Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning on buying a 3pt tiller by next spring so I always check them out whenever I’m somewhere that sells them. Look o line and everywhere hoping to come across a good deal. Found this today! My question is can I run it with my 2025R? I know it will probably take it to the max but a 4ft tiller runs about $1600-$2000. To get a 5ft for this price would be great if it would work. What’s everyones thoughts and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,637 Posts
I'd get it!!

Reactions: jdforever and kylew

·
Super Moderator
5,196 Posts
If it were me, I'd buy it and worry about how well it will work later.

Personally, I think it should work fine but if you find it doesn't, you can still sell it for more than you paid for it.

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
Buy it and a bottle of gear oil and go to town. Like Jim said, you could always sell it for break even or profit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks like a good price! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Buy it!! Soil conditions and type of soil will be the major determining factor as whether the tractor will run it or not. If it's hard, till twice in two different depths.

And if it doesn't work out, trade it to someone with a brand new rt1149 that is looking for a bigger one that has switched tractors.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Buy it!!!!!:gizmo:

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Alex that is a very good deal for sure!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Od go for it. I have the same one except the 4 ft. Its a beast. I reversed mine and it takes even more to run it but it does it. I wouldnt reverse it til you see how you like it, then be prepared to need more power or go slower if you do. Its a great deal!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After agonizing over this deal this evening I think I’m going to have to wait for a 4ft. And the only reason is That I want to use the tiller to go between the rows once the garden starts. And planting rows wide enough to accommodate this tiller would be overkill. Everything in me wants the deal and wants to get more bang for my $$ but I have to be able to use this for what I want. When using the walk behind tiller once garden starts I wouldn’t think it was near as good of a deal. I think I can plant rows wide enough to accommodate the 4ft tiller. Does this make sense. Does anyone else use their small 3pt tiller once their garden begins to grow?

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Buy it.

At that price you can get a cultivator for when the garden is planted.

4 Foot rows.... :banghead: What are you planting, a 4 lane highway?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buy it.

At that price you can get a cultivator for when the garden is planted.

4 Foot rows.... :banghead: What are you planting, a 4 lane highway?
Whoa! take it easy! Lol I used a cultivator last year and it worked just ok but I still had to till the center between the rows. I’d say my rows are close to 4ft apart now.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
You don't mention how big your garden is, or how much you want to plant, but if space is not a concern then get the 5 foot tiller.

We've been market gardening for 28 years now. Generally speaking, you match your row spacing according to the equipment you will be using (if space is not a concern). Cause it's way easier to modify veggie row spacing than it is to modify equipment.

And yes, the tiller and cultivators ( 5 feet in width ) are used from planting time till harvest in that particular row spacing.

And where you are planting the imperialists of the garden (space takers) , like melons, cucumbers, pumpkins etc, then you leave lots of room to cultivate when they are at their peak.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You don't mention how big your garden is, or how much you want to plant, but if space is not a concern then get the 5 foot tiller.

We've been market gardening for 28 years now. Generally speaking, you match your row spacing according to the equipment you will be using (if space is not a concern). Cause it's way easier to modify veggie row spacing than it is to modify equipment.

And yes, the tiller and cultivators ( 5 feet in width ) are used from planting time till harvest in that particular row spacing.

And where you are planting the imperialists of the garden (space takers) , like melons, cucumbers, pumpkins etc, then you leave lots of room to cultivate when they are at their peak.
It’s pretty much unlimited the space for the garden. It’s planted in a former pasture we could use 10 acres if we needed to. It may look funny with 6ft spacing on rows but It would work I guess.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
It may look funny with 6ft spacing on rows but It would work I guess.
6 foot row spacing is what we use for quite a few of the veggies. Seems to work just fine for us. The transplants look a little lost in the sea of black at first, but they quickly grow to fill the void.

Things like onions and garlic, celery, parsley utilize wide row planting. i.e ... planted shoulder to shoulder, no room for weeds to grow between plants.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'd get it.
1. it's a smoking deal
2. 2025 will run it no problem, I've never had an issue with a 5' on my 2320. With a hydro, you just slow down a bit if it starts to work.
3. Unlimited space in the garden means get the implements with the best bang for $$

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

It’s pretty much unlimited the space for the garden. It’s planted in a former pasture we could use 10 acres if we needed to. It may look funny with 6ft spacing on rows but It would work I guess.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts