Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Husqvarna backpack sprayer for several years that has served me well until I recently needed parts for it.
Figured I'd go ahead and bite the bullet and get a decent one.
So what's recommended for a manual 4 gallon sprayer? Looking for comfort, no leak, and ease of obtaining parts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you said manual, but..... I just swapped to a battery powered backpack, it shaved 80% off of my spraying time, and I don't have to work the pump. If you are set on a manual, I'm no help there.
Thanks, I've thought about battery powered but with my luck, I would be as far away from the truck as possible when the battery would die

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Thanks, I've thought about battery powered but with my luck, I would be as far away from the truck as possible when the battery would die
How much spraying do you have? I cut 2 hours off of my spray time, with a battery that supposedly lasts for 6-8 hours of spray time. In about 40 minutes, I sprayed 7 gallons of product.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Chapin. Purchased at Lowe’s about 5 years ago, and uses a Black and Decker 20V battery. It is comfortable to wear, has never clogged or leaked, and I liked the first one so much I went back and bought a second one to use just for herbicides. it seems that it is no longer made for B&D batteries, but Chapin has the identical sprayer with a different rechargeable battery system. It is pricey at about $160.

Once you go battery you will never go back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So with a battery operated pack, how do u adjust the pressure? Like with the manual, if it's windy, I don't pump the handle as much to adjust the output so it isn't a fine mist coming out

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I’ve had a Solo for over 25 years. Haven’t had to rebuild it once. I just make sure it’s cleaned and rinsed when done.

I bought a Fimco battery powered sprayer once. No complaints on the battery life, but the hose and nozzle parts broke constantly. I had a tough time getting parts for it, although I did finally find them. I bought extras. The last time it broke, I repaired it again, stuffed it back in the box with the extra parts and donated it to Goodwill. The Solo works fine on hard to get areas, otherwise I use the 21 gallon tow behind I got from Northern Tool.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would NOT buy a Jacto. Last year I purchased a Jacto backpack sprayer with a manual pump action. The filler cap does not have any type of seal so when you put the pack on, or lean slightly forward when the tank is full the liquid in the tank pours out and down your back.

It is cooling on a hot day, but I don't think Roundup or Weed B Gone are the healthiest liquids to be dumping down your back. I purchased the sprayer from Gemplers and they did agree to take it back. I decided to keep it because I needed something and I found an O ring that fit the filler cap which help mitigate the problem.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I had a Stihl sprayer several years ago and it developed "legs". So I replaced it with one from Harbor Freight. Nothing fancy but reliable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have 4 Gallon Ryobi Backpack sprayer. Works fine; extra batteries are cheap enough or convenient if one is already in their system. Home Depot is usually pretty good with returns too. That said, Ryobi is often noted as a home owner / weekend warrior brand (which is why I have a lot of their products) so may not be the best for professional use. You might consider giving it a test run and seeing if it works for you and manage your risk knowing you can return.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
So what's recommended for a manual 4 gallon sprayer? Looking for comfort, no leak, and ease of obtaining parts.
Do you spray insecticides as an extirminator / pest control guy or are you in landscaping / lawn maintenance with herbicides, who uses a sprayermany times a day? You said you spray at different properties, so I assume you must be one or the other. Several of the recommended sprayers, like the one I recommended earlier, are for occasional use by a homeowner. And batteries are likely not a real option for someone like you, who needis extended use and reliability, and can't wait for a day with no wind to spray. I missed the multiple properties part before. You probably need to go upscale with a professional manual pump adjustable pressure and spray pattern model.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Chapin. Purchased at Lowe’s about 5 years ago, and uses a Black and Decker 20V battery. It is comfortable to wear, has never clogged or leaked, and I liked the first one so much I went back and bought a second one to use just for herbicides. it seems that it is no longer made for B&D batteries, but Chapin has the identical sprayer with a different rechargeable battery system. It is pricey at about $160.

Same here -- I'll never go back to pump sprayers. What a difference and time saver. Seriously, buy and try it and if you don't like it take it back. I suspect you'll convert. I rotate three batteries as our electric weed eater shares the same size/type. I spray a lot and honestly I've never drained a battery after a couple of hours. Weed eater, yes, this backpack seems to go forever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had a Husqvarna backpack sprayer for several years that has served me well until I recently needed parts for it.
Figured I'd go ahead and bite the bullet and get a decent one.
When you say "sprayer" I assume you meant for stream/fan spray. I purchased the Ryobi 4-gallon battery powered sprayer and I LOVE it. It means I'm not constantly pumping that handle (which, for me, would occasionally fall off). I've sprayed 8 gallons on one charge and barely put a dent in the included battery. Unless you have HOURS of spraying to do, it will probably do the job.

However, if you mean a FOGGER sprayer, then Stihl may be the way to go.

Steve

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Do you spray insecticides as an extirminator / pest control guy or are you in landscaping / lawn maintenance with herbicides, who uses a sprayermany times a day? You said you spray at different properties, so I assume you must be one or the other. Several of the recommended sprayers, like the one I recommended earlier, are for occasional use by a homeowner. And batteries are likely not a real option for someone like you, who needis extended use and reliability, and can't wait for a day with no wind to spray. I missed the multiple properties part before. You probably need to go upscale with a professional manual pump adjustable pressure and spray pattern model.
There are professionals that exclusively use battery sprayers, many are on YouTube. The one I have is built for and would easily support professional use, and is much easier to justify if it's for a business.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
I have now used my Milwaukee M18 back pack sprayer for 2 years. I find it very handy.
I have a bed divider in my 865M gator and it fits down perfectly in the pocket behind the drivers seat.
I drive it all over the property spraying fence lines and around trees etc.
I then pull it out of the bed and put it on my back and walk around spraying all the areas I can't get the gator into.
Very handy tool, since I already have lots of M12 and M18 Milwaulkee tools, I had plenty of M18 batteries, so I just bought the sprayer as a tool only.

I really like how I can separate the tank from the base. I typically fill the tank in the kitchen sink with hot water then add in my chemicals.

Reactions: JD Driver

·
Premium Member
242 Posts

I have had the Chapin for several years, no problem, would do it again. I use it every week to spray pesticide and herbicides. Also am spoiled and won't use the pump sprayer unless I have to.

I also bought a Ryobi (home depot) couple gallon electric sprayer for smaller spray jobs. Junk! I have had plastic crack and fall apart on it. Must be common as those parts are available for replacement. Also had an issue with the pump not building the pressure it did, should, after a few months of use. I had high hope for it since it used the same batteries that many of my battery powered tools use.

Steve

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
573 Posts
I have now used my Milwaukee M18 back pack sprayer for 2 years. I find it very handy.
I have a bed divider in my 865M gator and it fits down perfectly in the pocket behind the drivers seat.
I drive it all over the property spraying fence lines and around trees etc.
I then pull it out of the bed and put it on my back and walk around spraying all the areas I can't get the gator into.
Very handy tool, since I already have lots of M12 and M18 Milwaulkee tools, I had plenty of M18 batteries, so I just bought the sprayer as a tool only.

I really like how I can separate the tank from the base. I typically fill the tank in the kitchen sink with hot water then add in my chemicals.
View attachment 795110

No problems with tank leakage? I was going to buy one of these Milwaukee sprayers recently, but all the reviews reporting leakage (down your back) gave me pause.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.