Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this picture . . .

AL Fitting.JPG

I want to replace this AL fitting with a brass fitting of the same male thread size to 3/4" NPT.

The size is measured as shown with about 32 threads per inch.

IMG_5938.jpg

Amazon is the preferred suppliers . . . Anybody help?? :unknown::unknown:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Search Amazon for a 3/4 npt brass combination nipple
I'm in my tablet now and not smart enough to get you a link
Is this for a lo pressure application?

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
Search Amazon for a 3/4 npt brass combination nipple
I'm in my tablet now and not smart enough to get you a link
Is this for a lo pressure application?
its for his new fuel caddy tank.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think (cause I'm not 100% sure yet) that he wants to do away with the barbed side and wants 3/4" NPT to whatever the current thread is (that he does not know).

Is that correct Marlin? I'm researching the thread now for you...

View attachment 580601
Exactly Kennyd. :bigthumb: A brass fitting just like you've drawn . . . mystery male thread to male 3/4 npt.

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
. . . mystery male thread to male 3/4 npt.
And it's still a mystery...I have not been able to ID it yet Marlin. It could be some oddball metric thread.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And it's still a mystery...I have not been able to ID it yet Marlin. It could be some oddball metric thread.
Hmm, hoping I don't have to go to plan 'B'.

1" hose from the mystery fitting into the filter and out the other side. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That looks like a BSP fitting. They are available but you aren't going to like the price. Here's a little remedial reading to help you identify what you have.

Default Title

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks like a BPS fitting. They are available but you aren't going to like the price. Here's a little remedial reading to help you identify what you have.

Default Title
Thanks . . .I glanced through their offering and while they have sizes in the 1.25" range the threads per inch aren't even close . . . or did I miss it? :unknown:

I'll give it a few days but plan 'B' might be the only plan. I also think maybe call their 'Hose Guru' might be worth while. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
A thread major is never produced larger than its nominal designation. So unless this thread has been horribly produced I don't feel it would be a 1 1/4 imperial thread.
Looks like a 32mm major diameter on the thread.
A .75mm pitch would give one thread every .0295 of an inch.
A 1.mm pitch would give one thread every .03937 of an inch.
32 threads per inch would equal 1 thread every .03125 of an inch.

Pretty odd duck you have there. The closest thread I could guess at would be m32 x .75 which would give about 33.9 threads per inch.

:unknown:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks . . .I glanced through their offering and while they have sizes in the 1.25" range the threads per inch aren't even close . . . or did I miss it? :unknown:

I'll give it a few days but plan 'B' might be the only plan. I also think maybe call their 'Hose Guru' might be worth while. :thumbup1gif:
You would subtract .25 in from the Mic total and use the chart which would be a size -16 fitting.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The only thing I can add or reinforce is that the male threads are NOT any kind of pipe standard. There is no discernible taper - they look straight - and I would bet there is an O-ring or some other kind of seal used to prevent leaking.

If you know you can get a replacement (in case this doesn't end well), an option might be to cut the hose barb off and braze a section of whatever size NPT fitting you want to connect to onto the thing. Don't just butt the two pieces together, you'll need to be a little creative to get a decent mechanical fit before you braze otherwise the thing will have no real strength.

Don't be afraid to go to a Parker store or some similar place that does hydraulic fittings to show 'em what you got and ask them what they have.

EDIT: OK, well I was finally able to open that link and apparently there is a "British Pipe Parallel", which doesn't make it a "pipe" thread (even though it is used in a pipe application) in my book, but whatever. That does look like what you have.

Al

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The only thing I can add or reinforce is that the male threads are NOT any kind of pipe standard. There is no discernible taper - they look straight - and I would bet there is an O-ring or some other kind of seal used to prevent leaking.

If you know you can get a replacement (in case this doesn't end well), an option might be to cut the hose barb off and braze a section of whatever size NPT fitting you want to connect to onto the thing. Don't just butt the two pieces together, you'll need to be a little creative to get a decent mechanical fit before you braze otherwise the th.ing will have no real strength.

Don't be afraid to go to a Parker store or some similar place that does hydraulic fittings to show 'em what you got and ask them what they have.

Al
Personally, I like

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I went to a local hydraulics store with that fitting and they couldn't match, or identify the threads. A 3/4" pipe nipple sort of fits in the tube coming out of the tank and could probably be welded in place, and you'd have standard thread, but then you'd need a new pump. Sorry I'm not more help. If this mystery gets solved, it would help me out too.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

If you know you can get a replacement (in case this doesn't end well), an option might be to cut the hose barb off and braze a section of whatever size NPT fitting you want to connect to onto the thing. Don't just butt the two pieces together, you'll need to be a little creative to get a decent mechanical fit before you braze otherwise the thing will have no real strength.

EDIT: OK, well I was finally able to open that link and apparently there is a "British Pipe Parallel", which doesn't make it a "pipe" thread (even though it is used in a pipe application) in my book, but whatever. That does look like what you have.

Al
AlKozak ~ Thank for your insight and help. I like the cutting and brazing, I can see it being done and working, but it is above my skill level. I'll look for a Parker or hydraulic store, guess I should try the Deere dealer also. Also going to call the 'Hose Guru' at this place which looks like a real good possibility. Hose Guru

·
Registered
625 Posts
Another option would be to take it to a machine shop - they could use some octagon bar and machine it to your specs.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Diesel Fuel Filtering . . .

I've had no easy or what I would call 'cost effective' fix to my mystery fitting issue. Possibilities include sending the fitting to a supplier for identification and maybe a match, machining it with a NPT added, etc.

I can't get excited about any of them as I believe it would be easy to spend a hundred plus :gizmo: which I'm wondering if it is necessary.

So, must the fuel be filtered as it exits the portable tank/enter the tractors diesel tank? Are the two filters already on my 1026R :greentractorride: enough since the portable tank has a fine filtering screen as the diesel fills the tank?

The other thought I've had, does John Deere make a filter screen that fits into the filler on the :greentractorride:? Many pieces of equipment do these days.

So, comments anyone . . . :unknown:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts