Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke a mirror on the passenger side of my 835R gator. The mirror is just cracked and the rest of it is fine. I was looking on the Internet for a replacement and all I can find is this kit. https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Side-Mirrors-Kit-BUC10310.html I can’t imagine there is not a replacement for just the one mirror instead of the whole kit. Can somebody educate me and lead me in the right direction on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect the John Deere dealer can order only the part you need.
That’s what I was hoping but I didn’t see anything online so I’ll wait and see tomorrow when I call. It’s pretty expensive to order the kit.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You might check with a local automotive glass shop, they could likely install new glass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The entire kit is extremely expensive which is why I almost did not purchase it but I run on a township road for about 2 miles and felt it was justified for safety reasons. Let us know how you make out.
i called a couple of dealerships today and for the kit I’m roughly looking at 190.00 plus tax and I can buy the one mirror by itself which would be exactly half of the kit cause it comes with all the hardware weather you need it or not for 110.00. I also checked the auto glass repair shops and they said they would have to look at it to make sure they could work with what I got but if it was possible it would be about half the cost of buying a single mirror from John Deere. I’m thinking I might take it down and see what the custom glass shops can do and if that doesn’t work I might just buy the kit because it’s only 80 bucks more and I’ll have an extra one if I need it in the future. Also these mirrors are not side specific so even if I use the passenger side right now I can still use the extra one for the passenger side again later.

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW!!! I've smacked my mirrors against brush and trees in the woods and have been lucky. Will be extra cautious from now on. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Please keep us updated on your progress

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW!!! I've smacked my mirrors against brush and trees in the woods and have been lucky. Will be extra cautious from now on. Thanks for the info.
I smacked mine while backing in my Gator shed...it’s a narrow fit 😂
FDEA6BBA-F2B0-4EB7-B64C-70F870F8B8D0.jpeg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is what I came up so far with that broken mirror. I’ll put a link down to a video I put on YouTube so you have a better idea of what I’m talking about. I’ll also post a couple of pictures to show you the simplicity of the mirror and taking it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Video is set to private viewing?

If you use discount code GTT you can receive about a 7% discount at Green Farm Parts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Video is set to private viewing?

If you use discount code GTT you can receive about a 7% discount at Green Farm Parts
Thanks for the heads up, I wasn’t able to get the part from the North American distributor so far cause the item number on the back of the mirror was invalid when they checked with the company that produces them in Australia. I suspect that is JD’s item number for the mirror so I can’t believe they don’t sell it separately. Next step is see if I can get a flat mirror cut to the size of the old one which is a bit curved and see how that works. The place I contacted about cutting one said it would be about $15.00 to try it. If all else fails I can use that 7% off on a Single mirror kit for $120. Or the complete kit for 180.00 to get that mirror that is a fraction of the cost of that.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I wasn’t able to get the part from the North American distributor so far cause the item number on the back of the mirror was invalid when they checked with the company that produces them in Australia. I suspect that is JD’s item number for the mirror so I can’t believe they don’t sell it separately. Next step is see if I can get a flat mirror cut to the size of the old one which is a bit curved and see how that works. The place I contacted about cutting one said it would be about $15.00 to try it. If all else fails I can use that 7% off on a Single mirror kit for $120. Or the complete kit for 180.00 to get that mirror that is a fraction of the cost of that.
boy oh boy them mirrors sure went up in price since i bought mine. pretty sure i only paid $70 a side for mine. i thought that was very salty back then, but good mirrors to see is high dollars. of course that was in 2018 now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
boy oh boy them mirrors sure went up in price since i bought mine. pretty sure i only paid $70 a side for mine. i thought that was very salty back then, but good mirrors to see is high dollars. of course that was in 2018 now.
They might be a little over priced Jim but what gets my goat is that this mirror comes apart with a simple removal of a rubber seal that you can pull off by hand. After that it basically falls into your hand and on the back it has its own item number so it would be nice to be able to buy the mirror itself instead of buying the housing, break away arm and the bracket that goes with it. These mirrors probably won’t get damaged beyond the glass breaking simply because the break away arm protects it from getting torn off for the most part.

·
Registered
24 Posts
These mirrors probably won’t get damaged beyond the glass breaking simply because the break away arm protects it from getting torn off for the most part.
I agree 100 percent after having smacked mine against brush and trees a few times, but have been lucky that neither left or right mirror has been broken. I now fold them all the way in when going on narrow trails.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to get a mirror cut today for my Gator at the glass shop. They found a piece of 1/8 inch mirror that they used and cut it to the size. The mirror that came out of my Gator was only about a 1/16 of a inch. I figured I’d give it a shot and see if I could make it work since that was the thinnest mirror they had. Obviously it isn’t perfect but I think it will do just fine. It fit in there and the the rubber seal was able to go back on like it was before with no movement of the mirror so it’s secure. BTW I only paid 10.00 for the mirror and for them to cut it to size. So in conclusion I think if somebody was able to get a hold of a 1/16 inch mirror to cut to size it would work perfect even though it’s not curved like the old one.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
I went to get a mirror cut today for my Gator at the glass shop. They found a piece of 1/8 inch mirror that they used and cut it to the size. The mirror that came out of my Gator was only about a 1/16 of a inch. I figured I’d give it a shot and see if I could make it work since that was the thinnest mirror they had. Obviously it isn’t perfect but I think it will do just fine. It fit in there and the the rubber seal was able to go back on like it was before with no movement of the mirror so it’s secure. BTW I only paid 10.00 for the mirror and for them to cut it to size. So in conclusion I think if somebody was able to get a hold of a 1/16 inch mirror to cut to size it would work perfect even though it’s not curved like the old one.
well for that much difference in price--i would be ok with it too. nice to know it fit. see how long it lasts now--bet it lasts till it gets smacked

1 - 18 of 18 Posts