Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,341 Posts
I wouldn't use pipe! The only thing 3/4" on 3/4 pipe is the name! OD is 1.050" and ID varies from .884" to .614" depending on Schedule! Use steel tubing instead... the numbers are the OD. That too comes in different thicknesses, but McM will have sizes. Bob

· Registered
2,341 Posts
MMike, I Really LIKE your design! I don't know how much thought or knowledge was put into it, but I like to comment on a few features for those following!

Utilizing square tubing vs round gives more surface area to weld and results in a stronger assembly. As an example: If the horizontal support was round tubing, it would have to be ground to match the radius on the vertical tube and have a circumference of 4.7" to weld the joint. If 1 1/2" square tube, a simple saw cut and 6" to apply weld. Welding the square tubing to the flat mounting plate is also easier/better than with round tubing. I know we're only talking about holding a few hundred pounds, but if the rake starts bouncing, the load on the weld is greatly increased.

When I build mine, and I will, I'll have 2 minor modifications: fasteners holding casters will have nuts on bottom...only because mine is store outside in the elements. I'd add 1 possibly 2 additional holes in the outer vertical tube for a more finite adjustment. Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.