Green Tractor Talk banner

Need advice - what to look for/what damage to expect.

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Treefarmer 
#1 ·
Ok. Got a problem with a hand me down Kubota mower and need advice as to what the issue is likely to be/what to look for.

I am by no means an expert on all things mechanical. I know enough to do routine maintnance (or YouTube a video or 2 when needed or how to find a manual online), but this one is outside of my level of skill likely.

The problem: Family member decides to hand keys to a Kubota riding mower to what can only be described as an idiot. User decides to try and mow a 4 foot tall hayfield grass with a 20 hp rider !! As if this isn't bad enough - it begins to smoke, so whats the logical thing to do....of course, GO FASTER BEFORE IT CAN QUIT!!!

Come home to a mower sitting out and get the "I dont know whats wrong" - was supposed to have taken it to shop...find out today it was just shoved to back of the garage and forgotten until today and got the whole story.

So, what I do know...its a diesel, and was smoking heavily. They checked coolant at some point and said it was bone dry.

Based on this - Im guessing I'll be looking at a rebuild. No way that engine survived this unscathed. Rings, sleeve, gasket and check the water pump (possible rebuild/replace). Anything else I should expect? Parts look to be around $800...and I figure same for labor at local shop.

At $1600, I think the repair/replace benefit is still favorable...but much beyond $2500 it gets murkier. Could also hope to get it running again cheap to dump it I guess...but non running to me I wouldnt expect any return. Checked for used engine...looking at 1800 plus shipping - no guarantee.

Anything else to be aware of?

Oh yea, no - "Never loan your equipment replies" - Im well aware of this...this was a borrowed without permission type of deal. Actually explicit "Do not touch" and they ignored it. I hate having family that is HARD on equipment...even worse when you try to buy and keep higher quality stuff. As much as I'd love a lock on everything...its just a waste. They lie behind my back - find an excuse and get the spare key. I've been down this road before.

I am actually HOPING moron destroyed the coolant hose or something...if thats the case, I can try and argue it to insurance. Sad running over something is BEST case....if its just common "never checked the fluids" then im SOL...but accidental damage I have coverage.

See less See more
#2 ·
:(..is about all I can say....rules and such prevent the rest.

What sort of diesel? This must be a 2cyl to be in the 20hp range.

I wouldn't call it dead yet...Their tough.

don't loan ,don't borrow.....this is how I obtained my personal fleet.
Took many years of many payments...all Mine.
Not cheap...but peace of mind has a price.

#3 ·
I don't know what you've tried but I'd fill it up with coolant, check and add oil if necessary and see it it will start. If by chance it will run, you've got a better chance to diagnose it without tearing it down first.

Of course, there's also the compression and vacuum tests which would tell you if the rings/valves are blown. It's a bit trickier to get those with a diesel since there's no spark plug hole to screw the gauge into.

Treefarmer

#5 ·
I don't know what you've tried but I'd fill it up with coolant, check and add oil if necessary and see it it will start. If by chance it will run, you've got a better chance to diagnose it without tearing it down first.
Agree.
And add a battery cutoff or pull a fuse or something to keep them from starting it and burning up the starter when it doesn’t.

#4 ·
I would bet that little diesel has glow plugs. Harbor Freight has compression testers that are reasonably priced and I’m sure there’s an adapter to go into a glow plug hole. Small diesels are tough. I’ve had several Yanmars run for thousands of hours after going under water running. Basically they stopped when the cylinders got full. I would try to save it.

#7 ·
I see no upside to keeping the peace when it leaves you miserable. There is no upside to that. Happy wife=happy life does not apply. 1-I wouldn’t have spare keys if they just get them. 2-If the behavior continues I’d get police involved. It may be family but if they don’t have any respect for that same bond you’re better off without them. They should get more patience then Joe Schmo but that’s not a free pass to constantly abuse the relationship without consequences. Some refer to it as tough love.

#8 ·
I had this same conversation both with Dad and my brother.

It was a simple conversation with Dad. This is my equipment and this is how it will be operated, period. That was your rule when I started to operate your equipment and it is my rule with my equipment. He had no argument.

My brother on the other hand, doesn't get to use much of anything I have other than a crowbar or a hammer. He is hard on everything. He asked once to borrow my chainsaw. Sure, no problem. It is a $500 saw. Give me $500 and you can have the saw. If you return it in the same condition you got it, you'll get your $500 back. If not, you own another broken chainsaw. Ok, when can you come help me cut up a tree that fell...... I'll see you on Saturday.

#9 ·
Thanks, plan is replace all fluids and physically look it over - try to get it started and if it will run a tad and watch carefully.

Best case, it runs and doesnt smoke too badly - may signal time to sell and upgrade in spring when buyers are plentiful.

As to dealing with moron family members...its just not worth it. Seriously - Ive been down this road before...we have done everything possible. Selling it all and walking away has been discussed...I just hate selling over someone elses stupidity.

#11 ·
Good luck with the mower and prayers for patience dealing with the family. My brother runs any equipment that I have but will ask before hand even though he knows it's ok. I have a brother in law that fortunately lives some distance away. I wouldn't want him to run anything. It's tough with family but I like the idea of a cut off switch hidden where it's hard to find. I've never seen one but I'd bet there are wireless switches that require a code to be entered. If they aren't available, I just gave away a great idea.

Treefarmer

#12 ·
No idea if a wireless "cut off" exist, but agree its a great idea.

I seeiously am going to look into this on all the stuff I have down there.

Tough situation to explain, but basically family property I inherited. Of course with a sibling - its hard to evenly divide property. I offered to simply split 50/50 (knowibg there was no way possible to either be bought out by other side) and actually got turned down.

They wanted half the land 100%, and gave up nicer half with a home. Somehow before the transfer was complete talked parent into allowing use of the home on my side. So now Im left to deal with an unwanted tennant who pays nothing - but wont leave. If I say get out - I then have an elderly parent who "gifted" the property to me upset. And oh yeah...I am of course half on everything else too - so create a rift, and I then have a whole lot bigger problem on the horizon.

Sometimes its just "cheaper" to live with others stupidity until you can get out of a situation in a better financial position. If it wasnt divorce would probably be even more prevelant. Still, absolutely maddening to deal with this crap. I'm doing best I can, thought being I am too busy with a full time job and life to play part time farmer. I am just trying to keep things up, clean and working until the time comes that I can either return or I have to pass it off to the next generation. Trying to keep things self sufficient so that it pays for itself from rental and other incomes.

Still not an easy task when every other month it feels like I get a text complaining "stupid POS broke"....it's always the equipments fault too...never user misuse/error. At least I can count myself lucky...its been a year since the "mysterious dissaperances" stopped.

#13 ·
That's a tough position. I share some property with my siblings but my sister lives out of the area and I have no issues with my brother using my stuff. If it breaks while he is on it, it probably was not operator error.

I understand all too well about just trying to keep things going while you are working full time. That's the real reason I'm looking at retirement- there are too many things that have gotten neglected and I hope to get some of them done in retirement. Unfortunately, the closer I get to retirement the more the "tired" part of retirement is showing up. I simply can't do 12-14 hours of physical work any more, at least not with any regularity. Still the hope is there that if I'm not working 50-60 hours on a job, I'll get at least some of the farm stuff done.

I feel for you with siblings breaking your stuff and then complaining about it. At worst, they should be embarrassed and offer to pay for repairs. At best, they wouldn't break it in the first place.

Treefarmer

Reactions: BigJim55
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.