Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent lawsuits in North Carolina have resulted in very high awards for homeowners who suddenly discovered that hog farms have objectionable odors. In some cases, these homeowners lived next to the adjacent hog farm for 20 years without an issue but when out of state lawyers knocked on their door promising :gizmo:, everything changed.

The awards, indeed the verdicts are being appealed. For those with an interest in agriculture or even in making sure that food is in the local grocery store at a price we can afford, a friend of the court brief is available here: https://www.fb.org/files/McKiver_v_Murphy-Brown_(CA4)_-_Amicus_Brief_of_AFBF_et_al.pdf

For a legal brief, it's pretty readable and not overly long.

Better eat bacon while you can. If the original verdicts and awards stand, either the price will drastically increase or it will simply disappear from the grocery store. In fact, that's one of the stated aims of the original cases- they want to totally eliminate any kind of large scale production of animal agriculture. That will drastically impact what consumers will have available.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I read about this in the news a while ago. This has the potential to kill the hog industry and Smithfield in particular. Where I live it's chicken farms but they only smell occasionally and are not nearly as bad as hog farms. They seem to be accepted in this country without any problem. This is like residents who build near an airport or military base and then complain about the noise.

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
More of the “not in my backyard” thing.

People want electricity but don’t want to have power plants or windmills near them.

People throw garbage away like there is no tomorrow but don’t want landfills near them.

Now people want bacon and pork chops but don’t want the hog farms near them.

And for those people who lived there for 20 years already - always makes me think. If you are going to live in a house on a dirt road you don’t have a right to complain about the dust.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
They managed to close down all of the large hog farms, as well as the farms that "tested" livestock feed, in my region. The farms had been in the families for many generations, but all it took was some city dude and his wife, building a "McMansion" next door, to start the cascade. I'm having a sign made for my fences, because the area around me is growing so quickly. (Moving is not an option, YET.) The signs will read....

This is a farm. Farms house animals, as well as crops. Farm animals have an odor, make funny noises and have outdoor sex. If you are not OK with smells, funny noises and outdoor sex, this might not be where you want to live.

We have similar signs posted on a few airports, but we replace the "animals" part with "skydivers". :mocking:

I've never understood how someone can buy or build a house next door to ab airport, then complain about the airplanes. :crazy:

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
They managed to close down all of the large hog farms, as well as the farms that "tested" livestock feed, in my region. The farms had been in the families for many generations, but all it took was some city dude and his wife, building a "McMansion" next door, to start the cascade. I'm having a sign made for my fences, because the area around me is growing so quickly. (Moving is not an option, YET.) The signs will read....

This is a farm. Farms house animals, as well as crops. Farm animals have an odor, make funny noises and have outdoor sex. If you are not OK with smells, funny noises and outdoor sex, this might not be where you want to live.

We have similar signs posted on a few airports, but we replace the "animals" part with "skydivers". :mocking:

I've never understood how someone can buy or build a house next door to ab airport, then complain about the airplanes. :crazy:
Love this sign verbiage!

It reminds me of when we occasionally think about moving now that we are getting older and somewhat crippled up. The only thing we could afford now would be in a town it seems. When we drive by some places they all have neighbors close by.

I know I couldn’t do it but some signs like you posted would be great. Like “we have small children who will be outside screaming at the top of their lungs all day” or “I am a nosy neighbor and will be watching your every more”. That’s all I think of when I see houses next to the houses we drive by.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

We have similar signs posted on a few airports, but we replace the "animals" part with "skydivers".
Didn't know that about skydivers. :laugh: Only problem I ever had with them was that they would sit on the runway & wouldn't move when you were on final approach. At least the cows did. (I learned on a dirt strip in what was then rural territory.)

Know what you mean about the transplants. I only have 13 acres, but it was carved from a dairy farm. Dearly loved the farmers, but health issues made them retire. Was truly "country" here then, but now... :banghead:

·
Registered
581 Posts

Hey now!! Some here may resemble that remark. skydiver.gif

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Youd think it would be about doing research before moving.
If the hog farm was there before you moved there, tough. If it moved in AFTER, then MAYBE youd have a case.

As to the living near an airport and complaining about the airplanes, well, I do live near an airport, and have complained, so a bit of insight on that one, we knew it was there. We talked to several neighbors. We moved. Within a few weeks, a stunt plane decided it was a good idea to perform dives, rolls, etc right over our woods.
Now, normal plane traffic from that small airport isnt a big deal, even the occasional jet taking off. They are here and gone, done. The stunt planes though, its constant, but not a constant sound, and it can be VERY loud. This is something everyone around here complains about, including the farmers.
The reason being, once in a while a stunt plane is no big deal. 8-10 hours a day, for several weeks straight is too much for about anyone. The other issue is that one or two were flying well below 500 feet. Some would barely clear the tree tops, and thats a BIG no no according to the FAA.
Now, we (the residents around the airport) dont constantly call and complain. We have a few people that go to the airport meetings and voice concerns about it. Usually that puts a stop to it for a while. Lately its been fine, but that 3 month stretch of non stop stunt planes over the house was pushing it for me.
None of the stunt planes were mentioned by anyone before we moved, so we just deal with it as best we can. Nobody around here is trying to sue anyone to stop them from doing anything, but we would like them to at least fly a bit more responsibly, and with some regard for the residents around the area. And if they wont, they wont. If we cant deal with it, we move, not them. But they arent farmers either, producing food that we eat. They are more like kids racing down the road in loud cars, and that would have been put to a stop a long time ago...but planes are different than cars.

We are surrounded by farms (its Indiana), and have never really noticed the manure they spread, except maybe the day they do it, but hey, thats part of living anywhere to me. You want to eat, you deal with what farmers do. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I provide IT services for the local township building in a rural area (farm country). The stories the receptionist tells of calls she gets from people who obviously moved there from the city into one of the few developments that have sprung up.

- The farmer spreading fertilizer and it stinks.

- There's a bunny nest in the yard, someone come get them before something happens to them.

- There's a snake in the front yard. I'm afraid to let the kids go out and play
I liked her reply to this one. "Tell them to go out and play in the back yard."

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Farmers are not the only ones who deal with this lunacy. I was in the radio communications business for 35 years. When cellular first started to build out, the towers were tall to achieve the range, provide some return before having to add more to support the increased subscriber load, and control the costs. Anything over 200' has to have obstruction lighting or even less within an airport's glide slope. I live in lake country and we get a lot of libs retiring here. As soon as the first tower went up near one's lakehome, he was complaining the tower lights were reflecting off the water into his bedroom at night, keeping him awake.

He had a lib county commissioner who went along with this madness and managed to pass a moratorium on new tower construction in the county, while they revised the ordinance. I ended up on the committee and so did the complainant. He wanted towers banned within 10 miles of a lake. The committee researched this and found that anything within two miles of a lake excluded the entire county. Moreover, one mile excluded 80% of the county. After a number of meetings it really didn't go anywhere and the moratorium lapsed.

It came up about 15 years later again and passed this time.

Of course, all the libs expect their cell phones to work everywhere, including their basements.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
There was a lawsuit like this in my town 15-20 years ago. The only highway through the town was on the edge of town way before I moved here in the 70s. Then they started building condos along the highway, and then they sued due to the noise of the traffic on the highway. Thankfully the judge smartly threw the case out of court.

Damn lawyers will have you believing you can sue because the sun doesn't shine the way you want it to. :laugh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Right to farm

Evidently there is no Right to farm act in place.

It all comes down to what my dad said 35 years ago.
"There is just too much food in this country, if they were hungry it would not matter."

Let these people keep it up and there may be hunger in this country. No better way to control the populace than with hunger.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts

Quite the opposite actually. It's was just a poorly worded right to farm law and has apparently been revised to counter this lawsuit.

And these sorts of thing happen everywhere. When I lived up in Maine everyone complained about people from Boston moving up there and trying to change the laws on guns, hunting, access to open forests, etc.. Now I sit on a couple of town boards in what is considered a "rural farming community". People move into town from bigger cities and demand all sorts of laws/ordinances be passed. Sometimes they do get passed. And it is always one of the people that pushed for the new laws that then cries that they want an exemption to it.

My dad had a saying for this kind of stuff. It was short, sweet and to the point. "People suck!".

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Youd think it would be about doing research before moving.
If the hog farm was there before you moved there, tough. If it moved in AFTER, then MAYBE youd have a case.

As to the living near an airport and complaining about the airplanes, well, I do live near an airport, and have complained, so a bit of insight on that one, we knew it was there. We talked to several neighbors. We moved. Within a few weeks, a stunt plane decided it was a good idea to perform dives, rolls, etc right over our woods.
Now, normal plane traffic from that small airport isnt a big deal, even the occasional jet taking off. They are here and gone, done. The stunt planes though, its constant, but not a constant sound, and it can be VERY loud. This is something everyone around here complains about, including the farmers.
The reason being, once in a while a stunt plane is no big deal. 8-10 hours a day, for several weeks straight is too much for about anyone. The other issue is that one or two were flying well below 500 feet. Some would barely clear the tree tops, and thats a BIG no no according to the FAA.
Now, we (the residents around the airport) dont constantly call and complain. We have a few people that go to the airport meetings and voice concerns about it. Usually that puts a stop to it for a while. Lately its been fine, but that 3 month stretch of non stop stunt planes over the house was pushing it for me.
None of the stunt planes were mentioned by anyone before we moved, so we just deal with it as best we can. Nobody around here is trying to sue anyone to stop them from doing anything, but we would like them to at least fly a bit more responsibly, and with some regard for the residents around the area. And if they wont, they wont. If we cant deal with it, we move, not them. But they arent farmers either, producing food that we eat. They are more like kids racing down the road in loud cars, and that would have been put to a stop a long time ago...but planes are different than cars.

We are surrounded by farms (its Indiana), and have never really noticed the manure they spread, except maybe the day they do it, but hey, thats part of living anywhere to me. You want to eat, you deal with what farmers do. Pretty simple.
As one involved in aerobatics, not so much as a great pilot of such, but as one that has been around it for many years, and has done a little of it, the Federal Aviation Regulations cover this. We cannot do aerobatics over highly populated areas. What chaps my hide is when, we've had an "aerobatic box", (area designated to practice and perform aerobatics) next to an airport for decades, yet people moving in next to the airport want to b*tch about the practice. Trust me, none of us want to crash, so you are not any more unsafe than if you did not have the "stunt planes" overhead. Think about it, 8-10 hours a day for decades, yet no houses lost. Pretty darn good safety record, don't you think? Oh, and why worry if they are "over your woods"?

As far as the altitude...Yes, we get low level waivers. We cannot do that over populated areas, but over field and woods, we certainly can. It's how we practice to make sure we are good before an airshow, where we have to be low level for the crowd to see and appreciate what we do.

Oh, and I can promise you, some of your neighbors DO constantly complain, even if you don't. Interesting that you would say, "they aren't farmers producing food that we eat". Want to bet? Some of us are both. We feed the country, we move the country, as airline pilots, and we fly airshows, not only for your entertainment, but to inspire the next generation. I wish I had aerobatic, or as you call then, "stunt" pilots flying over my place regularly. They are better trained than the average airline pilot, and far better trained than the small plane that flies overhead.

My statement stands regarding buying near an airport and complaining about airplanes, as much as buying near a hog farm and complaining of smell and noise.

"There is just too much food in this country, if they were hungry it would not matter."

Let these people keep it up and there may be hunger in this country. No better way to control the populace than with hunger.
Let them go hungry, and they will wish they had more hog farmers and ranchers and dairy cow farts.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
I provide IT services for the local township building in a rural area (farm country). The stories the receptionist tells of calls she gets from people who obviously moved there from the city into one of the few developments that have sprung up.

- The farmer spreading fertilizer and it stinks.
Them frigging idiots buy property up here because they want to live in "the country", but then go to town board meetings and demand that all the roads be paved, street lights put up, etc etc etc....:banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NC Right to Farm

Actually NC has a pretty strong right to farm law however the original judge simply ignored the law. Part of the brief I referenced addressed the right to farm law. It was initially fairly strong and after the suit came up, the next session of the legislature clarified it and the judge ignored that as well.

If I was in the legislature, I would be POed at judges that simply ignore plain legislative language. Actually, I'm not in any legislature and I'm still POed!

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Quite the opposite actually. It's was just a poorly worded right to farm law and has apparently been revised to counter this lawsuit.

And these sorts of thing happen everywhere. When I lived up in Maine everyone complained about people from Boston moving up there and trying to change the laws on guns, hunting, access to open forests, etc.. Now I sit on a couple of town boards in what is considered a "rural farming community". People move into town from bigger cities and demand all sorts of laws/ordinances be passed. Sometimes they do get passed. And it is always one of the people that pushed for the new laws that then cries that they want an exemption to it.

My dad had a saying for this kind of stuff. It was short, sweet and to the point. "People suck!".
Them frigging idiots buy property up here because they want to live in "the country", but then go to town board meetings and demand that all the roads be paved, street lights put up, etc etc etc....:banghead::banghead:

Do that here as well. Want small town life, then they must miss all the rules and services. Then wonder why taxes go up and things get complicated.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts

They don't always think there Going to be as near to the airport but then the airport expands Chicago O-Hare airport after WWII was Only In Cook county Now Most of it's runways are In DuPage county some People though 5 miles away In the 1950's was Far enough well the airport expanded that far But Most Large International Airports do pay for sound proofing of residential homes within a certain distance from the Airport. I Live 25miles straight west of O-Hare I actually live in the Landing flight Path for O-hare and a very Busy county airport I could care less. Though i would rather still live 15 miles further out where we use to live but the wife wanted to live here instead

The town I live In Nobody complains about animal smell as this Is a Horse town 50% of the towns 2,700 Inhabitants have Hoses we actually have a hog farm In town as well as two cow operations It's Kind of Funny where these Operations are You would think the Neighbors would complain because the Neighbors of those Operations our some of the Hollywood elite like Vince Vaughn and Jenifer Gardner But No complaints have ever been registered with the Town for any of those Operations. I have 4 CEO's Living In My section of the subdivision and there Nosier than the horse owners with there Hell cat Burn outs at 12 AM or Playing with there snowmobiles at 3am But the don't complain if I am Plowing snow at 1am with a Diesel Tractor People know Moving to this town there Going to have to Put Up with Airplanes and livestock since It's founding it's been a Horse Town and the Neighboring towns know that. Anyway You come in to town You will see the Horse Barns and white Split Rails fences a dead Giveaway that there is Livestock :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
My statement stands regarding buying near an airport and complaining about airplanes,
Only time I feel a little sorry for them is when the class of planes changes so that there's a significant upturn in noise. Sometimes the opposite happens. When I lived in Austin, was on the final approach for the AF base and really near the muni airport. When the base closed, Austin took it over and the noise factor dropped dramatically.

Hardly any farms around here anymore. Some horses, but getting less and less and smaller. Subdivisionitis prevails. Guess that why there's no local JD dealers near? :lol:

It's topics like this one that makes me wish the zombie apocalypse comes soon enough to cull the herd.
But they'll have to be proper zombies, or SB will be unhappy.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts