Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm looking for a meat grinder. I'm ready to start making sausage primarily. I have a Kitchenaid mixer, but don't like their grinder attachment. I found this one that works on my mixer. It looks much better than the plastic version by Kitchenaid.

Am I barking up the wrong tree looking for an attachment like this, or should I look at a stand alone device? I'm looking for something that is powered, has multiple dies and can accept stuffing tubes. Any suggestions?

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm no help there. I have one that has been in the family for generations. It clamps to a table and is powered by a human turning the crank. Needless to say, it gets used, but not regularly. :mocking:

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, my mom offered me one of those. :)

I have a feeling that this may go like the bacon has gone. I thought I'd make that every other month, or so. I'm now making a batch every 9 days to keep all of the friends and family happy. :laugh:

So, I'm looking for a 'letric one.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I used one 2 weeks ago...if it wasn't the same, it was darn close. I made up about 50 lbs of deer meat sausage in a couple of hours.Thats with blending in some pork sausage with it. If ou have the bigger Kitchen Aide, it should work well. My son keeps it sharp by rubbing the plates over fine grit sandpaper of a very flat granite stone every year. But he processes a lot of sausage. I'm going to get me one....hopefully santa reads this

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
I'm no help there. I have one that has been in the family for generations. It clamps to a table and is powered by a human turning the crank. Needless to say, it gets used, but not regularly. :mocking:
I think we have one just like it. Works well but wouldn't want to run it all day.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
So, I'm looking for a meat grinder. I'm ready to start making sausage primarily. I have a Kitchenaid mixer, but don't like their grinder attachment. I found this one that works on my mixer. It looks much better than the plastic version by Kitchenaid.

Am I barking up the wrong tree looking for an attachment like this, or should I look at a stand alone device? I'm looking for something that is powered, has multiple dies and can accept stuffing tubes. Any suggestions?
Man, I don't know what your full expectations are for your grinder, but I can tell you that that attachment did not even come close to cutting it for me. I've used various hand grinders, completely worn out a kitchen type model, and then finally got one that I am happy with. Now, when I go to use mine I'm grinding around 4 or so deer plus pork at once. If you are only doing a pound or two at a time that attachment might work for you. Personally I like the #12 size grinders. I have an LEM. I would also recommend the cabelas grinders (the good ones, cabelas has multiple flavors). Of course the grinders I listed go for 4-500 bucks. If you don't do much you could go with a #8 in those brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, y'all have me thinking of going a different direction. I'm now looking at the Cabela's grinders. I didn't know what a #8 grinder was until today. :) When I take on projects like this, I generally tend to do larger batches less frequently.

I've got it narrowed it down to the Cabela's Professional series and either a #8, or #12. There is only $50 difference in price and they are currently on sale as a club deal. I'm already pushing my budget, so I'm topped out size wise. I'm going to stop by and look at them since we've got our brandy new store.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bubbler,

I purchased the #8 grinder from cabelas a few years back and I really like it. My wife and I will not buy ground meat from the grocery store any longer because we prefer to grind our own because it is so much better tasting. The cabelas grinder is a very capable unit and seems to be well made. LEM is another nice unit as recommended by Milharri. Let us know on what you wind up with.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I use an old Orkert Ideal #22 hand grinder. It's bolted to a board that I clamp into my bench wood vice. Grind around 22# of venison per year.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you have not already purchased you might consider checking with places like restaurantmart or other restaurant surplus dealers. Co-worker picked up a grinder for just over a $100 bill and he says he can not feed the meat in as fast as it works.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have not already purchased you might consider checking with places like restaurantmart or other restaurant surplus dealers. Co-worker picked up a grinder for just over a $100 bill and he says he can not feed the meat in as fast as it works.
I checked, but all I could find was WAY too big for me, or needed repair. I ended up going with the Cabela's grinder. It didn't hurt that I got a Cabela's gift card for Christmas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts