Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I own a 6420 that I recently purchased. I use the tractor for haying operations when I bought it (at auction) I noticed that a warning saying (multi-function lever) was defective. It seemed to work ok just gave the warning. I replaced the lever (think left hand reverser) and the warning has yet to come back on. No problems with The tractor at working speeds, but when you start to mobile between fields another warning disengages the tranny and says (clutch or speed sensor defective). Went to replace said sensor and my troubles began, couldn't get to it in the first place, tractor cab had to be tilted over and a rear tire removed, figured that was better left to jd mechanics. upon checking out the situation, they noticed a memo in the computer database showing this very same trouble code. Upon inspection, the gear that is directly under the sensor has teeth chipped up on it. Jd mechanics will put in a new tranny for a mere $29,000 less 6000 for the core, other than taking it back to a sale and not disclosing the problem, (which I am not about to do) what choice does one have but to fix it? So anyone had this problem? If so did you resolve it with new tranny from JD? Comes with 1500 hr warranty......any ideas? Tractor is 04 with 6000 hr. Thanks

·
Administrator
21,271 Posts
Welcome to DT:thumbup1gif:
Hopefully Kevin or JD110 will be along shortly with some words of wisdom-cause I sure don't have any! But I guess I don't understand why this gear cannot be replaced?:unknown:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Dawg,
This is a dilemma. You have what is, in reality, a fairly minor transmission failure. In order to replace the offending gear you would need access to a properly trained tech and approved facility. In the early days, the IVT was not dealer serviceable. This is beginning to change. I met some fellows, in training, who claimed to work at a Dealer that has an approved facility(clean room). Most dealers do not meet the criteria. I have been through the class. We do not have an approved facility. The IVT is still a constant mesh/planetary tranny. It just has a trick primary ring gear arrangement. But, I digress. The simple answer is this: you have a 6000 hour tranny that has to be pulled. I would recommend a reman for any trans with that many hours. You will get all new clutches, bearings, thrust washers and o-rings as well as a warranty. The tranny will have been gone through by a tech that does nothing but IVTs, instead of a guy that rarely sees one. There are only two real options, Fix it or trade it. I can't help you with that choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello to all, I own a 6420 that I recently purchased. I use the tractor for haying operations when I bought it (at auction) I noticed that a warning saying (multi-function lever) was defective. It seemed to work ok just gave the warning. I replaced the lever (think left hand reverser) and the warning has yet to come back on. No problems with The tractor at working speeds, but when you start to mobile between fields another warning disengages the tranny and says (clutch or speed sensor defective). Went to replace said sensor and my troubles began, couldn't get to it in the first place, tractor cab had to be tilted over and a rear tire removed, figured that was better left to jd mechanics. upon checking out the situation, they noticed a memo in the computer database showing this very same trouble code. Upon inspection, the gear that is directly under the sensor has teeth chipped up on it. Jd mechanics will put in a new tranny for a mere $29,000 less 6000 for the core, other than taking it back to a sale and not disclosing the problem, (which I am not about to do) what choice does one have but to fix it? So anyone had this problem? If so did you resolve it with new tranny from JD? Comes with 1500 hr warranty......any ideas? Tractor is 04 with 6000 hr. Thanks
Ask the dealer what they would give you for it as is, and then fixed. Then decide for yourself if a replacement is in the cards?? Also, would you be better off with the $29K in the bank and a new(er) tractor, or this one repaired.

Dilemma sure. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updates

Keep trying to update but if the message is long and I submit it, the site asks me to sign in and then redirects to a white blank page. Going to have to try on pc and get off this iPad. Tractor is at dealer having new tranny installed! Either that or part it out, or sell it to someone else, that's not me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

Site seems to work ok if I am real brief. My dealer tells me there is some dtac cases from jd that seem to point to these tractors being used heavily for front end loader work with no rear ballast, they seem to think that is what causes this problem, the tractor bouncing at high mobile speed, sounds logical, do you think water in tires helps or hurts this dynamic? Not sure if they r filled with h2o or not, I'll have to ck, don't need for haying anyway. Thanks again

·
Administrator
21,271 Posts
Having some sort of ballast, whether it's weight on the 3PH and or fluid in the tires is needed when using the loader. The owners manual for the loader should cover this pretty well.

Are you clicking the "Remember Me" option when you log in?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ivt 6420

Agreed on the ballast, what I was referring to is the bouncing dynamic that occurs during mobile, any ideas as to whether h2o helps or amplifies it, I don't need water necessarily, so I could go either way. No, not selecting remember me, will try that, thanks

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone would use a loader with no rear ballast. That is a good way to wind up on your nose or worse. We have a couple of high hour IVT machines in our area. Both have fluid in the tires and cover a lot of miles on road. Both see heavy loader work. No tranny problems, so far.

sent from my cell via tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on new ivt tranny

Hello to all, Recently had jd dealer put in a new transmission, got it back and the tractor seems to be ok, initially the trans overheated and they sent a mech.out who discovered a blown fuse at the coolant pump, hard to believe they didn't catch that in the shop while priming the trans cooler, anyway all seems to be good with the exception of my wallet which is 23K short

·
Administrator
21,271 Posts
Thanks for the update, wow-23k for a repair! That's more than most of us paid for our new tractors!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts