Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to use my tractor w/54" snowblower for the first time this morning. Only had 4 to 5 inches but it was a wet heavy snow and the chute clogged up a few times.

My driveway is 650' long and I am going to have to get a salt/sand spreader for my tractor. There's a fairly good grade (up) leaving the end of the driveway into the street. I did my site search and searched the web and discovered there are a LOT of different brands out there, Meyer, Western, Fisher, Boss, SnowEx, SaltDogg, Earthway, etc. My 1025 has the 54" snowblower, Curtis Cab and a Heavy Hitch suitcase weight attachment on my 3-point hitch as you can see in the picture below. Because it has the 2" receiver, I want to get a tailgate spreader but don't need anything above 300 lbs.

Any suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

HeavyHitch1.jpg

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
No matter what you do the salt will eventually eat it up.Polly would be you lightest option.Check your local truck equipment supplier.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Got to use my tractor w/54" snowblower for the first time this morning. Only had 4 to 5 inches but it was a wet heavy snow and the chute clogged up a few times.
Were you running the blower at full throttle (PTO speed) at all times? I've used my 54" blower on everything from fluffy snow, wet heavy stuff to literally slush and I've never had a clog. I always run the blower with the RPMs at the indicated PTO mark.

My driveway is 650' long and I am going to have to get a salt/sand spreader for my tractor. There's a fairly good grade (up) leaving the end of the driveway into the street. I did my site search and searched the web and discovered there are a LOT of different brands out there, Meyer, Western, Fisher, Boss, SnowEx, SaltDogg, Earthway, etc. My 1025 has the 54" snowblower, Curtis Cab and a Heavy Hitch suitcase weight attachment on my 3-point hitch as you can see in the picture below. Because it has the 2" receiver, I want to get a tailgate spreader but don't need anything above 300 lbs.

Any of the dedicated sand/salt spreaders should work well. As you've probably seen they can be a bit pricey. I would avoid trying to adapt a standard lawn spreader for sand/salt duty. Are you sure you really need to spread sand/salt? They can really go through a ton of material during a winter. Perhaps after you finish with the blower swapping over to a front blade for final clean up. Or... use a rear blade in conjunction with the blower. That's what I do. I have gravel so I blow the snow while leaving a thin layer so I don't get any gravel. Then I go back with the blade and scrape it bare so it will melt out. A 5-foot rear blade will still give you 200-250 lbs. of rear weight.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were you running the blower at full throttle (PTO speed) at all times? I've used my 54" blower on everything from fluffy snow, wet heavy stuff to literally slush and I've never had a clog. I always run the blower with the RPMs at the indicated PTO mark.

Any of the dedicated sand/salt spreaders should work well. As you've probably seen they can be a bit pricey. I would avoid trying to adapt a standard lawn spreader for sand/salt duty. Are you sure you really need to spread sand/salt? They can really go through a ton of material during a winter. Perhaps after you finish with the blower swapping over to a front blade for final clean up. Or... use a rear blade in conjunction with the blower. That's what I do. I have gravel so I blow the snow while leaving a thin layer so I don't get any gravel. Then I go back with the blade and scrape it bare so it will melt out. A 5-foot rear blade will still give you 200-250 lbs. of rear weight.
I had to run the throttle at 3200 rpm today because the snow was so wet and heavy. And yes I definitely need a dedicated salt spreader. I think I may go with either the Boss or Meyer brand.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I had to run the throttle at 3200 rpm today because the snow was so wet and heavy. And yes I definitely need a dedicated salt spreader. I think I may go with either the Boss or Meyer brand.
I was looking at the smallest model Meyer makes for the back of my Wrangler. If I still had a need for one that's what I would buy.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts

View attachment 505698
I've had my front mount snow blower clog in shallower/wet snow also. I even spray my chute with snow blower chute non-clog spray and it still clogged at times.

Now, this only happens with snow that is not very deep and is wet (not fluffy) snow. Mostly when the blower isn't getting fed a sufficient enough snow to keep a steady flow of snow going out the chute.

I personally have concluded, the snow blower is for deeper, dry snows. All other snows, I use my broom for snows up to about 3" and above that, the front blade up to about 6". I also usually hang my box blade on the 3 point to pull the snow away from my garage doors. The box blade works OK for just pulling the snow away from the doors. I wouldn't want to use it to plow long distances.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts

I have had problems with my snow blower clogging in less deep, wet snow. Do you do anything special to keep yours from clogging. I run mine at PTO RPM.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
I have had problems with my snow blower clogging in less deep, wet snow. Do you do anything special to keep yours from clogging. I run mine at PTO RPM.
Not really. I've driven through everything from 30" of packed drifted snow that was coming back over the top of the blower housing to a few inches of heavy wet goo along the side of the road and have never had the chute clog. Other than repainting the inside of my chute after each season I don't do anything special.

Reactions: Ray_PA

·
Registered
388 Posts
One thing that I do when we have a wet heavy snow is hold off from using the snow blower until early the next morning. By that time, the overnight cold temperatures have dried out the moisture in the snow.

Dave

Reactions: Shortstuff

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
One thing that I do when we have a wet heavy snow is hold off from using the snow blower until early the next morning. By that time, the overnight cold temperatures have dried out the moisture in the snow.

Dave
Sunday was a similar plan, but it was get out before it warms up. My ground was just frozen enough to only get minor damage. The snow was dry and blew well. Then I watched my neighbors put as much mud through their walk behinds as snow, with regular stops for clogs.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I have the Meyer BL240. It works great I have put 200lbs of salt at one time never had a problem. I mounted the control panel with Velcro and this is my second year using it. I have it mounter behind my 1025r.
t

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I have a Curtis Fast cast 2000 on the back of my X738. The variable speed controller is mounted in the cab run to a fuse block. They are made for salt but I use dried sand I store in my barn. I also have a vibrator by Curtis in case the sand hangs up in the poly tub. It works great. I had this unit since 2005, knock on wood, it has served me well. Ran the fuse block to the battery and have a 25 amp inline fuse and the vibrator plugs into my 12 volt plug in the cab and I control it with the dash switch.. I love this sander... It will attach to a three point or a 2" receiver. If you use the three point you will need to purchase the adaptor.. But I see you want to use the 2" receiver.. no problem that's what they are actually built for. I believe I still have the pics in my TJ1 pictures on my album, if I didnt delete it yet! Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Not really. I've driven through everything from 30" of packed drifted snow that was coming back over the top of the blower housing to a few inches of heavy wet goo along the side of the road and have never had the chute clog. Other than repainting the inside of my chute after each season I don't do anything special.
Interesting!! I have never had a problem with deeper snow where the blower is being fed a steady diet of snow so that it is steady blowing. The problem that I have had is in the few inches of wet snow where the blower isn't full of snow and the chute isn't full all the time. :dunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts