Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a x495 with 22hp yanmar diesel 2011. Hours unknown, and one piston and rings had to be replaced. Piston and rings was sold together from John Deere. Price is $2,800. Tractor condition is excellent, no cracks, dents, etc. Your thought on reason engine needed work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
Hours unknown - that would give me pause. Before anything else I would want to know the hours. If low would need to find the reason for a catastrophic failure like this.

Now - I looked up the piston on Deere parts and come up with AM882426 for the piston and rings and a price of $150.59. Where is this price of $2800 coming from?

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
That is he price for he entire tractor.

OK - makes more sense!

Some others will have to chime in on the value of the tractor. But I would still insist on knowing the hours. These Yanmar diesels are about bullet proof - would try very hard to find out what happened.

With that said - I replaced the piston rings along with other neccessary goods on a Yanmar diesel years ago. I had no idea what I was doing (and no internet to seek help then) and did fine. It’s not the replacing or the parts that would bother me - it’s what else you may find wrong once you dig into it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It runs and cuts great now. Haven’t heard myself, but that is what owners said.

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
It runs and cuts great now. Haven’t heard myself, but that is what owners said.

I misunderstood your original post. I see the piston/rings were already replaced and runs great now.

I will bow out and let those who can help you with value respond.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have bought a X495 and two X595's that had bad hour meters. The LCD hourmeter is built-in to the instrument cluster and would cost around $ 800 for a new cluster. So that is why about 50% of used X-Series tractors hourmeters do not work.

I have owned a 332 with the 16 hp Yanmar, six 455's with the 22 hp Yamnar and three X-Series tractors with the 24 hp Yanmars. I have NEVER had any engine problems with any of them.

Is the tractor at a dealership? They might be able to provide some details.

George of Buford

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
To me if your going to go through the trouble to tear into an engine,new gaskets and such why would you change one piston and rings.Whatever happen to one could happen to the others.Sounds like a ticking time bomb.There's others out there I'd pass on this one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
To me if your going to go through the trouble to tear into an engine,new gaskets and such why would you change one piston and rings.Whatever happen to one could happen to the others.Sounds like a ticking time bomb.There's others out there I'd pass on this one.
I also thought it was odd that only one piston was changed. May have been low compression, bad ring. I do not think the compression would be even between all three cylinders. The JD spec is a maximum of 36 psi difference between all three cylinders. I would have at least honed the other cylinders and put in new rings in all of them. YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW THE ENGINE HOURS TO MAKE A GOOD DECISION. I would pass on this one.

George of Buford

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point. I believe I’m going to pass. I would rather pay more and know that the engine has never been cracked open, and 1/2 way worked on.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Good point. I believe I’m going to pass. I would rather pay more and know that the engine has never been cracked open, and 1/2 way worked on.

I would think the owner should know what happened to the engine. Ask!!!!! If he wants to sell it, he should give your the info you want to know. Do you know what year it is?

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would think the owner should know what happened to the engine. Ask!!!!! If he wants to sell it, he should give your the info you want to know. Do you know what year it is?
The owner apparently traded it in at a small buy/sale/repair shop. The shop is now the owner and seller. They seem to have a lot of “ I don’t know answers.” At this point, I’m going to pass. I have enough of trust to listen to the wiser gentleman on this board.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
The owner apparently traded it in at a small buy/sale/repair shop. The shop is now the owner and seller. They seem to have a lot of “ I don’t know answers.” At this point, I’m going to pass. I have enough of trust to listen to the wiser gentleman on this board.

Got it. Good choice!!

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Excellent condition 2011 X495 for 2,800? If you weren't in Alabama, I'd tell you not to get it and then try to find the listing for myself. :)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Why is it so hard to walk away from something sometimes??? It it that, “I can fix it” mentally? Hahaha.

I almost never walk away,, but, the only thing that gets my interest is a great deal to start with,,

That GT would have to be about $1,500 or less to get my initial interest,,
then, I would waste enough energy to get myself to buy it,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Really??

Well considering that they were only made from 2002-2005, this 2011 X495 is an extra-dimensional artifact and is probably worth billions. :)

But yes. I see X495s and X595s for sale all the time in the 3,000-6,000 range. Sometimes more. None are in good condition. They look and run like crap.

So assuming the "2011" part was a typo or other mistake, if it looks great and runs great, I would buy it. If I hadn't just bought an X590 that is. Take the other 3K you would normally have spend on it and put it in a jar called "X495 Repair bills."

·
Registered
113 Posts
I guess the purchase decision is an individual thing and in my case depending on skill set. Was looking for my first diesel, I'm not a mechanic, 60 years old and am not looking to work on a diesel engine. Basic maintenance, repairs I can handle. Started looking at 455's, then X495's most with broken hour meters. Finally ended up about doubling initial budget (thank you sweet wife) and ended the search with a 280 hour 2012 X740 w/ 7 Iron deck last July. Wasn't a steal ($7.000 if your wondering) but it's a great running machine. Had a very knowledgeable, older JD mechanic adjust the valves and he thought the machine was in great condition. Figure this is a lifetime machine for me... we'll see?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

The BS meter on this is in the red. The price is great if it was repaired correctly. The amnesia factor certainly smells of rotten fish. I would shoot them a low ball offer fully expecting a catastrophic engine failure but I enjoy a challenge. I wouldn't buy it with the expectation that it'll be trouble free.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts