Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to always being parked outdoors the underside of my trailer and vehicle is starting to develop some rust on various suspension components, fasteners, etc. I'm looking for recommendations for a spray on rust converter. I'm limited to what I can access while on standard car ramps so I can't really get at the areas to clean them so I'm just looking for something I can spray on which will neutralize rust and perhaps slow down the progression. I don't plan to paint anything afterwards.

Anything out there that does a good job under these conditions?

·
Registered
913 Posts
POR-15. Can be thinned and sprayed if you have spray equipment. Using rattle cans of it will be expensive as they are around $20 each.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
POR-15. Can be thinned and sprayed if you have spray equipment. Using rattle cans of it will be expensive as they are around $20 each.
I definitely need something in rattle cans. I'm not looking to coat the whole vehicle, just the rusty spots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had good luck with the RustOleum product. Turns black instantly and seems to hold up. Not good luck with the Krylon

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've used this and it works. Plus Eastwood is a quality company.

Don't believe the "ready to paint" crap. Yes, it is ready if you don't care how it looks afterwards. I use the brush on stuff. For auto body repair it will convert Fe2O3 to a neutral substance that will keep the rust from spreading, but after it does its thing you sand it flush, fill and paint.

See here for a complete list of professional products.

For undercarriage work you're probably not worried about the appearance...

Al

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Unfortunately, if you have anything other than light surface rust, it will require some work to clean it before coating it, or at best you’ve only slowed it down slightly.
POR-15 or KBS Coatings are both awesome, but require some prep to work properly.

I’m actually in a similar situation with a rotary mower as I don’t want to do a ton of prep, so I’ve decided on the Rustoleum rust converter.
It would likely help you, but it really should be topcoated with some type of paint for best results. I believe the issue is that once it’s done, it’s still a somewhat porous coating, so it doesn’t stop moisture nearly as well as paint.

Would it be possible to hit the scaley rust with a wire brush first? That would help tremendously, if there is any.
Also any cheap spray paint or, even better, undercoating, would work great to prevent more rust if you could spray it on after the converter has done its thing.

All that said, there are heavy wax type coatings that you could spray right over all of it, but if moisture is trapped behind it, the rust will keep spreading just as fast.
In that same line of thinking, Fluid Film works ok, but doesn’t hold up too long wjen exposed to the weather.

I did watch a video about this before I picked the rustoleum stuff that was about an oil type product. I’ll see if I can find it.
Pretty sure when I looked it up for the price it was considerably more expensive than the route I chose, and had to have special equipment to spray it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts