Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have two or three projects where an oscillating tool would work really well. Have almost settled on the DEWALT DCS355D1 20V XR described here DEWALT DCS355D1 20V XR Lithium-Ion Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit - Power Oscillating Tools - Amazon.com. I'm already committed to the DeWalt 20v batteries so that helped guide my selection of this kit.

It's kinda pricey though and I wonder if long-term it would be worth the over $200 price for the kit.

Need some guidance from those of you who routinely use an oscillating tool. Don't expect to justify it but would appreciate any advice you can offer.

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
I regularly use a Fein MultiMaster, the original "oscillating" tool, I bought it before the patent ran out so they where the only ones available. I have used a the 20v Dewalt, and if I needed one today I would not hesitate to buy it since I also have the batteries. My neighbor has a Dremel version, and it's weak and under powered compared to the Fein and Dewalt.

ETA: I used some new Bosch Carbide blades this past weekend to cut some nails, holy cow they are awesome!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Have two or three projects where an oscillating tool would work really well. Have almost settled on the DEWALT DCS355D1 20V XR described here DEWALT DCS355D1 20V XR Lithium-Ion Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit - Power Oscillating Tools - Amazon.com. I'm already committed to the DeWalt 20v batteries so that helped guide my selection of this kit.

It's kinda pricey though and I wonder if long-term it would be worth the over $200 price for the kit.

Need some guidance from those of you who routinely use an oscillating tool. Don't expect to justify it but would appreciate any advice you can offer.
My buddy bought one a year ago. After using it while helping him on a home improvement project, I also bought one. Pricey for sure, but worth every penny. We both bought the exact same DeWalt kit you linked in your post. I also bought mine on Amazon and had it in 2 days.
BTW if you already have the batteries, they do sell just the tool for around $100. No kit though.

Get it, I promise you won’t regret it

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I have the Ridgid multi tool, and I absolutely love it. I don't want to try to change your mind on your decision, but the Ridgid version has all sorts of head accessories. From a jig saw to reciprocating saw, drywall router, right angle drill. They are well made and everytime I use it, I appreciate it more.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. you're about to solidify my thinking. Considered the 'tool only' deal but the kit includes a five blade set that sells for $33. With the other kit items the kit price seems reasonable.

No hurry so may look for a Black Friday sale before purchase. Also, I get a discount at Lowe's that brings the kit price down to about $208. That may be worth checking out . . . :hi:

·
Registered
757 Posts
P.S. If this is your first oscillating tool...
Be sure to move the blade back and forth slightly when cutting to keep individual teeth from overheating. If you hold it still, blade life will be very short.

For certain jobs, there's absolutely nothing better than one of these tools!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Don't have Dewalt in vib saws but Rockwell corded instead. As these die, we will be replacing with yellow 20s since we already own a bazillion batteries.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't use mine a ton but use the better Harbor Freight one with the adjustable speeds, works for my uses.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I use a low-grade Mastercraft 20V cordless version. Already killed one within about twenty or so hours of use. On my second one, which seems to be holding up much better. Great for quick, not quite perfect cuts/sanding/etc. Definitely not suited for extended jobs.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Just FYI - if any of you guys are looking for tool "sets", check out Home Depot right now. Some pretty nice "Buy a Set, get some free stuff" offers.

Holiday Combo Kit Offers

I'm kind of locked into Rigid right now. 3 weeks ago I bought a combo 1/2" hammer drill, 1/4" driver set, 2 batteries for $199. Now the special is buy that kit and get a free tool or free battery. Stopped by HD the other day and the manager told me I could just bring in my receipt and get the free tool. :good2:

The offer includes Dewalt, Ryobi, Rigid and other brands.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts

We have the same DeWalt tool. I would not be without one now.
We use it more than I would have ever thought. I did give up on the wood only blades, I stay with the metal/wood blades.
https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tools-equipment/107162-dewalt-power-tool-review-thread-3.html#post1734042

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of good information here . . . much appreciated!

I gather that the Bosch Carbide blades last longer, do more than some others. Is a special adapter required to use the Bosch blades on a Dewalt oscillating tool?

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
The blades are all universal fit now, so you shouldn't need any adapters.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll throw in my $.02 & agree with the prevailing opinion about oscillating tools. I bought a corded one to try (Performax brand from Menard's IIRC) when we remodeled our bathroom & added a half bath a few years back. I ended up using it a lot more than I ever thought I would just on that project alone. The next year I invested in a set of Milwaukee Fuel 18V cordless tools. At the time Home Depot had a deal like mark02tj linked to where I could add on the bare Milwaukee 18V oscillating tool for free with the drill/driver combo I bought so I got it. The cordless oscillating tool is a nice little tool that works really well for a lot of odd little cutting & scraping jobs. It's easy to grab & go compared to some other options for whatever I may be trying to do. I think you'll be happy with whatever choice you make, but Dewalt cordless tools are definitely a good choice if you go that route. Milwaukee & Dewalt were the final two in the running when I decided to upgrade my 10+ year old cheap Black & Decker NiCad cordless tool set & invest in a heavier duty set of Lithium cordless tools. I gave the corded oscillating tool to my dad after I got the cordless & as far as I know it's still going for him.

·
Registered
306 Posts
^^^ I also have the Milwaukee fuel 18volt multitool. I didn’t get the kit as I already have to many batteries and chargers. They seem like a niche tool which they can be but I use mine often. With the right blade it has more than enough power to cut through a 2x4

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think I have the Porter Cable corded version, good tool for special occasions. We just completed a five month long remodeling and addition project and I got to observe all of the trades at work and learned quite a bit. My plumber used an oscillating tool to cut some drywall, I asked him why that instead of a stab hand saw and he said it makes less mess.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts

I have that kit and love it. It always comes in handy when I can't get a sawzall in a location due to not wanting to punch the blade through the backside. I've used it to trim door jambs when laying new flooring. It's been used to trim sheetrock when the wall wasn't of the strongest nature and the coarse teeth on a drywall hand saw would fracture it. It does wonderful plunge work on all materials. I don't use it as often as a drill or driver or miter saw but it's a nice tool in my inventory. There are other functions for it as well such as scraping and sanding...i just haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
We use Bosch titanium blades exclusively and although expensive, they cut damn near anything and last longer than a anything we've tried. The trick to a vib saw is knowing its limitations and using it like a hacksaw as opposed to a stationary cutter. It will cut nails and mild steel screws if used correctly. If the saw is held in one position, it will knock the teeth off, titanium or not.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
We use Bosch titanium blades exclusively and although expensive, they cut damn near anything and last longer than a anything we've tried. The trick to a vib saw is knowing its limitations and using it like a hacksaw as opposed to a stationary cutter. It will cut nails and mild steel screws if used correctly. If the saw is held in one position, it will knock the teeth off, titanium or not.
Fozsey, Have tried the HF blades?

Pressure is not your friend when using an oscillating tool.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Fozsey, Have tried the HF blades?

Pressure is not your friend when using an oscillating tool.
First off, I need to correct my above post. It appears I lied. I ran out and grabbed a handful of blades and they are Imperial titanium, not Bosch. The Bosch blade in the pic is carbide and I can't remember ever even using it. We've tried lots of different blades over the years from many manufacturers but have had the best luck with these. They come in 3 packs. I know, years ago, we used wood blades but hitting one hidden nail or staple would reduce them to a scraper, at best. These cut through wood nearly as fast as a dedicated wood blade and survive nail attacks. Ill look into HF but we discovered quality sawblades are one area that is money well spent.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts