Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent way too much on seed and peat moss planting grass, and my ghetto sprinklers are leaking and pooling water. I need a couple sprinklers that will cover 3000 sq ft and not swamp it out in spots. I currently use these for a week now Ace Plastic Spike Base Impulse Sprinkler - Ace Hardware
and they leak, need coaxing to rotate, sloppy spray and are just not behaving well. I went cheap because I’m only using them for a couple weeks and can get more later for other projects, but frankly they suck. I was just going to go out and buy some better quality ones, but don’t want to be dissapointed if they do the same thing. So I figured I’d ask the guru’s here what to use. I’m willing to spend a couple extra dollars, maybe upwards of 60 bucks, only need to cover 3000 square feet, not leak, start on their own when I turn on the spigot, and have better spray patterns. Any advice helps. Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
That is exactly what I have in my garden, however if you want to link multiple units together like you can with the ground mounted impulse sprinklers you would need a y or t connector.. They do run in a full circle easily and they are also adjustable for coverage, spray and height.. At best with full water pressure around 50-75 foot diameter circle.. I did buy mine at lowes three years ago.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I will be dedicating one hose and spigot per sprinkler so don’t need the flow through. I assumed going all metal will behave better.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Settled on this one. Lowe’s 40 bucks each

8B6CEAFF-8C6C-4E4D-9995-8266D3FFA29A.jpeg

And wouldn’t you know it’s supposed to rain all weekend...guess I’ll be tinkering with them Monday.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I love big sprinkler sprinklers. I purchased the rotating style one due to poor waterflow off my well. I would highly recommend them to anyone whether you're running one off a garden hose or off a trash pump.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've tried an assortment of sprinklers for my gardens. I still have some that are pretty old but work fine. The biggest limitation I have at the moment is the spigots on the house. My old house didn't have any external spigots so I added some. All I could find easily were the 1/4 turn and have had nothing but problems with them. The plastic in 3 of them broke and I was glad I had installed shutoffs for each. I had to hunt but finally found some old-style with multi-turn and washers. I have one new one installed and need the right shaped TUITs to do the rest. My to-do list runs into volumes.

I opened up the broken ones and discovered why my sprinklers didn't work well with them. The full open water path was a small quarter circle, about 1/4 of the inner pipe diameter, and all plastic. One sprinkler would work but not up to spec, and if I chained two together neither would even turn. They would just dribble. Regardless of the pressure, and I had 90psi at the time, there was just not enough flow.

I have one like the Lowe's that I got at Tractor Supply. You should be happy with that one.

One last tip. When you go for couplers, splittlers or inline shutoffs look inside to check the full open diameter. Some of them are not full flow.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried an assortment of sprinklers for my gardens. I still have some that are pretty old but work fine. The biggest limitation I have at the moment is the spigots on the house. My old house didn't have any external spigots so I added some. All I could find easily were the 1/4 turn and have had nothing but problems with them. The plastic in 3 of them broke and I was glad I had installed shutoffs for each. I had to hunt but finally found some old-style with multi-turn and washers. I have one new one installed and need the right shaped TUITs to do the rest. My to-do list runs into volumes.

I opened up the broken ones and discovered why my sprinklers didn't work well with them. The full open water path was a small quarter circle, about 1/4 of the inner pipe diameter, and all plastic. One sprinkler would work but not up to spec, and if I chained two together neither would even turn. They would just dribble. Regardless of the pressure, and I had 90psi at the time, there was just not enough flow.

I have one like the Lowe's that I got at Tractor Supply. You should be happy with that one.

One last tip. When you go for couplers, splittlers or inline shutoffs look inside to check the full open diameter. Some of them are not full flow.
I so know what your talking about. When I built my house, the plumbing inspector made my plumber put these “wall hydrants” as my outdoor spigots for code and they are the quarter turn with freeze, and back flow protection. Not to mention the Pecks line is smaller than I wanted. I’ve been griping about my outside water pressure since I moved in. Shower blasts me, and sink faucets I only use half. The cheap sprinklers I had needed one hose dedicated to each and I couldn’t daisy chain them because of pressure. The new on works great. It’s getting plenty of coverage, and less puddling. I do however need to kickstart the thing spinning every time, but it’s better than standing on my front lawn at 4:30 every morning for 20 minutes with a hose

1 - 10 of 10 Posts