Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small drag harrow which measures 5 feet wide by 7 feet long, and weighs around 160 pounds. I'm pushing 70 and manhandling and lifting it isn't doable any more. I do use it about once a week on 5 acres of horse pasture. I'd like to find a way to store it safely. Leaving it on the ground isn't really a good option, since I'm worried about a loose horse possibly running over it. I've got a tractor/implement storage space underneath my barn overhang but can't drive in and drop it there, since there's a wall to a workshop at one end.

Here are a few ideas so far. One, build a small enclosure with a gate at both ends - drive in, drop, and close both gates. Two, build a box-like cover from pressure treated lumber to put over it - that obviously means lifting the cover off and putting it back on. Three, dropping it, then picking it up with my loader bucket hooks, and hanging it from hooks on the barn wall under the overhang. I kind of like that idea because I could the use the bucket to lay it on the ground to use with either side down. I wouldn't need to manually flip it over.

But, there must be a better way. If you know of one, please post it. Thanks.

Reactions: vacruiser

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Moving it with the bucket seems to be the best way.

Reactions: LoneStranger

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Mount some sort of block & tackle outside the barn so you can hoist it out of the way. Northern Tool or TSC sells that sort of thing.

Reactions: LoneStranger

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Since you have a loader, that makes it easy. Just use the loader to move it over by a fence or side of a building and lean it up against the fence or building.

I once heard of someone that gave away his wheelbarrow after he got a loader on his tractor. I have a neighbor who I am working on convincing that he needs to use his loader more often instead of manhandling things. He is now recovering from back surgery and I think I may have finally convinced him. This weekend we used my loader with forks to move a bunch of heavy stuff up on top of his workshop area in his barn. I barely had enough lift height capability to get it high enough to offload onto the floor over the shop area. I figure it would have taken 6 guys to move that heavy sofa up that high that has recliners built into it. His Kubota is a little smaller than my tractor and would not have been able to lift high enough to get the job done.

Dave

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If it is anything like ours, it can be folded up. Once folded, it could easily be picked up with your loader.

Strangely enough, my brother insisted on videoing the "harrow fold" as if it was some sort of ritual. Truth is, he had to fold/unfold and lift the 3 sections (I thought there were more) of the harrow up onto the disk (which was 3' high) for transport...all by himself. No wonder he remembers it vividly.
By the time I was big enough to drive, we had abandoned the 'drag-harrow' concept.

Anyway, the 14:05 mark of this video shows the 'folding of the harrow' ceremony :laugh:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is anything like ours, it can be folded up. Once folded, it could easily be picked up with your loader.

Strangely enough, my brother insisted on videoing the "harrow fold" as if it was some sort of ritual. Truth is, he had to fold/unfold and lift the 3 sections (I thought there were more) of the harrow up onto the disk (which was 3' high) for transport...all by himself. No wonder he remembers it vividly.
By the time I was big enough to drive, we had abandoned the 'drag-harrow' concept.

Anyway, the 14:05 mark of this video shows the 'folding of the harrow' ceremony :laugh:

Thanks for posting the video. I enjoyed it. I'm wondering about the greasing device being used at around the 5:00 mark. What is it?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thanks for posting the video. I enjoyed it. I'm wondering about the greasing device being used at around the 5:00 mark. What is it?
Well, lots of discussion about this device starting at the 4 minute mark. We called it "today's sponsor". ...just a joke, not REALLY a sponsor. ...but we DID spend a whole minute of the video demoing the device and how easy it is to use. I wish my brother had 'pulled' on the grease gun hose while it is attached. It will NOT detach until you click the lever. It locks, then you lube!
Anyway, it is called the "LockNLube". VERY nice improvement. Lots of discussion on this device on this forum.

Here is a link to where you can buy one. They are always about $30, but I would say well worth it. LockNLube @ Amazon

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts