Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as I expected, my old finish mower is not wide enough for my new quick hitch. I have the quick hitch bushings from Northern Tool and was wondering if I mounted them backwards if that would extend the pins enough. If that doesn't work what else could I do?

image.jpg

·
Administrator
20,958 Posts
I suspect your mower is a CAT 0 hitch (or close) but your quick hitch is a CAT 1. Unfortunately you'll either need to modify the hitch with some welding and fabrication, ditch the QH, or sell the mower and buy a CAT 1 mower.

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
I believe you can purchase some longer draft pins to extend the width. I've seen them at Tractor Supply.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect your mower is a CAT 0 hitch (or close) but your quick hitch is a CAT 1. Unfortunately you'll either need to modify the hitch with some welding and fabrication, ditch the QH, or sell the mower and buy a CAT 1 mower.
I was thinking the same thing, that someone took a cat 0 mower and put cat 1 pins on it. I bought it off CL cheap from a guy who had been using it on an old Kubota. The gasket on the gear box was toast and the guy didn't want want to mess with it. I'll check TS for some longer pins.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

Yep, looks like a cat-0 implement to me. Here's a chart with the dimensions so you can verify.

3pt specs.jpg

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
Definitely CAT0, I suspect you won't find pins long enough however and the frame will have to be modified. That guy probably had a early BX2200 or similar tractor, they had oddball hitches.

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
If I were to modify something it would be the mower - not the quick hitch. The hitch will still work with tons of cat 1 implements the way it is.
I agree, however I think he means the hitch on the mower (;

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
From the looks of the picture you are also going to have to modify the top link connection.

With that flat bar welded under the pin you won't be able to get the hook on the pin.

A floating top link would fix that.

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
From the looks of the picture you are also going to have to modify the top link connection.

With that flat bar welded under the pin you won't be able to get the hook on the pin.

A floating top link would fix that.
Good point! Land Pride has a floating top link kit that they recommend for some applications. I've attached a file with more information.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
Good point! Land Pride has a floating top link kit that they recommend for some applications. I've attached a file with more information.
:bigthumb:

That is the one I have. Was going to go take some pictures so I could explain it.

Thanks SGS!

·
Banned
419 Posts
Hitch issues

Even if you mod the hitch will the drive line and gear case hold up to the high horse power and torque of a larger tractor. May be going to a lot of work to find out will be for not.

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
Even if you mod the hitch will the drive line and gear case hold up to the high horse power and torque of a larger tractor. May be going to a lot of work to find out will be for not.

I am guessing that it has a 40hp gearbox. I very well could be wrong, but I have never seen a smaller gearbox than 40hp on a RMFM.

Even then, if it is used as intended (mowing grass) I don't think it would hurt it.

Your point is worth considering, but if you didn't abuse it / over work it, I would imagine you could get many years of service out of it.

It is going to take a little bit of ingenuity to widen the lift points. Depending on how much :gizmo: the OP has invested in it compared to the cost of a new deck and the OP's fab skills will be a big factor.

What brand/model is the mower?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought it back in the spring and first thing I did was replace the gasket in the gear box because it was leaking bad. I mowed all spring, summer and fall without dripping a drop of gear oil and it worked fine. It has cat 1 pins on it so the guy I bought it from his old Kubota must have been cat 1 as well. It's an old mower made in Italy so who knows what specs they made it to.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

Tony, I was thinking that but then I remembered that the 2320 has maybe 20HP on the PTO, I would think that any gearbox should be able to handle that.

That being said, if I was the poster, I would look into picking up a cat 1 mower now when prices are low for mowers and moving the cat 0 mower in the spring when people are looking for them for a Garden tractor or sub-CUT with a limited cat 1 or 0 and prices are up.

My 2 cents,

Tom

Reactions: rtgt

·
Banned
419 Posts
Hitch issues

Just a idea. But if you have a old iron yard near you, or a place that sells used equipment try to find a hitch arch. The whole hitch off of another brand that the mower may be toast. or you can get some 3/8 by 2 or 21/2 and bend a arch may well maybe be the easiest. I did one using a little heat and a bench vice

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am guessing that it has a 40hp gearbox. I very well could be wrong, but I have never seen a smaller gearbox than 40hp on a RMFM.

Even then, if it is used as intended (mowing grass) I don't think it would hurt it.

Your point is worth considering, but if you didn't abuse it / over work it, I would imagine you could get many years of service out of it.

It is going to take a little bit of ingenuity to widen the lift points. Depending on how much :gizmo: the OP has invested in it compared to the cost of a new deck and the OP's fab skills will be a big factor.

What brand/model is the mower?
Investment in mower is $400 total. It's an old Caroni side discharge and it's pretty easy to get parts for. The thing is definitely built like a tank. Luckily my neighbor is a welder/fabricator and a good friend of mine that lives 5 minutes away is as well. So between the two of them I won't have any problem modifying the mower hitch. The question is, now that I've fixed it up and it works great can I sell it for enough money to take the sting out of buying a new one or a used mid-mount mower. Also, this could be a great excuse with the wife to buy a box blade because I had planned on just leaving the mower on the back for weight for snowblowing but I'd love to have to have a box blade to serve the dual purpose of scraper and weight.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts