Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mower has been running lean on gas for a while. I refueled yesterday and it would not keep running unless I held the choke all the way on. The fuel filter looks almost empty of gas. I am thinking the gas tank pickup is clogged. Is there any easy way to unclog it?

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
Pull the fender pan and go from theee

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
11,950 Posts
Before you pull the tank, I would run a can of SeaFoam through the fuel system when the tank has at least 2 gallons of gas in it. Generally, when the choke has to be closed to keep the engine running, the carb is clogged with crud from the ethanol and the fuel flow in the carb is compromised. Try the Sea Foam treatment first and then, if the problem persists, its likely carb cleaning and rebuild time. Cleaning the tank likely won't solve the problem, but it sure won't hurt.

·
Premium Member
11,950 Posts
The fuel filter in line should be changed as well. The parts schematic doesn't show any type of "pick up screen" on the fuel pick up tube in the tank, so that shouldn't be an issue. Make sure the fuel cap vent isn't plugged......

Screenshot_2021-03-25 John Deere Parts Catalog.png

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,267 Posts
if the problem persists, its likely carb cleaning and rebuild time.
If you can't find the problem in the tank or lines; and have to resort to carb cleaning/rebuild, check the Main Jet.
May have foreign material partially blocking the flow of gasoline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts