Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, All!

I am looking for help identifying 10-12 antique tractors/ plows/ other equipment. Most is John Deere, but I think a couple may be by other names. I need help knowing what they are or what models they are so I can figure out how much each item is worth to try and sell them. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this, thanks in advance!!

bigclawthing.jpg
bigplowthing.jpg
bigtractor.jpg
brownjohndeerething.jpg
farmeqpt1.jpg
johndeere1.jpg
johndeere2.jpg
johndeere3.jpg
johndeere4.jpg
johndeere5.jpg
johndeerewithredthing.jpg
mccormick.jpg
orangetractor.jpg
seatplowthing.jpg
syracuse.plow.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Huh. Well, that last one is the easiest. That's from the Syracuse Chilled Plow Co.. Without seeing more of it it's a bit hard to tell which model but they made plows for years out of Syracuse NY and the company was bought out by Deere somewhere right around 1910. After Deere bought them, the overall plows themselves had Deere model numbers but many of the castings still carried the "Syracuse Chilled Plow" on them.

This book may be of interest.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924089881654;view=1up;seq=1

and here's a quick wrte-up on them:

Joining Forces: Syracuse Chilled Plow Co. and Deere & Company - Implements - Farm Collector

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, jim!! That is a step in the right direction so I really appreciate it. Hoping people can help identify the rest!:greentractorride:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,218 Posts
Looks like pic #2 and #12 are the same. Looks like what they used to cut wheat and oats. If you have some Amish around you I'd get one of them and let them tell you what most of the implements are as they probably still use some of them.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
Picture ten looks like a JD LA made 1941-1946

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I would get a pro out there and have them look it over. If it's going to be an auction I would get someone who is well versed on what this stuff brings. You have a very diverse group of items there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,719 Posts
Unless someone painted it Industrial Yellow, below is a MI. Model "M" "Industrial" 1949 - 1952

model year

1950: 10001
1951: 10293
1952: 10685
Final: 11032

·
Registered
913 Posts
I believe that picture 6 is a John Deere A model. Here is a link to a site with some additional information. If you can locate the serial number this will narrow it down to year and variant.

TractorData.com John Deere A tractor information

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Is the farm wagon in picture #3 the same one that is in the background of picture #5? And, am I seeing different diameter front and rear wheels? A wild guess would be a 1940s era McCormick-Deering wagon. But I'd lean that way since picture 12 shows another McCormick-Deering implement.

Man, I used to love playing around similar stuff sitting outside the barns on my grandparent's farm. Today, they would probably be charged with child endangerment just for having all these dangerous things that were attractions to boys. But that was 70 years ago.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you live anywhere close to the Quad-Cities, Moline, etc., I'd get hold of Stenzel Auction Service, they can appraise that stuff.

The three brothers that started the company were all advisors to my 4-H club, and auctioned on the side. Their Day Job they were all supervisors at Deere plants. Their kids now run the auction company.

If you live far from the Quad-Cities, they can probably recommend someone else.

·
Registered
913 Posts
#2 is a McCormick-Deering reaper.

Isn't anyone else playing this name that thing game?

·
Registered
913 Posts
#7-8. John Deere 2-bottom trip lift plow, same era as most of the other stuff.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Best I can do with #5 is a pair of wooden walking plows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your help, everyone!! All of the equipment is in Pennsylvania currently (though I am in IL) and I am trying to get as much research done remotely as I can. I welcome any and all help I can get identifying what this stuff is/ what it could be worth. I realize it's difficult without serial numbers and such.

If anyone else has any knowledge about any of this stuff, please let me know! Also, if any of it looks appealing to anyone or you know anyone who is looking for any of it, let me know that, too! Thanks! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts