Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I just want to say that I am new to this forum and I'm looking to buy my first CUT. I stuck on what size tractor to buy for my applications. Here is some background of what I will be looking to do with the tractor. Also keep in mind I have a Massey 1533 that is available most of the time to use (very seldom when I need it haha) and it has a 6ft harley rake, FEL, 6ft brush hog, and 6ft box scraper. I would like to be able to use these attachements also with my new purchase except but understand it would mostly require the 3000 or 4000 series john deere to do so. Not a big deal if I have to purchase 5ft attachements if I need to though. Money is limited but keep in mind that I want to make the right choice so if I have to save up more then so be it.

I will need the tractor for the following tasks:

-Snow blow a 300ft long driveway with a 100ftx60ft or more turn around area. Front end snow blower preferred.
-Finish Mow 0.50-1acres of lawn
-Maintain the driveway with box scraper or rake
-Till a 100ftx75ft garden
-Move mulch, topsoil, etc around the yard
-We are slowly starting a small farm, starting out by raising some beef cows. So I would like to be able to run a post hole auger to put in an extremely large amount of fencing.
-Brush hog around the fencing (rough pasture so clearance might be an issue)
-maybe harrow/reseed/level pasture in areas
-Run a wood chipper 5-6" max, most likely smaller 3-4"
-move small logs and firewood when needed

The plan is in the future 5-6 years as our small farm grows and we are able to purchase some sugar woods and more tillable land to buy a larger tractor for logging and field work and keep this one.

I have been looking at the JD 2000 series specifically 2320 and 2720. The JD 2520 is a 6month wait on order they sold out this spring. I do have available some times a MF1533 and a few larger tractors for the field work and much larger tasks since my fiance's parents own a LFO milking 700 dairy cows. But I feel most are to large to get into the area we are fencing since it is all old over grown paster right on a large river, so many wet areas. Sorry for the long detail.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Welcome Hamdog.

I didn't see any mention of how big your lot is, nor do I know how big a MF 1533 is. However; as soon as I saw that you have 1/2 - 1 acre of grass to finish mow, I immediately thought you need two tractors. To keep the expense down, I'd get a cheap BBM (Big Box Mart) lawn tractor for the grass and spend the real money on a real CUT for the jobs you plan to do. I'm guessing you're on the right track with the JD 3000 - 4000 series. If you can afford it...get a cabbed version. Adding an aftermarket cab to an open station tractor later on will be just about as much as a factory cab, and not be as good as a factory cab.

Just realize that a BBM lawn tractor is not going to be as well built as a CUT regardless of the paint color.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Welcome to DT Ham...

I have to agree with MJ on this one, you need a smaller L&G tractor for mowing, and at least a 3x20 series for the other chores you listed especially if you want to share those larger implements. The 2720 would do everything you listed but using the larger implements and there is no factory cab for it if you are considering that option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MJ,

My lot is probably a 5 acre lot (1-2 acres to mow) with 30 acres of pasture land. We rent from the family farm so it sits in the middle of probably a 150 acres of the farm. I do have access to use larger tractors for bigger attachements and I also plan on buying most likely a 4000 series tractor or larger when we finally purchase our own land and small farm.

The MF1533 is a 33HP tractor probably equivalent in size to a 3720. It handles the 6ft attachements pretty well. I want something I can do everything as stated below with. I guess the more I think about it if I stick with the 2000 series and use the farm equipment for any larger tasks I should be fine. Main chores are going to be snow blowing driveway all winter,finish mowing, brush hogging and light field work (tilling garden, etc)

Thanks for the help, so many choices and decisions. Its just tough trying to make the right one......

The dealer is really pushing the 2320 or 2720....they do have a 2010 3520 with 36 hrs, 300CX FEL but they want $26,900 for it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
MJ,

My lot is probably a 5 acre lot (1-2 acres to mow) with 30 acres of pasture land. We rent from the family farm so it sits in the middle of probably a 150 acres of the farm. I do have access to use larger tractors for bigger attachements and I also plan on buying most likely a 4000 series tractor or larger when we finally purchase our own land and small farm.

The MF1533 is a 33HP tractor probably equivalent in size to a 3720. It handles the 6ft attachements pretty well. I want something I can do everything as stated below with. I guess the more I think about it if I stick with the 2000 series and use the farm equipment for any larger tasks I should be fine. Main chores are going to be snow blowing driveway all winter,finish mowing, brush hogging and light field work (tilling garden, etc)

Thanks for the help, so many choices and decisions. Its just tough trying to make the right one......

The dealer is really pushing the 2320 or 2720....they do have a 2010 3520 with 36 hrs, 300CX FEL but they want $26,900 for it.
I would go with one tractor too. The box store lawn mowers are uncomfortable, and not too mention the gas you will go through. After cutting with a diesel, you won't want to get on the gasser again.

If you do not have too many trees, get a rear finish mower. More metal in one of those than a box store mower.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Another thing to think about HD is this will probably be a long term purchase you make. I don't know how old you are, or where in the Snowbelt you live; but unless you like cold and snow, an open station tractor is going to be a miserable experience especially using a snow blower based on comments I've read from those who've been there, done that. What little snow I've moved with my loader has been a miserable experience; but my tolerance for cold is low. In my case JD offered a cab for the 4200 - 4400 series in Europe only; but I would have bought it if they offered it here in the states, even without AC. I would have looked into adding it later.

I agree with Kenny that a 3000 series will be good for the 5-acres; but a 4000 series will be better suited if you get a lot more land. Granted you could do it with a 2000 series; but it takes longer. Only you can judge whether your time or money is more important.

Choose wisely.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Another thing to think about HD is this will probably be a long term purchase you make. I don't know how old you are, or where in the Snowbelt you live; but unless you like cold and snow, an open station tractor is going to be a miserable experience especially using a snow blower based on comments I've read from those who've been there, done that. What little snow I've moved with my loader has been a miserable experience; but my tolerance for cold is low.
Choose wisely.
You got that right!! I love the cold, but getting covered in snow gets old fast. Keeping dry is most important, having heat, and AC makes it a pleasure to do.

A cab would be a wise investment, if you can swing it.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I had many of the same issues / needs when I was shopping as you listed. I never considered anything except the 3000 or 4000 series CUTs. My dealer made a comment that turned out to be very good advice, maybe it will help you also.

"Always buy bigger than you think you'll need rather than smaller. I've never had anyone to complain about their tractor being too big but I have sold several that turned out to be too small."

And as several have mentioned, if at all possible, get a cab. That's the only thing I wish I had done different with mine. Yes it costs more but it's worth it now and will pay you back if you ever sell or trade down the road.

Here's what I bought: http://www.deeretalk.com/forums/showthread.php?1666-Delivery-of-my-4320

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All,

Thank you for the replies and input. Unfortunately I do not have the money yet to purchase a larger 3000 or 4000 series tractor with Cab as of yet, but will be on my list for future purchase when we are able to purchase a larger parcel of land. My fiances dairy farm has several large tractors 4000 series and larger along with an a MF that is equivalent to the 3000 series. So when I get in a bind and need a larger tractor one is usually available, key word there usually. Since the farm is less than 1/2 a mile down the road it isn't an issue. I just need a tractor available all the time for snow blowing, mowing, tilling, post hole digging, small loader work, etc. I know when we expand to a bigger parcel of land with woods and crop land I will need a bigger tractor most likely two bigger tractors :thumbup1gif:.

The snow does not bother me I'm 26years old and I'm use to the cold wind and snow. I plowed my 300ft long driveway with 100ftx60ft turnaround spot with a 4ft plow on my Honda Foreman 450s. Talk about getting sick of plowing in a hury. When the snow got over a foot deep in which it did several times my brother in law or the big Case Magnum with plow came over. The only rpoble with that was I spent two weekends and probably raked/moved 3 yards of stone off my lawn. That is why I want the tractor and snow blower, done with 4 wheeler plow and having the brother inlaw plow the driveway. Not going to spend two wknds raking again!

So I guess right now I'm looking at the 2320 or 2720 (no 2520 in stock). I know it will handle most of my tasks except for larger field work. How about post hole digger for putting in fence poles? Will the 2320 handle it or should I spend the extra and get the 2720?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
I would spend the fee extra dollars and get the 2720.

Hope the more knowledgeable guys reply soon.
I agree 110%. Less chance of buyers remorse later if you get the biggest you can afford.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm heading to the dealership this afternoon to check them out. I will keep you posted on my decision. Thanks again for all the help!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
If the ideal tractor is a 3000 or 4000 series, than the compromise tractor is the 2720 not the 2320. That's a compromise you could use for a decade if you had to.

Given where you are in life (age, money, etc) and given your future land plans, you just about need a 15 year plan. Start with the 2720 as the tractor. As you get attachments for it, remember that someday you'll be on a bigger tractor with 40 HP or so. So you'll want to get the biggest attachment the 2720 can handle, even if it's overkill for the 2720. A little more as you buy attachments up front and you won't be in a situation 10 years from now where you have to trade up Everything. An example: when I bought my landscape rake, I got a 6' one which I planned to use on my 21HP Kubota (B21 TLB). Worked great on that tractor. The problem is that my 4520 tractor could bend that thing up without kicking in the turbo. So I have to be very careful and only use in in pre-disturbed soil. If I had got on rated for a 40 to 50 HP tractor, and got one that was 7' wide, I would have been better off. Each attachment has different trade offs in this regard. So if you do this, while you'll accumulate attachments slower than you'd like, you can keep them longer than you'd think.

On the PHD: They don't take much horse power, but they run at low rpms so the higher HP tractors have the torque to drill at low RPM. For the 2720, I would imagine it could handle any hole 12" and under no problem. You need to check around and see what people are using and what your soil type is. Around here, I've got mostly clay and small rocks OR this nasty hard yellow-ish rock every once in a blue moon. So I get buy with a cheap Speeco/TSC one. And someday I'll try to drill a hole and won't be able to do it. 60+ holes to the good so far. Your soil type will dictate what you can use. So ask around, look around.

Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
eepete,

That is great advice. That is the route I was going at. I should be able to run the 6ft box blade and brush hog that the farm already has. They have a used 3520 that is in the same price range as the 2720 I might take a look at.

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
554 Posts
eepete,

That is great advice. That is the route I was going at. I should be able to run the 6ft box blade and brush hog that the farm already has. They have a used 3520 that is in the same price range as the 2720 I might take a look at.

Thanks again for all your help!
The only thing to keep in mind on the bigger implements is that the smaller machines will pull/push/run them but keep in mind when you raise them the ground clearance will not be a great on a small machine as a larger one. I use a B model Kubota pulling a full size york/landscape rack and it pulls it just fine till I raise it and try to go up a bank or hill. A few times I have had to disconnect, pick up the rake with the loader and reconnect on flat ground, just a thought.
good luck with your purchase, I am in the process of picking out what model to buy also.:banghead::grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts