Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Long time lurker; first post. Thanks for you all your advice. I need some guidance here.

One year old 1025R with 60D auto connect deck. While mowing today I noticed some rattling, disengaged the mower and it went away. Mower would not engage again. I saw that the mid-PTO would spin fine when engaged but the mower deck would not turn the blades. Took the deck off and discovered that the input shaft on the mower deck gearbox was loose. I could slide it forwards and backwards. When slide back to the gearbox, it spun freely.When pulled out, it seems to lock into place on the shaft inside and it would turn the gearbox as normal. This indicates to me that the gearbox is OK.

Can anyone advise what happened and what can be done to fix it? Hoping it's an easy fix. Am I missing a washer or did the input shaft become loose? How do I tighten it?

Thanks in advance.

Nate

·
Registered
967 Posts
Gearbox is most probably Toast. "Should" always check it for Gear Oil. New Box is roughly $500+.... Ask me how I know. Somewhat of a bummer. The Input shaft coupler is EZ to take off but, the Downward facing pully is somewhat of a booger. Remember, the Bolt holding the pully on is "REVERSE" threaded.

Reactions: Levi and nateonator

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gearbox is most probably Toast. "Should" always check it for Gear Oil. New Box is roughly $500+.... Ask me how I know. Somewhat of a bummer. The Input shaft coupler is EZ to take off but, the Downward facing pully is somewhat of a booger. Remember, the Bolt holding the pully on is "REVERSE" threaded.
Thanks for the prompt reply. What are the indicators that the gearbox is done? It does seem to spin freely and turn the belt/blades when the input shaft coupler is seated properly. Is there a way to fix the coupler so it doesn't move?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think that autoconnect coupler on the gearbox is held in place by a few set screws (I call them grub screws) that are known to loosen up. I'd remove the coupler and check into it before anything gets more damaged.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I also have a theory that the autoconnect shaft assembly seems to wipe out the bearings on the input shaft of the gearbox, my guess is if it is out of adjustment and is exerting a lateral load on the input shaft (pushing it into the gearbox). Members here with wiped out gearboxes (yet had oil) also had the autoconnect. But that's just my theory...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think that autoconnect coupler on the gearbox is held in place by a few set screws (I call them grub screws) that are known to loosen up. I'd remove the coupler and check into it before anything gets more damaged.
I'll check that, thanks. Looks like 2 allen set screws?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the coupler pushed toward the gearbox. First pic shows a set screw that looks like an allen head but doesn't fit any size. The next two show the other set screw with no head on it and removed from the hole. Last pic shows the coupler set in place and pulled outwards. In this position I can spin the deck by hand.

Can't seem to get the coupler off.

·
Registered
967 Posts
"If" the output shaft itself is wobbling about... the bearing inside is gone. I don't think tightening up the Set Screws on the AutoConnect device attachment will solve any Wobbling problems. They are just set screws to pretty much just hold onto the Output shaft of the gearbox. "If" there is oil dripping from the underside of that shaft.... That would be another indicator that the box is gone. That is, "If" there is any oil in the box to start with. The box itself only takes a few teaspoons of oil to fill it. So, any loss of oil is significant and disastrous at the same time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It might be that these two Allen set screws look the way they do because as they loosened and backed out, theiir tops were worn down by the tractor female connector moving over them.

Hopefully, because they did back out , there was no Loctite used. I'd do my best to tease, or then even drill out the set screws and install new ones. Certainly try this before ordering a new gearbox.

Can't tell from your post, have you been able to remove both of the set screws?

Reactions: nateonator

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It might be that these two Allen set screws look the way they do because as they loosened and backed out, theiir tops were worn down by the tractor female connector moving over them.

Hopefully, because they did back out , there was no Loctite used. I'd do my best to tease, or then even drill out the set screws and install new ones. Certainly try this before ordering a new gearbox.

Can't tell from your post, have you been able to remove both of the set screws?
I was able to get one of them out (the one with no head left) and it came out very easily. The other one is still screwed down and I'll have to work on that one.

Do you happen to know the screw size so I can get replacements?

·
Super Moderator
2,450 Posts
It looks like one set screw still has the hex recess. I think someone said they took a 4mm allen wrench in another thread. Definitely metric. The second one looks like it backed out before and is worn away.

I'd try getting one (or both) new set screws and lock-tite them in. Good chance it'll take care of the problem.

As far as replacements, your JD dealer, or try a hardware store, but take them with you to match up. 99.9% sure they're metric threads. I'll see if the parts catalog shows the size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Success. The screws are 3mm. Mine are in rough shape. When I put it back on, do I line up the set screws to the middle recess on the shaft? What is the purpose of the rectangle cut out on the shaft? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2,450 Posts
It looks like one set screw still has the hex recess. I think someone said they took a 4mm allen wrench in another thread. Definitely metric. The second one looks like it backed out before and is worn away.

I'd try getting one (or both) new set screws and lock-tite them in. Good chance it'll take care of the problem.

As far as replacements, your JD dealer, or try a hardware store, but take them with you to match up. 99.9% sure they're metric threads. I'll see if the parts catalog shows the size.
Set screw part # 22M7072

6 mm thread, 10 mm long, 1.0 mm pitch. Point type is "cup" type.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have not taken my quick connect aprt but I would assume that rectangler slot is for a half moon key . it should have been there when you took it apart. But the picture you took it looks rusty like the there never was a key in there. The key locks the 2 parts together and the set screws keeps them from coming apart.

·
Super Moderator
2,450 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
2,450 Posts
You bet :thumbup1gif:

As number3456 mentioned, the woodruff area is pretty rusty. I'm guessing it fell out a while ago, though I don't know how that could happen, but more likely was never there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You bet 1gif:

As number3456 mentioned, the woodruff area is pretty rusty. I'm guessing it fell out a while ago, though I don't know how that could happen, but more likely was never there.
I bet you guys are right; probably was never installed. Looks like the set screws did a decent job holding on in that case. Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts