crack. It may just be in the paint but I’ll post some pics either way. Very frustrating. Thanks for all the help.
Were the nuts snug or loose when you removed the bracket? Some people who had failures reported the nuts had started to become loose, and I think that would speed up the process of breaking parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Were the nuts snug or loose when you removed the bracket? Some people who had failures reported the nuts had started to become loose, and I think that would speed up the process of breaking parts.
Mine were still snug. All three of them. I didn’t see that “crack” if that’s what it is, until I removed it. So there must have been some serious vibration to do all that. Also the point I think it failed at was at one end of the rubber buckle. Fortunately mine was still hanging out on top of the engine. The rubber holding the metal ring on one end was split which caused the ring to fall out I’m guessing. I picked that ring up a few days prior not knowing what the heck it was. Now I know.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mine were still snug. All three of them. I didn’t see that “crack” if that’s what it is, until I removed it. So there must have been some serious vibration to do all that. Also the point I think it failed at was at one end of the rubber buckle. Fortunately mine was still hanging out on top of the engine. The rubber holding the metal ring on one end was split which caused the ring to fall out I’m guessing. I picked that ring up a few days prior not knowing what the heck it was. Now I know.
Lots of those straps and brackets have broken so it's common. A few people who replaced those brackets with new ones, have shown the newer brackets had been beefed up. I think the newer beefed up brackets helped put more stress on the valve covers, thus Deere changed the air cleaner set up on the newer ones. I have a early 2018 and mine has that same setup. I have not heard of any recall or notices sent out to owners. Since this is not a safety of operation design issue, I don't think they will. I think these are being handled on a case by case. That's just my opinion though. I have 50 hours on mine and still have a year of bumper to bumper warranty. I'm keeping a close eye on mine and waiting to see what if anything Deere does in the mean time.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Without taking it off and checking the underside, it does appear to be cracked in at least the top circle , and possibly in the bottom place Ive circled.
The good thing is, it didn't cause a catastrophic break where it ingested any metal so, once the cover is changed,it should be good as new.
2aIC19l.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Without taking it off and checking the underside, it does appear to be cracked in at least the top circle , and possibly in the bottom place Ive circled.
The good thing is, it didn't cause a catastrophic break where it ingested any metal so, once the cover is changed,it should be good as new.
View attachment 688410
That’s what I was thinking as well. I’m going to call them tomorrow and see if they can schedule a pick up. Need new valve cover, fixed air unit, and they need to check my blades. All in all I treat the machine really well so I want it all taken care of. I will try my hardest on the blades but if they can’t honor that then I’ll look into the other kind of blades listed previously. I’ll check for posts on those now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts