Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I have a 98 345 which would be like a x580/x590 today.Power steering and hydro lift is great and I wouldn't be without it.Remember you'll get older not younger,my dad upgraded to power steering power lift and he wonders why he didn't do it sooner.
A x580 with a 48" deck and hdap's wold be fine for your yard.I have the hdap's on the 345 and x595 and have no issues with them tearing up the lawn.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree, Sulley. This was the first lawn tractor I had with power steering. I fell in love. Can turn it with one finger. It’s definitely one of those things you don’t know you are missing til you try it. But, I have a big yard. My property is 7 acres, roughly 2.5 to 3 gets mowed. These machines last a long time, get what makes the job easier. Everyone regrets one thing or another. I wish I would have went for a X7 series with a diesel. I would love to have a one fuel setup. I also think the X5 and X7 gas engines are thirsty. I use 5 gallons each mow. Point being, try it out. Don’t shrug off the little things. They do matter.
I totally agree with Yank. Wish I would have gone with the diesel in either the X7xx series or the 1025. My gas x730 sure likes its gas also cutting about 5 acres a week and 5 gal/wk. Love the power steering, my arms used to hurt after I was done using the MIL's x300 and 42" deck.

·
Premium Member
12,174 Posts
I totally agree with Yank. Wish I would have gone with the diesel in either the X7xx series or the 1025. My gas x730 sure likes its gas also cutting about 5 acres a week and 5 gal/wk. Love the power steering, my arms used to hurt after I was done using the MIL's x300 and 42" deck.
Keep in mind that the OP only has 0.3 acres. He would also like to use a sprayer and aerator. So even a X380 is over kill. I doubt very much that his arms will get sore mowing 0.3 acres with manual steering. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
I use the "suicide knob" (what my grandpa always called it on his old "Super "M", which is a suicide machine with the front wheels that close together, but boy did I learn to spin that knob when raking hay with the Super M as a 12 year old....) on my tractors and honestly, I only touch the steering wheel on my 1025R when getting in and out of the cab. Otherwise, the power steering and the spinner knob make operating that machine a breeze.......

Since 1996, I have (had) been mowing with my 455 which I purchased new, which is diesel fuel miser. My lawn is about 88,000 sq feet of mowing and that 455 would burn between 2 quarts to 3 quarts of fuel per hour. I had the cut quality just where I liked it and was very happy. But the tractor now has about 2,700 hours on it and it started to need a little this and a little that (Hydro rebuild and seal replacement no "hard parts" other than the PTO clutch) and a little issue here and a small drip there.

But this summer, the power steering cylinder failed and was losing fluid to the point I was afraid to start the machine. Turned out that Deere is "resourcing" the manufacture of that cylinder and suddenly, there were none to be found anywhere. My dealer even did the national "Machine Down" search and found nothing......anywhere. Even third party sellers who buy out bulk parts inventory had nothing. There were some which could be "made to work", but they were a compromise and I didn't want it cobbled together after spending $300 for something "close".

I went through the whole process of possibly rebuilding it but most shops that rebuild hydraulic cylinders wouldn't touch this one because its (1.) a steering cylinder and (2.) because it's welded and not a threaded cylinder. And believe me, I searched and searched.

Long story short, I bought a new Zero Turn because my buddy who owns a local small engine shop dropped off his "ExMark Lazer Z" demo for me to use.......He knew how to set the hook........:bigthumb:

I really like the cut quality of the ExMark and the ride and efficiency. I don't drive it near as fast as it will go as I want a really nice cut, not maximum speed. So, overall, I am very pleased with the ExMark and the job it does. But man, does that thing drink gasoline.

I actually had to go out and purchase (3) new 5 gallon gas cans (with the sucky EPA spouts on them :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: )as I purchase gasoline at 20 gallons per time because I mow a total of about 6 acres in 3 lawns........Plus my zero turn holds 12 gallons of gas........Now I know why the tank is so large.....:laugh::lol:

As far as the OP commenting about his yard only being 15,000 sq feet of grass, there is a guy in town who bought a 1025R with the 54" deck and FEL to mow his yard which was even smaller.......Sometimes "it's not how large the yard is, it's how well you can mow it".........and look great doing it......(a takeoff on Deere's marketing slogan from this summer).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Since it is a second home, if I read correctly, and it's a small yard, I would go with something used. An old 318, 345, 425 would be more than adequate. If you search around you can find a solid runner plus you can still get most parts. The 318 is a little tough on the Onan parts but they are out there, just have to look.

I know folks like bag on the 100, D, or S level series but....my MIL has about 1.5 acre yard and she used an L120 for 6-7 seasons on it with no issues. She stopped using it last year because she turned 90 and can't handle the summer VA heat. Her lot is flat though, but I suspect the mower will handle a slope like that for many seasons.

If you get a used 100 series and you get 4-5 seasons out it then I think it's a worthwhile investment. If you really want to upgrade you can't go wrong with a 318. Very solid tough tractor. If you keep up on the maintenance it will probably out last you.

To me a X5xx series is a lot of tractor for 1/3 acre. I used to use a craftsman RER when I had a 1/3 of acre lot, worked just fine. I couldn't kill that mower, just had to put a new battery in it every spring.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Keep in mind that the OP only has 0.3 acres. He would also like to use a sprayer and aerator. So even a X380 is over kill. I doubt very much that his arms will get sore mowing 0.3 acres with manual steering. :dunno:
This is best post in this entire thread- always easy to spend others money. .3 acres 2nd home, we are talking 20 hours a year Max- a D130 would last 15 years at least. You want to shoot the moon a X380 ..unless you like wasting money stay away from x5xx series and since its a 2nd home I'd stay away from used unless its relatively new. And Oh yeah take the 4 Grand I just saved you and take wife on nice vacation!!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
One last thing to consider, is all wheel steering (AWS). Some swear by it and other's swear at it. Its designed for very tight turning radius's and for achieving mowing around trees and other obstacles and minimizing the string trimming. AWS requires power steering which is included on many of the tractors.
:
This. When I worked at a retirement home they had just gotten a JD425 with all wheel steering.

Everyone else hated the thing. So it was given to me as I was the new guy.

Took me about 5 minutes to get used to it and I loved it. We had lots of obstacles to mow around and the turning radius on this thing cut way down on my trimming.

I’d much rather sit on a tractor then carry a string trimmer around for a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
12,174 Posts
I’d much rather sit on a tractor then carry a string trimmer around for a day.
Why not do both? I have an electric string trimmer and I sometimes ride the tractor around and run the trimmer right from the seat. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
It is easy to spend other's money, but it is also very easy to be so frugal with your own that you end up regretting your purchase for years to come.

Based on your original post, a E100 series (replaces D100 series) would most likely fit the bill, but may be questionable on the slope you mentioned when dragging a weighted down aerator. Your plans indicate that you will be doing simple lawn maintenance, so needing something heavy duty to push a snowplow or blower (you're in Florida anyway), or pull ground engaging equipment would be overkill. I may be wrong, just my opinion.

To make the best choice, write down all the activities you plan on doing with the tractor. Then write down all the things you might do in the future. You say this is a second property, what is the yard like at your primary, is it feasible to use the machine at both? Go to the Deere website and start reading the specs and features.

When I was getting ready to make my purchase, I was replacing a Craftsman DLT3000, a great machine for when we lived in a subdivision, but barely fit my needs when we moved to the mountains. I made my lists and when I looked at the shortcomings of the DLT3000 and the things I would like to do with the new machine, I ended up in the x500 series. I have an uphill gravel driveway that requires work to keep it in shape, so the diff lock and sleeve hitch capability were a must.

Could I have gotten away with just a D100 series at the time? Yes, but i would have been in the same boat as I was with the DLT3000. Could I have plowed my driveway? Yes, but as before, I would have had to go only downhill, turn around, drive through the cleared area and go back down again. Could I maintain my driveway with a 100? Yes, If I felt like hand raking gravel, shoveling it into a cart, then trying to haul it uphill so I could dump and spread it by hand.

I'm getting old and have several health issues, so getting a machine that could do the work for me was a must. I almost bought a x570 because I thought that fit my needs, but upon review of some additional details I ended up with the x580. To get the 570 to do things I wanted to do, it was going to require optional items that were standard on the 580. I needed front weight ability, tack on 70 bucks for a front bracket on the 570. I wanted to get a snowblower, well, tack on another $450 for the recommended electric assist. With those 2 things i was within spitting distance of the cost of the 580.

Then I started looking over the x700 series, the additional cost for items that I most likely would never use did not cut it. I have no need for rear PTO or 3 Pt hitch. Shaft drive, nice but I have lived with belt drive for years without major issue. Tilt steering, armrest and other perks, naw, it's a tractor.

So I ended up with the x580, it fits all the needs for MY PARTICULAR scenario. Take a good hard look at what YOU want to do with the tractor, and then only YOU can make the best decision. When you have made that decision, let's us know what you plan on and members will provide feedback on how that particular model has treated them and what they wish they had after buying it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Everyone has given me a lot to think about. This house will be our permanent house in about a year and being in Florida we get rain once a day from late May until October. My point is the grass can usually be wet and can used cutting twice a week. That’s why I wasn’t sure if the x380 would be enough even though I have a fairly small lawn for a tractor. Also can you really use a core aerator with this tractor, will the transmission be able to handle it? If I don’t have to spend the extra money on a larger machine that will work for me.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Everyone has given me a lot to think about. This house will be our permanent house in about a year and being in Florida we get rain once a day from late May until October. My point is the grass can usually be wet and can used cutting twice a week. That’s why I wasn’t sure if the x380 would be enough even though I have a fairly small lawn for a tractor. Also can you really use a core aerator with this tractor, will the transmission be able to handle it? If I don’t have to spend the extra money on a larger machine that will work for me.
Pulling an attachment like that I'd recommend a X500 series. They are rated for ground engaging attachments. The transmission is the weakest link on the lesser tractors. You can also equip them with a rear sleeve hitch.

5 biggest features that sold me are.

Diff lock pedal. That orange button just sits on the foot board taking up space. Until you need it. Then it's the best thing since sliced bread. Can't tell you how many times it saved me from getting stuck.

HDAP rear tires. Work so much better than turfs for everything.

Power steering and implement lift. I have many health problems so it's worth it's weight in gold. Almost as good as having a zero turn but without ones limitations. (Pretty must only good for cutting grass)

The comfortable tall boy seat vs the lower 2 piece that comes on the lower models. (Older X540's came with the smaller seat)

Last but not least liquid cooling. Seeing you intend to use the tractor in Florida. It's way cooler on your legs and feet in hot weather. Unfortunately it was only available on the X540 and the last year for them was 2014. Now you have to get a X700 series to get that feature. You can probably find a good used one in your area. This would also make the price a little cheaper.

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
The dealers have shown me more worn out "D" Series mowers than I have ever seen of anything else. Often with just a few hundred hours (200 to 400 hours) on them and they are shot. If you look at the ownership of any mower or lawn tractor and consider it's life expectancy and useful life when you are done with it, it comes down to money spent per hour used, less it's remaining value.

The entry mowers like the "D" and "S" are kept at a price point to encourage people to "try" the brand. If the person uses that purchase as a stepping stone into a larger unit, then the marketing worked, but when the entry level purchase let's the people down or wears out in a few hundred hours, then it leaves a bad taste in the owners mouth and may just send them to another brand.

When I mean "Worn out" I mean steering loose, spindles shot, plastic transmission on it's last legs, deck spindles worn out..........Drive around behind any large Deere dealer and you will see an area where all the "dead" lawn equipment is kept before being sent to the scrap yard or sold to those who part them out and sell the used pieces. It's amazing and predictable how many of the machines are less than 5 years old, because they are the very entry level machines.

Of course, there will always be the few people who really take care of their equipment and it lasts and lasts, but they are the exception and not the rule. Most people climb on their mower, turn the key, use it and put it away. When you are looking at the new equipment, ask the dealer how many "D" and "S" model units he takes on trade. Also ask him what they are worth in a year or three after purchase. I can already tell you what his answers will be........He prefers to not take them on trade and the reason is because used, they don't have a great deal of value and the dealer doesn't want to sell used "D" and "S' models as they know as time passes, there will likely be issues.

My neighbor, who is a great guy and an engineer, bought a D160 a couple of years ago and each spring, I pick up the oil change service kit at the dealer and either help him service it or end up doing it myself. But the truth is also that I often end up just mowing his lawn when I mow mine because he is busy and has two young boys.

In fact, this year, he only owed his yard 5 times all season, I did it the rest of the time. His 3 year old D160 has about 50 hours on it and his lawn takes about 1.5 hours to mow as it's about 45,000 sq feet. So, in If he had to actually mow every week since he purchased it, the machine would have 30 weeks per year, 1.5 hours per week and three years, so he would have about 130 hours on it now. Instead, he has about 50. So his mower will last several more years at that rate of use, or unless he moves (or I guess I die:dunno:) and has to actually mow his own yard all of the time......:laugh:

I also plow his driveway for him and do his leaf cleanup as I have all the equipment and I don't mind. He stores my motorcycles in his 3rd stall of the garage during the winter, so we help one another....

Also ask the dealer if they deal with more people who UNDER purchase and end up trading up or selling and buying another, which is expensive, or does the dealer see people who OVER purchase equipment and regret it. I would bet money the answer is going to be people UNDER purchase and end up spending money to get what they really needed / wanted when they started the process.

Bottom line is a good lawn tractor is an INVESTMENT in equipment. It should be something that when you are done with it, should have value to be sold to someone else, who will also get use and enjoy it. Good used Deere lawn tractors hold their value. Most entry level mowers do not.........

And as H-D Dealer dude said, if you are pulling a aerator or ground engaging implement, get a LAWN TRACTOR and not a mower.............If the mower has a little metal tab on the rear of it with a hole in it, it's not designed to pull ground engaging implements. It's designed to pull the plastic cart with a bag of mulch or the grand kids in it.........or the grand kids under the mulch if you want.......:laugh::lol:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The dealers have shown me more worn out "D" Series mowers than I have ever seen of anything else. Often with just a few hundred hours (200 to 400 hours) on them and they are shot. If you look at the ownership of any mower or lawn tractor and consider it's life expectancy and useful life when you are done with it, it comes down to money spent per hour used, less it's remaining value.

The entry mowers like the "D" and "S" are kept at a price point to encourage people to "try" the brand. If the person uses that purchase as a stepping stone into a larger unit, then the marketing worked, but when the entry level purchase let's the people down or wears out in a few hundred hours, then it leaves a bad taste in the owners mouth and may just send them to another brand.

When I mean "Worn out" I mean steering loose, spindles shot, plastic transmission on it's last legs, deck spindles worn out..........Drive around behind any large Deere dealer and you will see an area where all the "dead" lawn equipment is kept before being sent to the scrap yard or sold to those who part them out and sell the used pieces. It's amazing and predictable how many of the machines are less than 5 years old, because they are the very entry level machines.

Of course, there will always be the few people who really take care of their equipment and it lasts and lasts, but they are the exception and not the rule. Most people climb on their mower, turn the key, use it and put it away. When you are looking at the new equipment, ask the dealer how many "D" and "S" model units he takes on trade. Also ask him what they are worth in a year or three after purchase. I can already tell you what his answers will be........He prefers to not take them on trade and the reason is because used, they don't have a great deal of value and the dealer doesn't want to sell used "D" and "S' models as they know as time passes, there will likely be issues.

My neighbor, who is a great guy and an engineer, bought a D160 a couple of years ago and each spring, I pick up the oil change service kit at the dealer and either help him service it or end up doing it myself. But the truth is also that I often end up just mowing his lawn when I mow mine because he is busy and has two young boys.

In fact, this year, he only owed his yard 5 times all season, I did it the rest of the time. His 3 year old D160 has about 50 hours on it and his lawn takes about 1.5 hours to mow as it's about 45,000 sq feet. So, in If he had to actually mow every week since he purchased it, the machine would have 30 weeks per year, 1.5 hours per week and three years, so he would have about 130 hours on it now. Instead, he has about 50. So his mower will last several more years at that rate of use, or unless he moves (or I guess I die:dunno:) and has to actually mow his own yard all of the time......:laugh:

I also plow his driveway for him and do his leaf cleanup as I have all the equipment and I don't mind. He stores my motorcycles in his 3rd stall of the garage during the winter, so we help one another....

Also ask the dealer if they deal with more people who UNDER purchase and end up trading up or selling and buying another, which is expensive, or does the dealer see people who OVER purchase equipment and regret it. I would bet money the answer is going to be people UNDER purchase and end up spending money to get what they really needed / wanted when they started the process.

Bottom line is a good lawn tractor is an INVESTMENT in equipment. It should be something that when you are done with it, should have value to be sold to someone else, who will also get use and enjoy it. Good used Deere lawn tractors hold their value. Most entry level mowers do not.........

And as H-D Dealer dude said, if you are pulling a aerator or ground engaging implement, get a LAWN TRACTOR and not a mower.............If the mower has a little metal tab on the rear of it with a hole in it, it's not designed to pull ground engaging implements. It's designed to pull the plastic cart with a bag of mulch or the grand kids in it.........or the grand kids under the mulch if you want.......:laugh::lol:
The X5xx and up are usually considered garden tractors.
The X3xx and down are considered lawn tractors.

Some other manufacturers sell yard tractors. They would fall in between the garden and lawn models.

Like was stated above. You are better off getting a bigger tractor than what you need. However it doesn't mean that you need to go nuts.
The tractor will last longer if you are not beating it every time you need to work it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
For me as I got older was the mower deck. How easy is it to remove and put back on. That's why I think this drive over deck is the best thing that has ever been done for whatever type of tractor you get. With the 425AWS I had I got tired of unhooking everything, turning the wheels in one direction and pulling the deck out the side. The 2210 was the same way only I ended up unhooking everything and then using a chain hoist to lift the front end and sliding the deck out from the front. Reverse to hook it back up. Didn't have to turn the deck wheels either doing it this way. If you're young, 10 feet tall and bullet proof it doesn't matter. But no matter what you do, time will NOT stand still and you won't stay young, 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Like was said earlier, think of ALL that you will to do and what you want to do. Figure out what piece of equipment will do it and what size...then get one at least one size bigger. Ten years from now you won't even think about how you got one that was too big. You'll probably think about how you wish you would have gone bigger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
X590 54" mower, 48" plow, Johnny Bucket, Tow behind sprayer, de-thatcher,

Last year I purchased my JD X590, 54" deck, 48" snow plow, and just ordered my Johnny Bucket loader for it. I absolutely love the tractor. It cuts my lawn great, I plow my driveway with a slight slope, and my neighbors driveway with a large slope, weights, no chains. A real beast in the snow.

In the summer I attach my home made sprayer attached to a blue poly 55 gallon drum, and a battery jump box. I spray all my trees, bushes in times of no rain.

I made a reese hitch setup, and move my 17' center console boat around no problem, along with my landscape trailer. The power steering is great. Once you have the power steering you'll never go without it. The Hydro trans, and deck is also great.

I've ordered my Johnny Bucket Jr. for some spreading of soil around the yard.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Did you get one????? Still looking??? :munch:
They have $500 off x5xx this month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I did take advantage of the $500 off plus got a matching $500 from the dealer. My new x570 should arrive at the dealer in about a week. Also got the 25 gal mounted sprayer. Looking forward to spending time on my new toy.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
One other question does anyone use a tow behind core aerator and if so what brand has been reliable.
Basically the Deere and Brinly are the same (Brinly makes the Deere) so look at that.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts