Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found and joined this forum and let me explain my situation and reasons I want to purchase a new 1025R TLB. We just purchased a new house on 4+ acres and will be passing papers in a couple of weeks. My wife and I are in our 60's so this will be our last house and we want to make it our best. The property is mostly wooded with enough well landscaped grassy yard to warrant at least a lawn tractor and I already have a John Deere D140 with a 48" mower deck and bagger that I purchased a couple of years ago. The house itself is located at the back of the property so there is a 650' driveway from the street to the garage.

That is the main reason I want to purchase the 1025R with a cab and 54" snow thrower so I can keep it all clear throughout our typical New England winters. I do plan on doing a bit of landscaping and some digging projects in the near future as well, that's why I want the TLB option for hauling, spreading, digging, etc. I love my D140 and know it and maintain it well, but I have no experience with anything larger and the 1025R will be all new to me. I've already contacted a local John Deere dealership and explained to him what I want (1025R TLB with snow thrower and cab) but also the addition of the 55 amp alternator (recommended with the heated cab), rear lighting kit and rear wiper, and a 12" bucket for the backhoe.

For what I intend to use it for, are there any additional options that I should consider or need? Also, the dealership quoted me a price of more than $31k for all of the above. Would I be able to haggle a better deal as I would with buying a new car or truck or are the prices at JD etched in stone? I am going to be paying cash. Would that help me get a better deal as well?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think the cab is what has driven your price up a bit...probably by 5k or so......I'm kind of new here, and had considered the 1025R TLB. I opted for just the 1025R with FEL and 60"MMM. While I do not have woods, I do have some digging to do, but not enough to warrant the additional cost of the TLB.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
What is your driveway, gravel, asphalt, cement? If you have gravel you might need a box blade. Suit case weights for sure, at least 8. If you start getting rear attachments get the iMatch and make sure all equipment is iMatch compatible. After you think you have everything you might need you will want to visit "Heavy Hitch" and re-think it. After having the 1025r TLB for a while you might want to re-think everything again. This can delete the wallet. :gizmo: Forks could be in your future too. And maybe a grapple. How much of your money do you want us to spend for you? :laugh:
Cash carries as much weight as you make it. It's your money so it's your terms in as much as JD will allow.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
In my experience, you'll want some sort of blade to go along with your blower. Having the snowblower is nice but it won't do much for you if you get 2" of slush. Deere has the 54" snowplow but if you are going with a front blower I'd suggest you find a 5' back blade and hang that off the back end of the tractor. An iMatch Quick Hitch would make that (as well as many other 3-point implements) much easier to mount.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If your driveway is gravel, I strongly suggest a box blade. While a front blade is ok, it will not so what a BB will do. I have both, I use the BB more than I do the front blade to maintain my driveway. The 12" bucket for the BH was a good choice and will give you plenty of digging power for stumps and such. Much wider and the 1025 just grunts at hard ground. While it works it just works the BH more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The driveway is all paved. After much reading it appears that the Tektite cab may be a better option than the factory cab.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
Hey Shortstuff! Which dealer are you working with? Padula Bros.? 146 Supply? Schmidt?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Cab info

Just so you know the factory cab is listed as not compatible with the backhoe. My dealer told me it just needs to be removed to use the backhoe. Not sure what can you are looking at though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What is your driveway, gravel, asphalt, cement? If you have gravel you might need a box blade. Suit case weights for sure, at least 8. If you start getting rear attachments get the iMatch and make sure all equipment is iMatch compatible. After you think you have everything you might need you will want to visit "Heavy Hitch" and re-think it. After having the 1025r TLB for a while you might want to re-think everything again. This can delete the wallet. :gizmo: Forks could be in your future too. And maybe a grapple. How much of your money do you want us to spend for you? :laugh:
Cash carries as much weight as you make it. It's your money so it's your terms in as much as JD will allow.
Levi is correct. It all depends on what you want to do as these 1025r's can do a lot. I reviewed what I wanted to do at my property then made a list of what I would need. But, I came up short by not getting the back hoe and will be adding that to the list for a near future buy.

Rear and front ballast is important. Take your time and ask a lot of questions here. I did that and the guy's here helped me out a lot. They know their stuff.

Also look at "Tractor Time With Tim" on You Tube so you can get a really good feel for what the 1025R can do for you. Tim's videos are great and extremely helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/user/timmarks416

Good luck and let's us know how things work out. And of course ask a lot of questions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just so you know the factory cab is listed as not compatible with the backhoe. My dealer told me it just needs to be removed to use the backhoe. Not sure what can you are looking at though.
The dealer quoted me for a Curtis cab which is supposed to be "backhoe compatible".

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
146 Supply.
Okies! Some of our other members have had a couple of issues with 146 Supply. I haven't used them myself so I don't know the full story there but it might be worth your while to get a quote from one (or two!) of the other dealers in the area.

If you are financing through Deere then this won't matter but if you are paying cash or financing elsewhere, check with the dealers in NH too. You're looking at almost $2K in sales tax on a $31K machine.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Okies! Some of our other members have had a couple of issues with 146 Supply. I haven't used them myself so I don't know the full story there but it might be worth your while to get a quote from one (or two!) of the other dealers in the area.

If you are financing through Deere then this won't matter but if you are paying cash or financing elsewhere, check with the dealers in NH too. You're looking at almost $2K in sales tax on a $31K machine.
You can save a lot by avoiding sales tax if possible. I live in Maryland and drove 2hours with my trailer to purchase my tractor in Delaware and saved about $1500.00 on tax. Then spent it on implements! :gizmo:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Cash also opens up the used market. There are some incredible buys out there if you look and be patient. I see 1025rTLB's selling used 15k-16k$ quite often. And these are 2015-2016 with very low hours. Basically brand new. You can avoid the sales tax and many times receive the warranty. Then spend the balance like mentioned on a trailer, implements, blower...
Spend several minutes a day searching Tractor house, Cllist, Search tempest and in a month you will be a happy camper!

What a coincidence...

Bet you can get this for @16k$ ...25hrs...- https://vermont.craigslist.org/grd/6106600818.html

Heres your Blower...https://nh.craigslist.org/grd/6105211295.html

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Unless your property is flat, you do not want to put a cab on 1025r and leave it there all year round. The tractor will be dangerously top heavy. If it is flat, don't go fast when reversing and turning at the same time. Especially with a cab on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless your property is flat, you do not want to put a cab on 1025r and leave it there all year round. The tractor will be dangerously top heavy. If it is flat, don't go fast when reversing and turning at the same time. Especially with a cab on.
I only intend to use a cab for use with a snow thrower. As soon as reasonable I'll be taking the cab and thrower off until the next snow flies.

That brings me to my next question about which cab should I buy? The dealership is opting me with a Curtis cab, but I see there are others out there. The Tektite looks like one of the best cabs out there, but at more than $6k it is a bit pricey. I see there's a Cozy cab and even Mauser. Are there other brands I should look at?

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions. I've got to make decisions pretty soon.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If your'e going with a TLB, the cab will have to be compatible with the backhoe. The OEM can is made by Mauer (I believe) and is NOT backhoe compatible. Your dealer is probably quoting Curtis as they are made in MA. Tektite is made in Canada, so I'm sure the wait and $$ will be more.
You should talk to other dealers to ensure you get your monies worth. Padula Bros is a good one as well as Rozencrantz (James R. Rosencrantz & Sons | Selling new and preowned agriculture equipment from top brands like John Deere and Stihl | Proudly serving our neighbors in Seabrook and Hampton) and North Country (North Country Tractor, Inc. - Home) in NH. Good luck.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I just found and joined this forum and let me explain my situation and reasons I want to purchase a new 1025R TLB. .........

That is the main reason I want to purchase the 1025R with a cab and 54" snow thrower ........................... I want the TLB option for hauling, spreading, digging, etc. heated cab), .............

Steve
From the words "I want......." that is reason enough to get the tractor and attachments.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts