Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
It was never intended to have doors,,,
If you add doors, the temperature of the stove will go so high, you risk burning down your house,,, :flag_of_truce:

Scrap that thing, it was never heat efficient anyways,,,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a home with wood burning fire place.
I am in need of doors

I dont know what type of fire place insert I have.
It was never intended to have doors,,,
If you add doors, the temperature of the stove will go so high, you risk burning down your house,,,

Scrap that thing, it was never heat efficient anyways,,,
Thank you for reply.

We will scrap this! Last owner had doors on this for years.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,097 Posts
That thing looks like an antique version of a zero-clearance fireplace. It's essentially a firebox made of steel instead of firebrick. You could easily replace it with a modern zero-clearance unit that would be safe to operate.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Looks like an old heat-o-lator insert.. We did fireplaces for years and sometimes people would ask for the steel firebox.. They always cracked the brick or cement around them when they expanded.. Throw it away, it's junk... Some have vents in the brickwork, two near the bottom of the fireplace and two higher up and that created convection thru chambers built into the brick or block work, worked a little but not great,, Hey it was a thing for it's time! The steel rots out then you need to get rid of it and install a new one.. waste of money in my opinion..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts