Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running dual Optima redtops for years, but the truck sitts for long stretches on a tender, and I'm finding these spiral-cell batteries aren't holding up like they used to. So I'm thinking of just replacing with a single really good battery. I've had some advice from friends. some say go cheap like Walmart (as if I'd be seen there!) or Autozone (some say the same batteries as walmart rebadged) and some say go Diehard Platinum from Sears with 48month replacement warranty ($50 more than anyone else)

So what do you guys think? Whats the best breakpoint between Price/Quality/Warranty and ease of replacement if necessary (not going to Johnny's Cheap Battery shop over on South Main St) ?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
The BEST battery hands down that I've ever had was a Sears Diehard, that thing lasted forever, Sears left, need a battery bought an Interstate. I have no idea what was wrong but that sucker would die EVERY 6 months. Their tech could find nothing wrong with the truck, and just kept replacing them with new ones. :thumbup1gif:

That truck is long gone, the new one had a the factory junk from Chevy, replaced it with an Interstate. The way it's acting, I'll be lucky IF it lasts through it's warranty expiration before it dies. I can't tell you what the best is, but I would encourage you to steer clear of Interstate.

A question: Do the tenders with the desulfator make a difference? I've seen articles but have no experience with them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That truck is long gone, the new one had a the factory junk from Chevy, replaced it with an Interstate. The way it's acting, I'll be lucky IF it lasts through it's warranty expiration before it dies. I can't tell you what the best is, but I would encourage you to steer clear of Interstate.
I have diesel trucks, have had the same problem with Interstate batteries, kept getting them replaced under the warranty. Finally went to an interstate dealership, they replaced the batteries with a model that has more lead in it. These batteries have lasted 3 years and seem to be doing fine, I think they have some good batteries but you are at the mercy of the
person doing the recommendations.

Haven't put the Walmart batteries in my truck, but their batteries last longer than the JD batteries shipped in their equipment and consumer reports always rates them high on the list.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I put two new Interstates in my truck back in March, so far so good. Jason found a battery from Batteries Plus that he was pretty excited about, there's a thread about it on here somewhere.

I put a local rebuilt battery in the tractor. A group 31 cost $60, and had a 12 month warranty. The warranty on a new Interstate was only 18 months and it was double the price. That might be an option as well if you have a local battery shop.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The BEST battery hands down that I've ever had was a Sears Diehard, that thing lasted forever, Sears left, need a battery bought an Interstate. I have no idea what was wrong but that sucker would die EVERY 6 months. Their tech could find nothing wrong with the truck, and just kept replacing them with new ones. :thumbup1gif:

A question: Do the tenders with the desulfator make a difference? I've seen articles but have no experience with them.
I am not familiar with a desulfator, but I've had a battery tender for years for my motorcycle, and the tractor, and now my truck as well.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya,

I've used Deka batteries for years in my Diesels. At one time East Penn was the supplier for Sears Die Hard however, I don't know if that is still the case.

Tom

East Penn Manufacturing – The world's largest single site, family-owned lead-acid battery manufacturer
How Ironic,
East Penn Manufacturing is from my neck of Pennsylvania, however, do you think I could find anyone nearby that sells DEKA batteries? I see Lowes hs some listed, but it looks like they are farm and mower batteries.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had more problems with expensive battery over the winter than with cheap ones:laugh:I would buy one that is easy to return if go bad:bigthumb: I just replace my optima 2 year old with a napa

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I gave up the battery hunt game,,, and go to Sams Club first,,, 95% of the time they have what I need.

For some reason, Sams did not have the battery for our 2007 Colorado,,, Advance Auto got that sale.

I am disappointed with how short the warranty is now on batteries,,, typically 3 years.

I get 6-8 years out of tractor batteries, 4 years out of car/truck batteries.

I have a LOT of batteries,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
How Ironic,
East Penn Manufacturing is from my neck of Pennsylvania, however, do you think I could find anyone nearby that sells DEKA batteries? I see Lowes hs some listed, but it looks like they are farm and mower batteries.
Being I used to live in that area - East Penn used to have an outlet store - don't know if they still do.

I think the whole battery thing is a gamble. Last winter I replaced my factory Ford battery after 6 years - not bad. I ended up getting one from the dealer. Same price and warranty as everyone else except they offer free towing to the nearest dealer for a battery related problem under warranty. I liked that because I really hesitate to jump anyone or get a jump with all the electronics in these newer vehicles. If the battery dies I would just as soon have it towed in rather than chancing frying the $2800.00 NAV system or something like that.

·
Registered
376 Posts
How Ironic,
I know there is one somewhere in Penn. as my buddy picks up seconds and that is what we use on our solar bear fences to keep them out of the bees. they have to be the heaviest batteries I have ever had to carry, they reportedly have more lead also in them.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
I've been running dual Optima redtops for years, but the truck sitts for long stretches on a tender, and I'm finding these spiral-cell batteries aren't holding up like they used to. So I'm thinking of just replacing with a single really good battery. I've had some advice from friends. some say go cheap like Walmart (as if I'd be seen there!) or Autozone (some say the same batteries as walmart rebadged) and some say go Diehard Platinum from Sears with 48month replacement warranty ($50 more than anyone else)

So what do you guys think? Whats the best breakpoint between Price/Quality/Warranty and ease of replacement if necessary (not going to Johnny's Cheap Battery shop over on South Main St) ?
Have had real good luck with Autozone, usually get 4-5 years out of them.
The one on the diesel tractor is 7 years old, still going.

Way back when, used to use NAPA, but it got to the point I was replacing them every 2-3 years.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gave up the battery hunt game,,, and go to Sams Club first,,, 95% of the time they have what I need.

For some reason, Sams did not have the battery for our 2007 Colorado,,, Advance Auto got that sale.

I am disappointed with how short the warranty is now on batteries,,, typically 3 years.

I get 6-8 years out of tractor batteries, 4 years out of car/truck batteries.

I have a LOT of batteries,,, :flag_of_truce:
48 months replacement on Diehards

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
I wouldn't bet much on Sears being around that long, but that's just me...:flag_of_truce:
To think what Sears was way back when and now what they have become.:banghead:
A shame really.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The Ford factory Motocraft batteries have good life to them. The shop I work at moved away from NAPA batteries and went to the Motocraft ones. I can't comment on the price as we buy them by the skid and get a bulk discount.

About 15 years ago I worked at a Sears auto center and outfitted my vehicles with Diehard Gold batteries. Those things lasted forever. I even kept one when I sold the car and swapped it into another car I had. Not sure how they are now, been awile since I was at a Sears Auto Center.

If you have AGM batteries like Optimas and keep them on a tender, make sure the tender has a setting for AGM. AGMs take a different maintenance cycle than conventional batteries.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My wife's car sets a lot and after replacing the battery twice in it for that reason, I decided to try a charger/desulphator on it and that cured that problem. I liked it so well I now have one on everything I have that has a battery.

I never had much luck with Interstate batteries. For years I used nothing but DieHards and always had good luck with them. But one time I needed a battery for a small tractor that had a really tight space and could not get a DieHard that was the right physical size to fit in it. After searching around found that AutoZone had one that would fit in the space so tried it. I was impressed with it, it turned out to be as good as the DieHards had been. I started using AutoZones after that and have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Went through this a couple years back.

The original AC battery in the 02' Jeep was getting weak in the cold.
I found out that AC went China crap from the Jeep guys in town, who told me to hunt down an Odyssey Gel battery, and nothing else would come close.

In the meantime, the 2500HD puked another Battery during a -30F spell,...so things got serious quick.

Some digging revealed that Johnson Controls, also went China crap in most lines, and Odyssey was was the last decent option.
Sears platinum Gel is Odyssey made. I figured that was good, but Sears is long gone here...no Sears store within a couple hours.

Then I found out Odyssey also made Batterys for others, and Johnson controls makes a few here for Autozone in the platinum line.

Given the zero options of a local dealer for Odyssey, I gambled on the Johnson controls AGM batterys from Auto zone.
Doing pre-winter checks, so far so good.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I run a Walmart battery in my truck and I've had it replaced twice under warranty cause they have a three year warranty just keep the receipt

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts