Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to upgrade my front rotors, and calipers on my 2006 chevy 4/4 pickup. i have had Wagner's rotor's and pads on for several yrs. but they are starting to wear down, and i do believe i have one caliper sticking some, as of last summer when the boy changed out the pads, the inside pad was wore out, and the outside was like new.

so what's any good at a decent price. i have had my eye on some slotted rotors, and ceramic pads. would like to try a set for where i live, it's up and down all the time. the wagners have been good, but they are pricey too. so educate me on some better kinds, as i'm out of the loop on this stuff-ok.

here's what i found on rock auto-is rock auto -ok?

Z36 Extreme Performance Truck & Tow w/Calipers
Power Stop Truck & Tow Caliper Brake Kits offer superior stopping power that is demanded by those that Tow/Haul, as well as the off-road enthusiast.Any time you add weight to a vehicle by hauling a load, towing a trailer, or adding a larger wheel/tire combination, you change the operating conditions of your stock brake package. Powerstop Truck & Tow Brake Kits are specifically matched components designed to produce the brake torque that is needed due to the increase in wheel diameter or load.
Brake Pad Features:

Rotor Features:

Caliper Features:

Z36 Truck & Tow Upgrade Brake Kit:

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
BigJim,

I'm not so sure you need drilled or slotted rotors unless you're going to be taking the pickup to the track. You might want to look into freshening things up with some "professional" quality replacement parts.

Raybestos is a top tier supplier and offers some premium replacement brake parts for fleet, taxi and police service that are a couple of levels improved over stock.

Here's some reading information for you:

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/en-us/products/brake-pads/specialty.html

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/en-us/products/rotors/advanced-technology.html

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/en-us/products/calipers/rpt.html

These should also be available through Rock Auto.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Raybestos, Wagner, Bendix ... any name brand will work. Just stay away from the China junk.

Don't need slotted/drilled rotors. Just buy a good set.

If you have use ceramic pads plan on replacing everything again next time.

Definitely replace both calipers and hoses.

When you have only one pad wear out (of the 2 on the same side) it was probably because the sliders were frozen.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
I didn't bother with slotted rotors but I have the Powerstop Extreme pads on my Tundra right now. I put them on last summer and they are a good improvement over the Toyota factory pads. I wouldn't hesitate to use Powerstop pads again.

·
Registered
719 Posts
+1 for Rock Auto. I have had a good experience with them. I have friends who use them a lot.

One thing that they offer is bundles. They have pads, hardware, and rotors. They also have one that includes calipers. For my vehicles, they are usually Power Stop in the kits. I have been buying the middle (I think it says daily driver) rather than the economy or heavy duty/performance.

Their kits even include small packets of caliper grease. It is a handy touch if you don't have it on hand.

Lee

·
Registered
363 Posts
i want to upgrade my front rotors, and calipers on my 2006 chevy 4/4 pickup. i have had Wagner's rotor's and pads on for several yrs. but they are starting to wear down, and i do believe i have one caliper sticking some, as of last summer when the boy changed out the pads, the inside pad was wore out, and the outside was like new.

so what's any good at a decent price. i have had my eye on some slotted rotors, and ceramic pads. would like to try a set for where i live, it's up and down all the time. the wagners have been good, but they are pricey too. so educate me on some better kinds, as i'm out of the loop on this stuff-ok.

here's what i found on rock auto-is rock auto -ok?
RockAuto is top notch and generally you won't find better pricing or quicker shipping.

Just get direct factory replacement parts, you and your wallet will be happier.

In regards to the drilled, slotted or drilled and slotted rotors; these will greatly reduce the lifespan of your pads and under normal daily driving or towing conditions will often result in uneven wear or premature failure of the rotor itself. You will also find that the dust production is considerably greater. The drilled/slotted rotors are designed to dissipate heat and gasses under extreme braking conditions to ensure pad contact with the rotor is maintained, you will not encounter these conditions in anything other than a panic stop in a daily driven vehicle.

·
Registered
22,673 Posts
RockAuto is top notch and generally you won't find better pricing or quicker shipping.

In regards to the drilled, slotted or drilled and slotted rotors; these will greatly reduce the lifespan of your pads and under normal daily driving or towing conditions will often result in uneven wear or premature failure of the rotor itself. You will also find that the dust production is considerably greater. The drilled/slotted rotors are designed to dissipate heat and gasses under extreme braking conditions to ensure pad contact with the rotor is maintained, you will not encounter these conditions in anything other than a panic stop in a daily driven vehicle.
I have always used OEM parts and have had no problems.

Well said about the rotors and pads.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

This would not be a problem with only one panic stop. The problem usually only shows itself under track conditions. Or possibly running from Johnny law. lol

Drilled and or slotted rotors looks cool if you're ride has bigger open design wheels. Something like a Viper, Mustang, Corvette etc. lol
It also says that I have more money than they know what to do with. As if the car didn't say that enough when it's stock. lol

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This would not be a problem with only one panic stop. The problem usually only shows itself under track conditions. Or possibly running from Johnny law. lol

Drilled and or slotted rotors looks cool if you're ride has bigger open design wheels. Something like a Viper, Mustang, Corvette etc. lol
It also says that I have more money than they know what to do with. As if the car didn't say that enough when it's stock. lol
:banghead: not looking for styling going down the highway:laugh: i have LOTS of hills, and mountains around my place. just want something that will work better than what came on it. chevy rotors aren't or wasn't very good steel-IMO- getem hot coming down the mountain while raining, and they would warp. i know lots of uns have chevy's-not bashing chevy's. just my opinion. and i'm not riding em-either.

i also had a 98 f-150- that was my ride t the coal company. this outfit had the worst roads into the job, i've ever seen in my life. i griped every time it rained. slop every where. i started using Wagner's rotor's and their pads on it, after that slop chewed up the ford ones. they seemed to last a while longer, and didn't warp from going up and the mountain daily back then. even dropped down to 2nd to keep from touching the brake's as i came home in the wee hrs of the morning.

i didn't get around to calling today to see what prices are at my shop, really a auto parts place- i get a pretty good discount their, as i've had a account their from 1992. boys use it all the time:banghead: sometimes they forget to tell me:nunu:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
:banghead: not looking for styling going down the highway:laugh: i have LOTS of hills, and mountains around my place. just want something that will work better than what came on it. chevy rotors aren't or wasn't very good steel-IMO- getem hot coming down the mountain while raining, and they would warp. i know lots of uns have chevy's-not bashing chevy's. just my opinion. and i'm not riding em-either.

i also had a 98 f-150- that was my ride t the coal company. this outfit had the worst roads into the job, i've ever seen in my life. i griped every time it rained. slop every where. i started using Wagner's rotor's and their pads on it, after that slop chewed up the ford ones. they seemed to last a while longer, and didn't warp from going up and the mountain daily back then. even dropped down to 2nd to keep from touching the brake's as i came home in the wee hrs of the morning.

i didn't get around to calling today to see what prices are at my shop, really a auto parts place- i get a pretty good discount their, as i've had a account their from 1992. boys use it all the time:banghead: sometimes they forget to tell me:nunu:
Gave up on cutting Chevy rotors back when I worked for Meineke back in the 90's. The composite ones with the thin steel hubs were terrible. Even with the special adapter they never got a good finish. We just considered them throw away and replaced them. Rotors and drums are not built the way they used to. Heavy steel. lol Now they are just big enough to get the job done.

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Big Jim ,, sounds like you may have caliper sticking ,, possibly they may have fixed the problem,but if not yes replace both sides.
As for rotors , after working at Advance for close to 8yrs I think I've only seen a hand full of their rotors returned because of being defective. :dunno::dunno: This is for cars, pickups and lager trucks. For me I wouldn't go with slotted.
For pads don't go for middle of the roads these seemed to be a decent pads.
Hover over the image to zoom in
Share this:
[Email a Friend]
[PRINT]
Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic Brake Pads - Front (4-Pad Set) for around $60.00 order on line another 15% off.

Wish you luck

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
As others have said, Rock Auto is great. I have had really good luck with them, especially for OEM parts. They carry stuff my local Advance doesn't. I would get a quality set of pads as other have mentioned. I would investigate why only one pad has worn out and the other is new. That is not normal and as someone else suggested something maybe sticking.

One upgrade you may consider if you are handy with a wrench is getting steel braided brake hoses. They will make the pedal feel stiffer and give you better braking action. Also, have you ever changed the brake fluid out of your truck? It's supposed to be replaced every few years. I need to do that with mine, I doubt many people besides hot rodders actually do that so...

Short of better pads and a quality rotor you won't improve the brakes much more unless you go with a bigger size rotor/calipers or maybe convert over to a hydro-boost system, which is what 3/4 ton and above trucks have. It works off the power steering system. That can be a big expense(if buying new) and probably not worth it unless you really need it. You may be able to score one in a junk yard and piece it together but do your research.

·
Registered
22,673 Posts
As others have said, Rock Auto is great. I have had really good luck with them, especially for OEM parts. They carry stuff my local Advance doesn't. I would get a quality set of pads as other have mentioned. I would investigate why only one pad has worn out and the other is new. That is not normal and as someone else suggested something maybe sticking.

One upgrade you may consider if you are handy with a wrench is getting steel braided brake hoses. They will make the pedal feel stiffer and give you better braking action. Also, have you ever changed the brake fluid out of your truck? It's supposed to be replaced every few years. I need to do that with mine, I doubt many people besides hot rodders actually do that so...

Short of better pads and a quality rotor you won't improve the brakes much more unless you go with a bigger size rotor/calipers or maybe convert over to a hydro-boost system, which is what 3/4 ton and above trucks have. It works off the power steering system. That can be a big expense(if buying new) and probably not worth it unless you really need it. You may be able to score one in a junk yard and piece it together but do your research.
I always wondered about this. I am in the habit of changing brake fluid as my VW's call for it to be done every 2 years. I've never seen mention of it in my multiple F-150 maintenance manuals.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I always wondered about this. I am in the habit of changing brake fluid as my VW's call for it to be done every 2 years. I've never seen mention of it in my multiple F-150 maintenance manuals.
Brake fluid like dot 3 is hydroscopic and will absorb moisture over time. This is why it's important to always keep unused containers closed and sealed. I believe some new types of fluid are synthetic and may not be subject to that, in which case fluid change intervals could potentially be extended or even eliminated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts