Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm considering getting one of these 15kw generators from Agri-Supply that has a 3 point hitch frame included:
PTO Driven Generator, Farm Generator, Generator | Agri Supply, 74598

I would like to be able to use it with my 3520 or X750 depending on the circumstance. I know I would only be able to use about ~9kw with the X750 due to the 18HP PTO, but I could get the full 15kw with the 3520.

My X750 currently doesn't have rear PTO or 3 point installed. I am wondering if I really need the 3 point hitch, or if I could use the 3520 to move the generator in place, then hook up the X750 to the generator that's sitting on its frame. Seems like as long as the generator wasn't vibrating and "walking" itself away from the tractor it would work fine. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
20,471 Posts
If you had a way to prevent movement of either generator or tractor, I don't see an issue. Perhaps you can come up with an anchoring system for the generator, use the parking brake and chock the wheels on the tractor. Farmers have done this for years and years.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I could use some sand bags to make sure the generator doesn't move around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you looked into the rear 3 point hitch or PTO attachment for your x750? I bought my x758 with the intention of putting both on later, but haven't had a need for it yet. I think I may do the 3 point hitch just so I have some rear hydraulics to use for projects I have in mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You could just mount the genny on a frame with a tongue (like a trailer) and just keep it hitched to the drawbar if you have no other use for a 3pth. As someone has already said farmers have been "securing" implements like gennys and silage blowers to the ground and backing a tractor up to the implement without being hitched for as long as I can remember, just have to be certain nothing moves or its gonna get noisy and expensive quick!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you looked into the rear 3 point hitch or PTO attachment for your x750? I bought my x758 with the intention of putting both on later, but haven't had a need for it yet. I think I may do the 3 point hitch just so I have some rear hydraulics to use for projects I have in mind.
Yes, checked price on both at a few online parts dealers. The PTO is more expensive, but easier to install than the 3 point hitch. Both would be required for something like a rear PTO driven tiller or finish mower, but for a drawbar-attached or stationary implement only the PTO would be needed. The 3 point hitch won't give you rear hydraulic connections if that's what you are looking for.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, checked price on both at a few online parts dealers. The 3 point hitch won't give you rear hydraulic connections if that's what you are looking for.
Remember the prices? I seem to recall $800 and change for the pto, but can't remember what the salesman told me for the 3 pt hitch setup when I bought it a year and a half ago. And yeah, I didn't mean hydraulic connections, I meant just having hydraulic function in the rear is what I want to get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Where are you wanting to use this generator? If your going to run it for large amounts of time you have to keep an eye on temps because you can blow the motor. If you want it to give you power for like tools and things that'd be ok. But for running anything for an extended amount of time i'd get a dedicated generator with safety cutoffs. Thats just my 2 cents on it. But yes if you want to mount it somewhere and run it off the x750 thats fine just make sure it is very securely mounted. If not the pto with jerk the entire generator around and possibly tear it up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Generator PTO vs stand alone

Go with a stand alone!!
We got hit by a tornado on July 1, 2011
Generator ran almost 4 days, you do NOT want to do that to your tractor!!
If I blew it up, I would have been out $400.00 (used 5500 watt generator).
Think what it would cost to replace motor on your tractor....
I needed the tractor to clear the debris, etc.
Just my experience & opinion.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have a whole house generator. IMHO the best way to go. There is no way I want to go out side when the power goes out. 5-10 seconds our lights come back on with generator power. Have a 1000 gal propane tank. Should run for a while!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Go with a stand alone!!
We got hit by a tornado on July 1, 2011
Generator ran almost 4 days, you do NOT want to do that to your tractor!!
If I blew it up, I would have been out $400.00 (used 5500 watt generator).
Think what it would cost to replace motor on your tractor....
I needed the tractor to clear the debris, etc.
Just my experience & opinion.
Totally agree with this. A stand-alone that's designed to run and run and run is a better option than putting hours on a tractor just to run a generator. Spending $$$ to put the PTO kit on the X750 is silly if you do not intend to put the 3 point on it. Almost anything you would run with the rear PTO would also require a 3-point hitch.

Going 'cheap' and trying to run a generator with a rear PTO without a 3-point on the X750 is dangerous and not a good idea. If that generator got loose while running, at best you're gonna trash the genny and tractor, at worst you're gonna get yourself of someone else killed. It just ain't worth it!

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Stand Alone is a beter Option

I have looked at the 3 point hitch PTO generators and came to these conclusions.

1. I would rather not accumulate hours on my tractor engine solely for running the seperate PTO Generator. It is using a very expensive source of power to generate electricty which can be generated by another source much more cost effectively.

2. The good stand alone portable generators whether gas or diesel, can produce this power without tying up the tractor and effectively taking it out of use for any other purpose when I would have it parked to generate power through the PTO. I usually need my tractor for tree cleanup whenever our power goes out.

3. The cost to add a rear PTO and 3 pt hitch to your 750 is a bit more than you probably expect. I think the PTO kit is about $800 or $900 parts alone and the hitch is probably another $300 to $500. And the labor to install the rear PTO and hitch is likely to be 3 or 4 hours.

4. I certainly wouldn't risk running anything on my PTO which was not securely anchored to the 3 point hitch. Things could get ugly in a hurry trying to cut corners here and someone could be seriously hurt or worse when the generator starts flopping around on the end of the PTO shaft. Plus, such use would likely void the generator warranty after it is tumbled around. Not to mention the damage to that beautiful 750 JD!!

5. If you want portability to take the generator to different locations, go with a stand alone portable generator to meet your needs. Otherwise, if you are going to use it to power your home or shop, install a permanent one and hook it up to a fuel source and with the auto transfer switch, you won't even have to get out of bed when the power goes out........

Just my thoughts on the subject.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
The PTO Generator you are considering

I tried to enlarge the picture image of the generator in the link you provided and it wouldn't open. I did notice that the 25KW PTO generator which is sold by the same company is of the Winco variety. The generator you are considering doesn;t appear to be a Winco brand as it looks differently than the Winco version of that same generator.

There are a ton of China made generators floating around out there. Many do NOT have good customer use records. Since I can not tell what brand the Generator you are considering, I would urge you to carefully research the owner / user reviews of anything you are considering. The Winco appears to be highly rated by owners. Many others are not.

I am NOT implying the Winco generator is made in China, as I simply do not know whether or not this is true. I will say I have seen a lot of PTO generators which are made in China and the reliability of many of those has been quite troublesome.

Just one more thing to think about.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the comments, I haven't bought anything yet. Probably won't until next year. I came close to buying the PTO kit and 3 point kit from GFP when they had the recent 12% off sale, but didn't yet. I still need to stop by Agri-Supply sometime and look at the generator in person to see the brand and specifications. I've also seen some lightly used PTO generators pop up on craigslist from time to time in my area.

I already have a couple standalone gas generators but they are small units. 6KW or less. Fine for running some power tools or well pump, and they are reasonably portable. Since they normally sit unused, maintenance is an annoyance. They have to be started regularly, and the gas even with stabilizer needs to be used up or drained within a year. Couple that with the issues of trying to store any substantial quantity of gasoline. The standalone diesel generators I have seen are not cost effective compared with a PTO unit, especially at the 15kw mark. You have liquid cooled engines and Tier 4 at that level. I realize the PTO unit is not capable of "standby" operation like a permanently installed generator.

The idea of putting the PTO/hitch on the X750 is so that I would have the bigger tractor available to do "storm cleanup" duty. I don't need to mow the grass if the power is out :) However, I'm not sure this is worth the extra ~$1400 for only 9kw potential.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I strongly urge you to look into a generac system. They run off of propane and depending on size will run everything in your house and then some and not even know it. Couple that with an automatic transfer switch and you don't even have to get off the couch. And most of the time won't know it save for the 10 seconds the tv is off and the lights flicker. Plus they basically maintain themselves. They start up once a week and run for I believe and hour. Depending on model and manufacturer. Use your portable ones for other stuff like running power tools. The pto route isn't worth the extra risk to your tractor. My grandpa ran a pto genny for ever. He decided to get an automatic backup generator when he accidentally blew up the tractor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts