Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to know what it's like in heavy seas? I've seen 30 ft seas, it ain't fun,,,,at all. This ship is the same size as the one I was on.
We were tough as nails I tell ya. :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,698 Posts
As someone who almost blows chunks on the Cape May Ferry I say "Hell no!!". :)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I was on the DD873,,, 390 ft long,, 40 feet wide,, 3400 tons
we took 47 degree side rolls right outside of the entrance of the Mediterranean Sea,,

I remember them saying, the captain is NOT supposed to drive the ship like that,,
there is evasive steering techniques that avoid the front to back roll,, it is way TOO great,,,

The front back roll must be over 30 degrees,, that ain't ever supposed to happen,,
unless you are just showboating for the camera,,,:flag_of_truce:

The ship in the video is 509 feet long, and 66 feet wide,,, 9000 tons

The video reminds me of the guy jumping his JD Series 1 off of humps in his back yard,,,

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we took 47 degree side rolls right outside of the entrance of the Mediterranean Sea,,
DDG-4 here
Displacement: 3,277 tons standard, 4,526 full load
Length: 437 ft (133 m)
Beam: 47 ft (14 m)
Draft: 15 ft (4.6 m)

DDG-04_Lawrence2.jpg

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
We went through a Tropical Storm on the way to Haiti in '93, you Navy guys sure get a kick of a bunch of hurling Marines. Worse was we were on the USS Tortuga, a semi flat bottom ship. :banghead:

:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
This forum has a obsession with getting people sea sick. The Upside down Pictures are bad enough but this far out ways that But that said I have only gotten Motion sickness In a Car if I try to read a Book when it's In Motion:laugh:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I find myself wondering whatever made some human being think that a 4000+ ton hunk of metal would be able to not sink in heavy seas? Sorta like who decided it was a good idea to open an oyster and suck that snot down? These and other burning questions.....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
In 1967 I was on one of the last Diesel submarines still in service. We were caught in a really bad typhoon in the pacific. Diesel subs were not allowed to submerge in a storm, we had to ride it out. We were rolling over as much as 70 degrees. Any further, we would have sunk if the free flooding tank holes would have come out of the water.

One roll sent me head first into the trim & drain manifold in the control room. I was the operator. Busted three teeth. Nasty. We all did our jobs & no one freaked out, but we had three chief petty officers on board that were on war patrols in the big war & one said it was worse than some of the depth charges he went thru. Mother nature has no mercy.

People ask why I don't go on cruise ships. I tell them been there, done that & just smile at them. When I see videos of these fools that go to the shore during a hurricane to look at waves I can only shake my head and say how stupid they are & unknowing the risk.

That storm I was in tore out our Sonar system that was housed in the bow below the water line. Ripped off everything. The only thing left was a bunch of hanging wires. We had to dry dock in the Philippines for emergency repairs along with a Destroyer that had one of its props torn right off the shaft. Something I will never forget.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Makes me wonder how ships in those rough seas don't just split in 2 with all that pounding, and to make them that strong, they can still float. :unknown:

In some of the clips, there were seamen on deck with waves crashing over the bow?

Also in the less harsh conditions ... did I see a Santa Claus on deck with a bunch of seamen too?

Nice video.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Wow had to be a hell of a ride. Been in some rough stuff on the Great Lakes and has not bothered me as I also fly, but don’t know what my limit is as never been on the Oceans in any seas like that.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts

I remember them saying, the captain is NOT supposed to drive the ship like that,,
there is evasive steering techniques that avoid the front to back roll,, it is way TOO great,,,

The front back roll must be over 30 degrees,, that ain't ever supposed to happen,,
unless you are just showboating for the camera,,,:flag_of_truce:

The ship in the video is 509 feet long, and 66 feet wide,,, 9000 tons

The video reminds me of the guy jumping his JD Series 1 off of humps in his back yard,,,
I think my nephew is dating her?:lol:

I like land.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In 1967 I was on one of the last Diesel submarines still in service. We were caught in a really bad typhoon in the pacific. Diesel subs were not allowed to submerge in a storm, we had to ride it out. We were rolling over as much as 70 degrees. Any further, we would have sunk if the free flooding tank holes would have come out of the water.

One roll sent me head first into the trim & drain manifold in the control room. I was the operator. Busted three teeth. Nasty. We all did our jobs & no one freaked out, but we had three chief petty officers on board that were on war patrols in the big war & one said it was worse than some of the depth charges he went thru. Mother nature has no mercy.

People ask why I don't go on cruise ships. I tell them been there, done that & just smile at them. When I see videos of these fools that go to the shore during a hurricane to look at waves I can only shake my head and say how stupid they are & unknowing the risk.

That storm I was in tore out our Sonar system that was housed in the bow below the water line. Ripped off everything. The only thing left was a bunch of hanging wires. We had to dry dock in the Philippines for emergency repairs along with a Destroyer that had one of its props torn right off the shaft. Something I will never forget.
We lost a sonar dome pulling into Cuba with a new LT at the helm.

I think my nephew is dating her?:lol:

I like land.
:lolol:

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
DDG-4 here
Displacement: 3,277 tons standard, 4,526 full load
Length: 437 ft (133 m)
Beam: 47 ft (14 m)
Draft: 15 ft (4.6 m)

gizmo2--did that ship have nukes on it, back then too? well i've never been on any kind of a ship, sub, or nuthing out in the water, heck i can't swim, doubtful i would even float.:unknown:

only been up in a plane-twice; honey moon to florida, and out to Vegas and back to visit oldest boy at Nellis Air Force base.
flying ain't for me either.:munch:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gizmo2--did that ship have nukes on it, back then too?
Nuclear capable, only a select few knew for sure. As part of the missile system I did have to have a secret security clearance though.

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
I'll stay on land or fly. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
gizmo2--did that ship have nukes on it, back then too?

:
Nuclear capable, only a select few knew for sure. As part of the missile system I did have to have a secret security clearance though.
So did it have nukes or not. :banghead: :munch: Boy you sure tip toed around that answer. :lol:

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
And, you Swabbies laugh at me for picking the Army over the Navy when I was drafted. I'll take a year in Vietnam to a Med Cruise any day. Water is no place for me. I also have no desire to go on a cruise ship. The only boat that I would even consider is a Mississippi River cruise, and that might take an excessive amount of alcohol.

Pat, I believe that I may have been on the Tortuga in port at Thessolinikki, Greece. We you part of a MEU? I believe it was the 24th MEU that moved in to Kosovo in the fall of 2002. Now that I have written that I think I may have asked you that before.

I have googled Gizmo's boat and found that in the staff roster, he is listed as the NCOIC of the Poop Deck.:laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So did it have nukes or not. :banghead: :munch: Boy you sure tip toed around that answer. :lol:
Look you simple minded twit, I didn't have the secret security clearance by spilling the beans. :banghead: :lol:

·
Registered
117 Posts
The green water over the bow in some of those clips are impressive.

Worst I was in was 12' seas in 23' boat sport fishing for tuna. I thought it was kinda fun...until we saw the green room. Long trip back to the dock.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts