Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used my 46 Snow blower for the first time earlier this week to dig out after the
blizzard. When I was doing the final clean up Saturday morning I sheared a pin!

I had no idea where they were located on this unit but luck was with me. I stopped
the tractor and raised the blower. When I got off and walked around front I saw where
the shear bolt should be.

I didn't have a "shear pin" so I used a 1/4" soft bolt. Does anyone know if this is OK to
use or do I have to have a special shear bolt? If so does anyone happen to have the correct part number?

Thanks,

JDGeek

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts
1/4" bolts are perfect, just dont use grade 8's. There should be a place on the auger IIRC to store some extras.

Reactions: JDGeek

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
1/4" bolts are perfect, just dont use grade 8's. There should be a place on the auger IIRC to store some extras.
I use Grade 2 1/4x20's, but then I use NyLock nuts! I've found that if you tighten them too much with regular nuts, the bolt is streched in 'tensile', and more apt to break. With the NyLocks, I can snug them up nicely without them vibrating off. I also have a plate on the top of the blower housing that has holes for 5- spares. ~Scotty

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
I use Grade 2 1/4x20's, but then I use NyLock nuts! I've found that if you tighten them too much with regular nuts, the bolt is streched in 'tensile', and more apt to break. With the NyLocks, I can snug them up nicely without them vibrating off. I also have a plate on the top of the blower housing that has holes for 5- spares. ~Scotty
My 47 inch snow blower came with grade 5 shear bolts and nylock nuts. There were 4 spares.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my blower has about 6 holes on the right hand side just above where the lift bars attach for shear bolts. mine are also a grade 2 no marks on the bolt head and i also use nylock nuts.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've found that if you tighten them too much with regular nuts, the bolt is streched in 'tensile', and more apt to break. With the NyLocks, I can snug them up nicely without them vibrating off.
That's exactly why I use nylock nuts also. Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I used my 46 Snow blower for the first time earlier this week to dig out after the
blizzard. When I was doing the final clean up Saturday morning I sheared a pin!

I had no idea where they were located on this unit but luck was with me. I stopped
the tractor and raised the blower. When I got off and walked around front I saw where
the shear bolt should be.

I didn't have a "shear pin" so I used a 1/4" soft bolt. Does anyone know if this is OK to
use or do I have to have a special shear bolt? If so does anyone happen to have the correct part number?

Thanks,

JDGeek
As much as we'd love to sell you these, you can certainly find cheaper bolts at the local hardware store!!!

John Deere Cap Screw 19H1914

We suggest buying in bulk!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for All the Good Feedback!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back and thank everyone who responded but I came down sick right after Christmas and today is the first day I felt like doing anything at all.

I really appreciate this forum and all of you support it. It has been very helpful to me on several
occasions including this one.

By the way, my snow blower did have spares but they were covered with frozen snow and I
didn't see them. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.