Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
:wgtt:

This is a parts breakdown from JD Parts.

cxwheel.gif

To remove the rear wheel, item #6 needs to come off. It's just a cap to keep dust and debris out, you should be able to pry it free with a small chisel or pry bar. Once it's off you'll need to remove the clip, item #5. Deere calls it a snap ring, but the image looks like an "e clip". If it's a round snap ring with two little eyes close together, you will need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove it. If it's an e clip, take your chisel and a hammer and simply tap it straight off. While referred to as an e clip, it's actually C shaped. The open side of the C will expand and slide over the axle shaft, allowing it to come off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after the e clip there is a round nut how can i get that off?

This is a parts breakdown from JD Parts.

View attachment 84610

To remove the rear wheel, item #6 needs to come off. It's just a cap to keep dust and debris out, you should be able to pry it free with a small chisel or pry bar. Once it's off you'll need to remove the clip, item #5. Deere calls it a snap ring, but the image looks like an "e clip". If it's a round snap ring with two little eyes close together, you will need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove it. If it's an e clip, take your chisel and a hammer and simply tap it straight off. While referred to as an e clip, it's actually C shaped. The open side of the C will expand and slide over the axle shaft, allowing it to come off.[/QUOTE]

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,686 Posts
The front wheel has a bolt but the back doesn't, per my manual.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
After the e clip, the next thing should just be a washer. I don't believe the axle is threaded for a nut. If you've got the machine blocked up with the wheel off the ground, you should be able to wiggle it and the washer should come loose. I believe the axle shaft of those connects to the rim with splines, they may be stuck. Penetrating oil might help.

Can you post a picture of what you've got?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are pictures

I pretty much agree that its not a bolt but attach to the rim but how do I get the rim to come off the axle? I need to replace the seal. No matter how much Ive pulled on it, its not budging.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,686 Posts
I pretty much agree that its not a bolt but attach to the rim but how do I get the rim to come off the axle? I need to replace the seal. No matter how much Ive pulled on it, its not budging.
When new I would imagine it would have slid right off. Penetrating oil of some kind now.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Yup, unfortunately it looks like it's just stuck now. PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or Kroil would be good to soak it in for a few days. You might be able to rig up some form of puller using those holes in the rim, but if it's too stuck that may bend the wheel.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You might be able to rig up some form of puller using those holes in the rim, but if it's too stuck that may bend the wheel.
I've had luck, when using a puller for situations like this, getting a good amount of tension on the puller and then strike the center puller bolt with a heavy hammer. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad is a mechanic so thats the first thing he did was saturate it in penetrating oil and he made a puller yesterday. Its unfortunately not budging. Going to saturating it a few more times today hope it helps and can get it to budge.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,686 Posts
I'm thinking I should pull the wheels off our 2005 CX, if not too late already.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,686 Posts
I'm thinking I should pull the wheels off our 2005 CX, if not too late already.
ashbycreekfarms, I know this won't help you much but I just pulled both sides on our Gator, cleaned and hit with Fluid Film <20 minutes.

Gator Axle.JPG _ Gator Axle2.JPG

·
Old Pa-pa
11,330 Posts
ashbycreekfarms, I know this won't help you much but I just pulled both sides on our Gator, cleaned and hit with Fluid Film <20 minutes.

View attachment 86969 _ View attachment 86977
Done yourself a world of good there pulling it down while still free.
It's another thing I like about this place, read something and makes you think "I better look at that on mine".:thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,686 Posts
Done yourself a world of good there pulling it down while still free.
It's another thing I like about this place, read something and makes you think "I better look at that on mine".:thumbup1gif:
:good2: Ain't that the truth.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,686 Posts
You may have to use penetrating oil for a few days.
Tap (a pretty good tap) the shaft/axle on the end while someone else pulls on the wheel, maybe a couple times a day if possible.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
No matter how much we have lubricated the wheel it is not budging. We even heated it and still nothing. What gives?
Just be patient and keep oiling. You need to let the oil soak in and that takes awhile maybe a couple of weeks. That key is not helping in this situation. Sounds like it is really, really corroded. I have used up several cans of penetrating oil on stuff like this. Slow and steady will get you there. If you are using heat, I am willing to bet that you are not using enough to do this job. You are at the point of heating up seals and tires for this job. It took years for this to corrode together and it will not come apart in a couple of days with out ruining parts. Hang in there you'll persevere. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts