Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a roller that will handle smoothing out the yard plus be able to smooth a gravel trail I have. I'm having a hard time finding a roller that looks to last a long time.

Are there any brands out there that would work for pulling behind a 2032r?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I have an Agrifab. All steel but it will dent if it is used on a lot of gravel and would be noisy on it.

I don’t know how thick the poly ones are or how easy to puncture on Gravel.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
I have a 920 lb. Ohio Steel. I use it all the time for rolling and smoothing my gravel (crushed stone) driveway. I've been using it about 5 years now. Yes, it's a bit noisy as it rolls across the gravel but so far none of the neighbors have complained. :)

The key to minimizing dents is to go slow and don't roll over any large protruding stones if you can avoid it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I cant remember the brand, but Id look for one labeled heavy duty.
At least 1/8" outer skin.

Mine was built using a 1/2" thick, 24" diameter, 48" long pipe, with 1/2" thick end caps.
It weighs over 700# empty, and about 1250# full.
Its a beast. Nothing will hurt it short of being hit by a semi.
I use it empty most of the time, but when I want to flatten the gravel, I fill it up.
Mine is quieter when filled than when empty.

I might actually try to make one about 5' wide with the same material.

One other thing to keep an eye out for is the front roller from an industrial street roller or pavement roller.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts

Mine was built using a 1/2" thick, 24" diameter, 48" long pipe, with 1/2" thick end caps.
Its a beast.
That is a beast. Where did you come across that?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

Its a beast. Nothing will hurt it short of being hit by a semi.
I use it empty most of the time, but when I want to flatten the gravel, I fill it up.
Mine is quieter when filled than when empty.

I might actually try to make one about 5' wide with the same material.

One other thing to keep an eye out for is the front roller from an industrial street roller or pavement roller.
Find out the Brand! The reviews for ones the Farm & Big Box stores sell are not good, saying they do not last, rust out fast, leak, have plastic bushings that wear out first use.
At 700lbs empty, I would just leave it empty and roll my mole riddled "lawn" :greentractorride:

You could sell me your 4 footer and build yourself a 5 footer :mocking:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That is a beast. Where did you come across that?
It was built by a guy I used to work with, who used to work at a place that made steam piping, and other steam related parts/systems.
It was a "scrap" piece of pipe they had laying around.
He wanted a heavy duty roller, so he built it, then once he got it home, found his little mower had a tough time pulling it.
I got it for a ridiculous price.

Find out the Brand! The reviews for ones the Farm & Big Box stores sell are not good, saying they do not last, rust out fast, leak, have plastic bushings that wear out first use.
At 700lbs empty, I would just leave it empty and roll my mole riddled "lawn" :greentractorride:

I will. Ill see if I can figure it out today.

I could sell it to you if ever I could build a bigger one, but youd probably have to fight my neighbor for it.
You could probably take him...hes 70, and has some health issues...but still likes being out in the woods working, lol!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts

I would counter that claim. Mine is from there and is an agrifab. It has to be 10 years old, Dads is the same. I am not saying after a few years you don’t hear rust rattling around but it doesn’t leak. The plastic bushings I ordered this year for it but didn’t install them. They faired better than I thought but we grease them.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I would counter that claim. Mine is from there and is an agrifab. It has to be 10 years old, Dads is the same. I am not saying after a few years you don’t hear rust rattling around but it doesn’t leak. The plastic bushings I ordered this year for it but didn’t install them. They faired better than I thought but we grease them.
I am guessing only those with problems bother to write reviews. I am glad yours has lasted ten years. I was only going by the reviews I saw.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I'm looking for a roller that will handle smoothing out the yard plus be able to smooth a gravel trail I have. I'm having a hard time finding a roller that looks to last a long time.

Thanks
A good one isn't going to be cheap,I looked a while before settling on this one from Turftime equipment.This one is the LR-2460 60" wide 24" dia. 1400lbs full.They make them 30 dia.up to 144" wide.
Heavy Duty Turf Rollers | Turf Equipment | New Holland PA

Attachments

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
:munch:maybe ole Giz might sell that great roller he has sitting out beside his garage:mocking::lolol:

i bought my big roller at TSC probably been over 12 yrs now. steel--got dents in it from rolling the gravel down, when i put new gravel down in 05--well then i've had it for 14 yrs then. do drain it every fall for winter-oh. got my FIL's home made i helped him make yrs and yrs ago. made out of a hot water heater then, he filled it with some kind of fracking mud he was hauling to the gas wells back then, it doesn't need drained for the winter at least. it's way heavier than mine--makes the 2520 work sometimes pulling it.:munch:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
:munch:maybe ole Giz might sell that great roller he has sitting out beside his garage:mocking::lolol:
That's a tow behind lawn striper.:laugh:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a 920 lb. Ohio Steel. I use it all the time for rolling and smoothing my gravel (crushed stone) driveway. I've been using it about 5 years now. Yes, it's a bit noisy as it rolls across the gravel but so far none of the neighbors have complained. :)

The key to minimizing dents is to go slow and don't roll over any large protruding stones if you can avoid it.
I initially got the same roller at TSC. It wagged my little Cub Cadet riding mower so I hooked it up to my Turf Blazer 727. I forgot it was back there when I backed up and crushed the yoke against the drum. Had to get out the hydraulic kit to let the roller roll again. Mostly straightened the yoke but got the smaller one for the riding mower. No real gravel drive to roll.

Mud season here really limits what and when I can do in the yard. I had pretty much given up on rolling the yard. I had to rebuild the larger roller last year, the end rusted enough that the axle bar broke free. I still have hopes to roll the yard so mowing is smoother. This year I have a lot of ruts to roll too. Maybe by mid July.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks
A good one isn't going to be cheap,I looked a while before settling on this one from Turftime equipment.This one is the LR-2460 60" wide 24" dia. 1400lbs full.They make them 30 dia.up to 144" wide.
I'd like one that could handle gravel too. What would one expect to pay for a turf time? Not sure I'd have a dealer up here though.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I'd like one that could handle gravel too. What would one expect to pay for a turf time? Not sure I'd have a dealer up here though.
Wondering too. :gizmo:? They look very well made. Is the drum rolled from flat stock with a welded seam? Or tubing?

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I am guessing only those with problems bother to write reviews. I am glad yours has lasted ten years. I was only going by the reviews I saw.

No offense taken. The turf time looks like a roller that will last generations. I don’t know the wall thickness of the agri-fab but it is thin. The turf time is 3/8”. I doubt gravel is going to dent that.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ok, so a day late, but I found out.

The rollers they have are Sisco, or Enviro-Tech according to Siscos site.
They are well made, and what Id consider the light heavy duty versions. They have what appears to be 1/8" skin on the roller itself, square tube frames, and real greasable bearings.
I didnt see a price on the one they had out for display, and they were swamped, so I didnt stick around to ask. A few years ago, the 60" was $550.
SISCO - Superior Implement Supply Co.

Here are a few others I found, but they are likely a LOT more money.
Lawn Rollers, Aerators, and Scrapers | Grahl Manufacturing
Hoelscher Commercial Products - PT Roller

My thoughts on what I call an HD roller vs the box store rollers are this.
If you have a well manicured lawn, thats been rolled regularly, and you are replacing a roller, they are likely fine. Heck, for most lawns, they are probably fine.
If you have a rough area, or stone, or other stuff you are running over that is of a solid nature, you will get better service from a heavier made roller, and by that I mean a thicker material on the drum itself. Think old stumps you forgot about, buried rocks, etc.

Most issues with the box store type stem from leaving water in them and it freezing and blowing something apart on the roller.
Lots of guys are plenty happy with them, but there are also plenty of videos showing damage to the drum from rolling over a hump or something else.
They do dent easily. If you are going to take it over stone, expect to dent the heck out of it. If that doesnt happen, win win!

As for the heavier built rollers, they are much less likely to dent or bend due to rolling over something small that doesnt move.
They are also usually much heavier, though thats not generally an issue unless your area is really bad.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Yes,If I remember it was around $1,260 3 years ago. You would have to call to see where the closest dealer is.I bought right from them and was 4 days shipping.
I got the LR model.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
These are the agri-fab rollers. The rear right one is a cheap auction find. I don’t know it rolled but you get the idea what can happen with the thin ones. The center one is my old one and it has a few dents as well.

I think the back right one still makes it smoother.:laugh:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts