Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took my tractor out on the concrete pad in front of my garage for some lubrication maintenance. The pad was clear before I took it out there. Before I even started working on it, I noticed several parts underneath it. The parts are related and obviously the nut that holds them together is missing. I had a big job earlier this week moving a bunch of dirt to a neighbor about a half mile away. I'm not hoping to find the nut, which could have come off anywhere/anytime, but now I'm challenged with figuring out where these parts are missing from. I crawled under the tractor and spent about 30 minutes looking for a clean place that had recently lost a part. When I looked more closely at the parts, I noticed that they don't have the normal layer of tractor crud on them. They actually look pretty clean, and I did not clean them up for the photos. The assembled part has openings on both ends, but there is no channel completely through it.

I have not noticed any problems with operating the tractor, but these parts obviously cost something to produce and they wouldn't be on the tractor if they didn't have a purpose.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
that looks like a specially designed part and I bet it is essential....my suggestion might be to go to local dealer...crawl under a new one and see if you can find this anywhere....

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Looks like some kind of lamp swivel and tilt mount?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I cant say where it goes, or even if it goes to your tractor, but you will be looking for a shaft end that is finely splined, that matches the inside of the two halves, and a rod of some sort that would go on the other end, based on the pictures of the part.
Definitely interested to see what this goes to.

Reactions: keane and kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
I'm with Jeff, looks like some kind of pivot and tilt swivel. Could be wrong, but nothing I can think of like that on the tractor....stock anyways. Under the seat for the backhoe seat swivel in the only thing I can think of, but I don't really think it's from there. Aftermarket lights maybe?

Reactions: keane

·
Administrator
18,258 Posts
Like others, I think it's part of some swiveling mount, like RAM mount used for a camera or phone. Definitely not a JD part.

·
Registered
12,029 Posts
If everything on your tractor works correctly, I probably wouldn't be concerned with it. If something malfunctions, that is a good place to start.

Reactions: keane and Toughsox

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not so sure about a light/lamp or anything electrical. I see the swivel joint and spline capture but no pass-through for a wire connection. what does the backside look like?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recant my last statement. I have seen a magnetic base on a flashlight/worklight (streamlight maybe?) that closely resembles that. the knurling holds a round magnet and the light pivots 90° on a ball hence the slot. a thought anyway.......

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
uhh looks like a cell phone mount.ish

I 've buried my phone twice...tractor'n..try calling yours...

:munch:

·
Registered
769 Posts
I looked at my tractor yesterday and could not find anything that looked like that, unless it is buried so far underneath it can't be seen.

·
Administrator
18,258 Posts
Like others, I think it's part of some swiveling mount, like RAM mount used for a camera or phone. Definitely not a JD part.

Look here:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
If you use a Go Pro or a knockoff, it looks like those mounts to me.......Are the parts plastic? They appear like a plastic molded part in some photos and have a rubber look in another............

Also, for scale, can you put a ruler in the photo or a quarter or other common object?

Odd that it ended up under your tractor in the driveway.

Maybe your tractor is the manufacturing source of the camera swivel and it happened to "produce one" while you were present. Otherwise, your tractor makes these parts in relative obscurity and has a Ebay site selling them.....You might want to check the tractors bank account, it could be a surprise.....:laugh::lol:

:gizmo:

It refreshing to have parts falling off the 1 series which aren't air cleaner related.......:lolol:

·
Registered
747 Posts
......Maybe your tractor is the manufacturing source of the camera swivel and it happened to "produce one" while you were present. Otherwise, your tractor makes these parts in relative obscurity and has a Ebay site selling them.....You might want to check the tractors bank account, it could be a surprise.....:laugh::lol:

:gizmo:

It refreshing to have parts falling off the 1 series which aren't air cleaner related.......:lolol:

:lolol::lolol: My high school biology teacher had a similar theory about how paper clips multiply in a closed drawer and they eventually become bicycles

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Figured out where it came from

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. I did figure it out with your help.

The part is from the video monitor that I installed about a year ago. It did not help matters that the parts were found on the opposite side of the tractor from the video monitor. Just a lucky roll I guess.

As I explained in the post describing where I mounted the monitor, the vibrations of the tractor quickly loosened this mount each time I positioned it and cranked the knob tight. So after I positioned the monitor just how I wanted it, I created a couple of custom brackets to add support to the monitor, and that solved the problem of the monitor moving. Apparently, over a long period of time, the vibrations continued to loosen the mount and eventually the knurled knob fell off. (I never did find that.) Then the rest of the mount fell off. It was hard to notice because the monitor stayed in place perfectly due to the custom brackets. But this mount provides a 3rd leg and does help with stability.

I reinstalled the mount using a nyloc nut so that it can't vibrate loose again. The photo below shows it back in place. Thanks again for all the help. Several people insisted it was not a JD part, even though the color was right. And it was clean because it didn't reside under the tractor.

Keane

IMG_2749_LI.jpg

·
Registered
397 Posts
Might want to look into RAM mounts. I use one to hold my GPS on to my KTM 525 EXC dual-sport/dirt bike. It does not loosen up.

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Thanks for providing a conclusion to the mystery. Also, I am glad you included the post link to the original thread about mounting the monitor as I was really scratching my head trying to determine where that monitor was located based upon the last picture you posted......

It's pretty impressive the monitor didn't move with the mount missing, which demonstrates how successful your supplemental mounts were in supporting the monitor.

One more thing I like about GTT, we have members who really take the time and engineer solutions to problems and share their ideas and experiences.

And to think that John Deere uses a rubber tarp strap to hold the batteries in these tractors from the factory........:laugh::banghead::hide:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Might I ask what you observe on the monitor?
Is it used for backing or do you watch the game while you mow the lawn?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts