Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a used 997 for my first ZTR. I was having a lot of problems with motion creep, left side going forward and right side in reverse. I fixed this following the user manual. The manual also states that the control levers should return to neutral when released. If I pull back and release they do slowly move forward slightly but not to neutral, pushing forward they will stay where you let go. I do not see any adjustment procedure for this. Is it an adjustment problem, hydraulic problem, bad dampers or ???

thanks.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,946 Posts
I recently picked up a used 997 for my first ZTR. I was having a lot of problems with motion creep, left side going forward and right side in reverse. I fixed this following the user manual. The manual also states that the control levers should return to neutral when released. If I pull back and release they do slowly move forward slightly but not to neutral, pushing forward they will stay where you let go. I do not see any adjustment procedure for this. Is it an adjustment problem, hydraulic problem, bad dampers or ???

thanks.
Wonder if you might need to spray a little Fluid Film on all the linkages involved?
Noticed on mine when I first got it the sticks were real tight going from drive position (inward) to neutral position (outward).
Salesman said this was normal for a new machine and they would eventually loosen up, they didn't.

Sprayed a little Fluid Film and they are now free as can be.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It may be the "Control Dampers" need replacing. They look like small shock absorbers on each side. If one is weak, you must replace both at same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may be the "Control Dampers" need replacing. They look like small shock absorbers on each side. If one is weak, you must replace both at same time.
Anyway to narrow the problem down to the dampers before I order 2 new ones?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

thanks.
As far as the levers returning back to neutral on their own is not right. They may slightly move to slow but not completely. If yours do move back sllightly they they are OK. The dampners, if the sticks/transmission is real touchy, to where you find it hard to ease the machine forward then they are shot. If you can control the machine from a stop forward/reverse smoothly then they are fine.

Wonder if you might need to spray a little Fluid Film on all the linkages involved?
Noticed on mine when I first got it the sticks were real tight going from drive position (inward) to neutral position (outward).
Salesman said this was normal for a new machine and they would eventually loosen up, they didn't.

Sprayed a little Fluid Film and they are now free as can be.
The inward/outward tension is set by the bolt with nylon nut on the slot where the stick moves. Just loosen or tighten a little bit to make them looser/tighter. It opens or closes the slot to create resistance of the lever.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Anyway to narrow the problem down to the dampers before I order 2 new ones?
Raise the seat and lock it so it won't fall on you. Move one side motion control lever in are out and see how long it takes for the lever to return to the center. When I test mine on the Ztrak, I remove the nut on the top bolt and detach it from the control lever and try to pull and push the damper to see if there is any resistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As part of adjusting the motion linkages user manual states:

11. Move the right motion control lever completely rearward in the slot and
release lever. The lever should return back to the neutral position
(completely centered in the slot).

It also states that for an emergency stop, release both handles. Don't see how this would do much if they don't return to neutral. The user manual gives no advice on what do do if the handles do not return, anybody have a 997 service manual that can check it for me. I'll unhook the dampers, check them and go from there.

thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
roberth58, you are correct that the owner's manual states that when you release the motion levers, the levers return to the natural position very quickly...stop. However, there is a "adjustment" on the machine in case the tractor "creeps" forward or reverse. You have to jack up the rear to ....wheels off the ground and make that adjustment. I would put a good guess the dampers are bad,

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Like Newt said.

I bought a 997 new in 2013. It currently has 250 hours on it, and what you describe is normal.
The levers will slowly return to normal from reverse, but not from forward.
I'm glad they don't...I think it would be fatiguing to fight a spring the whole time you are mowing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts