Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a new zero turn this spring. I have three acres to mow. I have had a Scag Tiger cat in the past, and although it cut well, I had considerable trouble with it. Mostly engine related. I have narrowed my choice to a 950M with the deluxe seat and 60" deck. I have an excellent dealer that I use, and he suggested the mulch on demand feature. I do have a good number of trees, so the mulch feature would be helpful in the fall. My question is will the quality of cut be as good as the Scag? Does the mulch on demand feature reduce the quality of cut. I am trading in a 1025R with 60" deck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would buy a 920 or 930 and keep the 1025R.

I will never sell my compact unless I trade up.

Oh, you will love the Ztrak.

Excellent job of mowing, I would add Tweels.

No experience with MOD deck.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Google the MOD deck and see what people are saying about it on forums like lawnsite, they hate it.

Skip the mulch on demand

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
455 Posts
That is a great deal of money ...about $11.500 to pay just to mow three acres, when you could get a 54" deck lawn tractor(rider) and save near $4000.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,152 Posts
I am considering purchasing a new zero turn this spring. I have three acres to mow. I have had a Scag Tiger cat in the past, and although it cut well, I had considerable trouble with it. Mostly engine related. I have narrowed my choice to a 950M with the deluxe seat and 60" deck. I have an excellent dealer that I use, and he suggested the mulch on demand feature. I do have a good number of trees, so the mulch feature would be helpful in the fall. My question is will the quality of cut be as good as the Scag? Does the mulch on demand feature reduce the quality of cut. I am trading in a 1025R with 60" deck.
How old was your Scag.
I know the Z915B does a really nice job compared to our older 2002 Toro Z-Master-150 we had. Actually everything about the the Z915B is far better than the Toro was.

Reactions: wardlake

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
That is a great deal of money ...about $11.500 to pay just to mow three acres, when you could get a 54" deck lawn tractor(rider) and save near $4000.
The ZTR will cut better and faster. I ended up buying a ZTR instead of using my 1025r which has the MMM. So much faster

·
Registered
192 Posts
How old was your Scag.
I know the Z915B does a really nice job compared to our older 2002 Toro Z-Master-150 we had. Actually everything about the the Z915B is far better than the Toro was.
I put 635 hours on a 915B in 3 years. I Mow cemetery's, good machine sold it private and went to the 930M. I like the Kawasaki better.

Had the PTO clutch switch fail one year when I took it out of shed and both front tires failed. All covered by warranty. Never have air in the tires on a lawn mower again.

915B's are now 915E. Same basic machine just new model number.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Scag I owned was purchased new in 2012.
About two weeks after it went out of warranty the coils failed. Then the carb went bad and had to be replaced. Then the starter relay failed along with the ignition switch. None of it was covered by the dealer. It was a solid machine, but I lost confidence in it. I am sold on the 900 series John Deere. They appear to be well built, and I have a very good dealer that is customer oriented. Based on what I am reading here, I am thinking of skipping the mulch on demand, and maybe installing a Powerchute. Does anyone have any experience with one?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,152 Posts
The Scag I owned was purchased new in 2012.
About two weeks after it went out of warranty the coils failed. Then the carb went bad and had to be replaced. Then the starter relay failed along with the ignition switch. None of it was covered by the dealer. It was a solid machine, but I lost confidence in it. I am sold on the 900 series John Deere. They appear to be well built, and I have a very good dealer that is customer oriented. Based on what I am reading here, I am thinking of skipping the mulch on demand, and maybe installing a Powerchute. Does anyone have any experience with one?
I agree with others. :thumbup1gif:
I don't have a power chute but I did add this for fall cleanup...

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/ztrs-commercial-turf-equipment/84593-z915b-discharge-chute-cover.html

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
455 Posts
The ZTR will cut better and faster. I ended up buying a ZTR instead of using my 1025r which has the MMM. So much faster[/Q

psrumors, I would suggest you look into one of these if you want to mow fast. It may also be fun to mow at 50mph and still see the grass clipping flying into the air. Besides, John Deere might offer you a discount if you ever trade it in.

·
Registered
338 Posts
We have four of them at work and they are great machines. We typically put 6-700 hours a year on them. One does have the MOD deck which is nice. They biggest issues I see with it though you have to keep it quite clean to keep everything working nice and smooth. The best feature of it is when you mow around landscape beds we can close it go around them them pop it open when we aren't near them. The best thing you can get for them is the improved seat. We had a couple of 930m models with the basic seat and they will beat you to death! I would say the biggest issues we have had with them is the PTO switches, but they have come out with a new rocker style that seems to be better so far. We run baggers on all of ours too and have been impressed with how well they work. If you don't plan on having a bagger, the 930m may be a option for you, just do not go with the EFI Kohler. We had two machines with them and they were terrible. Very poor power, and many engine issues. One of them was replaced since it locked up on us under warranty, which is another great feature to these mowers.

Good luck

Adam

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to the dealer yesterday and sat on the 950M with the deluxe seat. Wow was that nice! looked at the MOD vs the regular deck.$800 difference. The dealer said the original design had some issues, however the newer decks work better. He said he is starting to sell more MOD to the commercial guys. My landscaping allows me to go around everything with the non discharge side, so that is not a big issue. Leaning toward the regular deck then maybe using a blocking plate for the leaves. Can anyone suggest a blocking plate to use just in the fall. The Powerchute Design is kind of cool.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,152 Posts
I went to the dealer yesterday and sat on the 950M with the deluxe seat. Wow was that nice! looked at the MOD vs the regular deck.$800 difference. The dealer said the original design had some issues, however the newer decks work better. He said he is starting to sell more MOD to the commercial guys. My landscaping allows me to go around everything with the non discharge side, so that is not a big issue. Leaning toward the regular deck then maybe using a blocking plate for the leaves. Can anyone suggest a blocking plate to use just in the fall. The Powerchute Design is kind of cool.
Maybe you missed my post :dunno: ↓↓↓

I agree with others. :thumbup1gif:
I don't have a power chute but I did add this for fall cleanup...

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/ztrs-commercial-turf-equipment/84593-z915b-discharge-chute-cover.html

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
232 Posts
This fall I did extensive research on zeros and ended up with a z930r, on tweels, with a 54 deck. I don't have much time on it, but am very satisfied with my decision. I mow quite a bit, but plan on using the zero for just the fine cutting around the house, the 3520 w/ 72mmm for the regular lawn, and 72rmr for the rough stuff. These zeros are slick little machines, but I still much prefer the comfort of the 3520 on the wide open stuff. I can mow 5/6 mph, and a 72" a pass, I can knock it down fast and not bust my teeth out!

Lawnsite is the forum for all things mowers, and lots of info can be had there. For cut quality, the deere is tough to beat. Also, don't get hung up on a 950, as you can "turn up" a 930 with some parts in the carb and essentially make it a 950. I do like my tweels, but they come with a hefty cost. I mentioned this elsewhere, but keep an eye open for used options,,,, as some great deals can be had on these mowers over the price of new if you have the loot handy.

My only other opinions would be to get the 60'' deck- mine is 54 and is as small as I would want, but I bought used so it is what it is-, skip the mod deck because I believe it is unproven AND unchanged, and get the best seat you can afford. You will need it! LOL!

Good Luck!
-n8

Any chance you can keep you 1025 and swing a zero as well? Having both might be nice...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to Gizmo2 on the cover plate. I actually looked at the video and that would probably work fine for my situation. Lots of good advice here. Helped me to make my decision. Going with the regular 7Iron Pro deck.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm very happy to have a John Deere Ztrak for the past 5 years. I mow 10 acres... about 7-1/2 acres with the Zero Turn, and the 2-1/2 left with the JD 345 54" deck. There are too many flowing bushes, larger trees and the wife's flower beds that the 345 works best there.

I made a trip to my dealer yesterday to get oild, filter, and spark plugs for both mowers. While was there the salesman that I deal with told me he has a set (2) of 24" x 12n12 twells that was removed from a new Z930R last week. He wants $775.00 for the two. I told him I would think about his offer, but, I don't really see any advantage that I would gain by installing the twells. Lot of money to look pretty mowing a lawn.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm very happy to have a John Deere Ztrak for the past 5 years. I mow 10 acres... about 7-1/2 acres with the Zero Turn, and the 2-1/2 left with the JD 345 54" deck. There are too many flowing bushes, larger trees and the wife's flower beds that the 345 works best there.

I made a trip to my dealer yesterday to get oild, filter, and spark plugs for both mowers. While was there the salesman that I deal with told me he has a set (2) of 24" x 12n12 twells that was removed from a new Z930R last week. He wants $775.00 for the two. I told him I would think about his offer, but, I don't really see any advantage that I would gain by installing the twells. Lot of money to look pretty mowing a lawn.

This essentially being my first zero turn- had a club cadet zero that was bought/sold promptly because it was garbage- I can't compare air filled tires to the tweels. That said, they do have a dead feel to them, which isn't a bad thing. Since air is basically a spring, the reaction is a jolt when bumps are hit, whereas the tweels just kinda of mold and blob over contours without the reactionary spring effect. Basically it comes down to cash, and $775 sees like a good deal. If you could offer 650 and snag them, it would be a no brainer.... and even at his asking price, its not like your going to loose much cash if you dont like them.

Also, you dont mention what ztrak you have, and some older A??? models take some work to make tweels fit due to clearance issues, so keep that in mind. Should be OK with E, R, or M.

Oh yea, and the tweels just look cooler too! loL!

·
Registered
455 Posts
This essentially being my first zero turn- had a club cadet zero that was bought/sold promptly because it was garbage- I can't compare air filled tires to the tweels. That said, they do have a dead feel to them, which isn't a bad thing. Since air is basically a spring, the reaction is a jolt when bumps are hit, whereas the tweels just kinda of mold and blob over contours without the reactionary spring effect. Basically it comes down to cash, and $775 sees like a good deal. If you could offer 650 and snag them, it would be a no brainer.... and even at his asking price, its not like your going to loose much cash if you dont like them.

Also, you dont mention what ztrak you have, and some older A??? models take some work to make tweels fit due to clearance issues, so keep that in mind. Should be OK with E, R, or M.

Oh yea, and the tweels just look cooler too! loL!
I have a 2013 Z710A with a 54" deck. Couple years ago I extended the tires out with 2" hub adapters, due to the fact I mow about 1/2 mile of a 25 degree ditch (both sides) and it was sorta tricky with the standard with tires. Now that I have the 2" extended hubs, I don't have that problem.

My Z710A came with 22" tires, and when I did the extended hubs I also bought a set of new 24"x 12n tires and rims for $150.00. This also increase my traction that helps in the ditch mowing. The Z710A has the Tuff Torq1000 cc transmissions, where as the Z900 series have the Tuff Torq 1300cc transmissions. I had to change the mower deck height to meet the 2" added on the tires increase.

I might take your suggestion an offering $650 for the Tweels and put them on ebay for $850 plus shipping.

Here is a picture of the Z710A with the tires extended out the 2".

·
Registered
232 Posts
Fees might make it not such a great deal... I would buy and try. I think you would like them. Much easier ways to make cash...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts