Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is thinking about an X300 just for cutting grass. There is not much level land here in north east Pennsylvania. He is concerned about the K46 hydrostatic standing up to maneuvering around on the hills.

If some of you can pass along some information, I would appreciate it.

Premium Member
When I was shopping for my X500 and doing a lot of forum research, the recommendations for the X300 was to avoid the K46 and if at all possible step-up to the X320 with the K58 transmission. Especially if mowing on hilly property.

Registered
I was looking at the x300 series the other day and I thought that my 155c seemed more robust than the new 300 series, And th茅 100 s茅ries are turning into plastic toys! :thumbsdown:

I hope the k46 on the 300 is at least serviceable, and includes the mfr synthetic oil instead of conventional like the 100 series from the factory. Anyone know what's up?

Super Moderator
Trust me, the X300 is a lot more robust than the 155c. The L-series (LA, D, 100, etc.) have less heavier frames and the steering columns aren't supported near as well as the X300. And the decks are a cut (pun intended) above the L-series or whatever they're called now. Better engines, better quality, heavier frames, etc.

I was looking at the x300 series the other day and I thought that my 155c seemed more robust than the new 300 series, And th茅 100 s茅ries are turning into plastic toys! :thumbsdown:

I hope the k46 on the 300 is at least serviceable, and includes the mfr synthetic oil instead of conventional like the 100 series from the factory. Anyone know what's up?

Registered
Tell him to find a good used lx 266 i still miss mine. Had it ten years still ran great only had to replace the fuel line on it still had the same battery in it when i traded it off.:thumbup1gif:

Registered
Trust me, the X300 is a lot more robust than the 155c. The L-series (LA, D, 100, etc.) have less heavier frames and the steering columns aren't supported near as well as the X300. And the decks are a cut (pun intended) above the L-series or whatever they're called now. Better engines, better quality, heavier frames, etc.
Absolutely spot on.

My point was the new operator stations are all plastic...

You mean the deck paint and prep is better, too? No blistering or peeling? :mocking:

Deere does a good job at blurring the lines over model lines to easily justify moving up to a higher price point. Good or bad, you decide.

Super Moderator
The X series, all of them, are made in the Deere plant in Horicon, Wisconsin. You can see video online of the processes they build them there with. Pretty impressive. The L-series, 100 series, etc. are built in a separate Deere plant in Tennessee. The process they used may not be the same, I'm just not sure as I haven't seen anything on their manufacturing and painting processes.

Registered
300 transmission

Neither the K-46 nor the K-58 Tuff Torq transmissions are serviceable. That does not mean you can't service them, or make them serviceable. I have a K-58 in my X324. I called Tuff Torq and they sent me the drain plugs to make it serviceable, which I plan to do this winter.

Registered
IMHO the x320 would be the minimum, and if really hilly a proper garden tractor like the 500 series might be quite a bit more zippy and less groany on hills.
This is soley based on the x540 I had.

Quite a price jump from 5k to 8k, I realize.

Registered
IMHO the x320 would be the minimum, and if really hilly a proper garden tractor like the 500 series might be quite a bit more zippy and less groany on hills.
This is soley based on the x540 I had.

Quite a price jump from 5k to 8k, I realize.
Well, you might as well step up to an X700 series, and the vicious cycle continues...... I do agree if you got allot of hills, then the 500 would be nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts