Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just purchased my first John Deere tractor a 1983 C116L. The owner said it needs to be re-valved and a new starter installed. Where do I start for parts? Can the motor be re-valved? Any advice would be great. The owner said that the tractor started loosing power and then the starter went out so he parked it under a tree 2-3 years ago and bought a craftsman. I rescued the tractor tonight from the scrap pile.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Nice looking tractor. Can you find the brand on the motor anywhere? It might be cheaper to buy a new motor than to have someone rebuild it.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Expedio, :welcomedt

TractorData has the 116 using a B&S 16hp 2 cyl.
Engine model #402707.

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Thanks for joining us here at DT Expedio. :yahoo: A little TLC and you are going to have a fine machine. I really like seeing these older machines being saved and put into use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I was told that the motor was a Briggs and had an Aluminum block therefore you couldn't do any valve work. The person I bought it from said the valves were bad??? Not sure until I do a compression check and tear down the motor. I will update you all later if interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts