Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the prototype the end result will be a little nicer. About 70 bucks will make this happen. To make this item removable so I can use the hand truck for other things when the mower isn't being stored on it I'm thinking of welding the upper and lower brackets on some 1 inch strap iron and then ubolting it to the hand truck. Also thinking of adding an angle iron support to the bottom to keep the hand truck's support shelf from bending. The bottom rod is 3/4 inch all thread rod but an unthreaded rod would be better. I used what I had. The top mounts are 3/4 inch black tees cut in half with a 3 inch nipple in them. The nipple has a 5/16 inch hole drilled in it to accept the bolt. I was able to lift it up with no problems even with my "bum" arm from a fall on the ice last month. Once upright it wheels around easily.

WP_20170204_15_32_19_Pro.jpg WP_20170204_15_32_47_Pro.jpg

Ron

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
I like it. Good job Ron and thanks for taking the time to post it up and the pics

·
Registered
741 Posts
This is the prototype the end result will be a little nicer. About 70 bucks will make this happen. To make this item removable so I can use the hand truck for other things when the mower isn't being stored on it I'm thinking of welding the upper and lower brackets on some 1 inch strap iron and then ubolting it to the hand truck. Also thinking of adding an angle iron support to the bottom to keep the hand truck's support shelf from bending. The bottom rod is 3/4 inch all thread rod but an unthreaded rod would be better. I used what I had. The top mounts are 3/4 inch black tees cut in half with a 3 inch nipple in them. The nipple has a 5/16 inch hole drilled in it to accept the bolt. I was able to lift it up with no problems even with my "bum" arm from a fall on the ice last month. Once upright it wheels around easily.

Ron
Simple, effective and cost effective- well done!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I like it but the cost for me is a little more. Last time my hand truck was used I let our son use it. Tires were low on air and he used it as is. Completely destroyed the tires. I haven't replaced the tires as I thought it was up to him to do that. Hasn't happened yet and now I'm sure it won't unless I do it and I'm not doing it until I need it. He wants to use it again I'll just tell him to replace the tires or buy himself one of his own. Am I being mean? :nunu:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I like it but the cost for me is a little more. Last time my hand truck was used I let our son use it. Tires were low on air and he used it as is. Completely destroyed the tires. I haven't replaced the tires as I thought it was up to him to do that. Hasn't happened yet and now I'm sure it won't unless I do it and I'm not doing it until I need it. He wants to use it again I'll just tell him to replace the tires or buy himself one of his own. Am I being mean? :nunu:
Heck, your even lucky he brought it back. My Father-inlaw once told me if he has to come get something I borrowed it would be the last time I get to use it. After 20 years we have never had a misunderstanding. :nunu:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Heck, your even lucky he brought it back. My Father-inlaw once told me if he has to come get something I borrowed it would be the last time I get to use it. After 20 years we have never had a misunderstanding. :nunu:
He couldn't use it after he ruined the tires so that's why I got it back but he didn't tell me about the tires. I had to find out for myself. My wife now knows to not let anybody "borrow" anything without going through me first. But I was the one that let him borrow it that time. I had a tool come up missing and nobody took it or let anybody take it so now everything goes through me. I'm like your Father-in-law but my wife sometimes forgets or will give me "the look".

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck Levi just give him the one with the bad tires for his Birthday and then go buy yourself a new one. Two problems solved at once! :bigthumb:
I got mine for 30.00 on sale but they show for 40 now at Harbor Freight.
Ron

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about flats as they have a dolly with hard rubber tires as well. I figure I'll load them up with fix a flat and hope for the best. :dunno: Thought maybe the aired tires would be better on the bare ground.
Ron

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just give him one of those little attention talks like a gunny talking to a boot pfc. I didn't have to do that very many times with my son during his childhood and he grew up to be a fine young man.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ditch the hand truck, too easy for it to fall over, I went with Mower Deck Axles, you pull the rear gauge wheels out and put these axles and wheels in their place. Much more stable this way, and the main objective of keeping the mower deck off the ground is accomplished, at only $20 more that your average hand truck, I believe this is the better way to go, and safer too

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as falling over I'd have to disagree with you. You basically have the weight of a refrigerator sitting in front of the wheel axles. Once I lifted it up vertically it was very stable. When I store it against the wall I have a chain bolted to the wall that goes around the handle and makes it impossible to fall over. Very easy to move and very easy to hook up. JMHO
Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts